BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: From Risk to ??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
Henrik Hardorf

Alaska
msg tools
Hi all,

New to this forum, but i would like some advise on what game to get.

We are some who gather from time to time to have a good evening of games, and we often play Risk. But it become very tiersome after an hour or 2. So now we want something new to play, but i dont have an idea what to get.

I like the idea with the Mission cards, so it is different each time, instead of gathering x amount of this in y amount of turns.

It should also be playable in a few hours, so it dosnt last all night long, and we should be able to have a drink or 3 while we play

What do you recommend.. just throw some ideas and why you think that your idea is a good game. I can always read some reviews here after

Delling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Pletter
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Nexus Ops.

2-4 players, doesn't take too long, and you win based on Victory Points gained through secret missions. The board is modular, so these factors ensure a different game each time.

Overall a fun "free for all" kill-each-other game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Nexus Ops
Risk 2210
Star Wars Risk- original trilogy version just came out.

Those three are all very similar to regular risk but with more variety and choices. What kind of theme is your group into? Civil War, WWII, SciFi, Napoleonics, etc? As you'll see as you spend more time here at BGG, there are a LOT of games out there. If you're into fantasy in general, or LOTR specifically I'd also recommend you look at War of the Ring by fantasy flight games.

Samurai Swords (also sold as Shogun) is an out of print game by Milton Bradley. It is an extremely good multiplayer conflict game set in feudal Japan- The best of all the "risk-like" games, althought it has much more depth than risk. There are usually copies for sale on ebay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Any of the Ticket to Ride games have mission cards (of sorts) with objectives that need to be completed (cities that need to be linked). The Marklin edition is the latest and best version.

Relatively quick, breezy, and entertaining play with a touch of conflict (depending on your crowd).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first game I thought of was Risk 2210. You could also check out Lord of the Rings Risk. It really depends on what you like about Risk. If you want a new experience with more negotiating and a little bit less luck, I recommend A Game of Thrones, but that one may be too long for your tastes. If you like the dice-chucking aspect, you could try Axis and Allies or Nexus Ops, both of which play pretty quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
If you want to transfer from Risk to something more advanced, Risk 2210 A.D. uses the same Risk system with a more advanced board, commanders, and command cards.

I would also recommend Vinci as something that has a similar feel (e.g. fighting, capturing territory) but is an entirely different game. I've not yet introduced Vinci to my Risk-playing friends, but after playing it, I feel that it would be a game they could get into and wrap their heads around. And the added bonus is that the game should wrap up in around 90 to 120 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Star Wars and Lord of the Rings Risk are very interesting games. They play in a shorter amount of time than regular risk and don't require as many people to play.

I second the recommendation for Vinci. You can try it online at http://ludagora.net/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Shogun might be something to check out... It is a retheme of the game Wallenstein (first edition). Shogun is not available yet, it should be very soon. I've played Wellenstein and thought that it is the game that I'd play with Risk fans... Shogun will be the same, just Sengoku period Japan rather than Thirty Year War theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say a good progression is to try passed Risk and A&A is:

Struggle of Empires
Antike
The End of the Triumvirate
Princes of the Renaissance
Vinci
History of the World
Manifest Destiny
Antiquity

To name a few.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Smidt
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me Nexus Ops will scratch that itch and can be played within an hour. The cards vary the game play significantly and the bonus lately is you can find Nexus Ops for about $20 now in most places.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sisk
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Duel of Ages. Good fun, doesn't take too long (shorter than Risk), more fun, and enough variety with the base set to keep it fresh (and plenty of expansions if you want more).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome Delling!

There are a hand-full of games that I would recommend if you want to take the Risk format to a whole new level. They all maintain the same elements of building up your army of plastic soldiers and going out to gain territory and conquer your friends' armies, but they add a lot of fun elements that you won't find in a basic game of Risk. For those who enjoy that kind of game (like myself!), they all seem to be excellent games, and it might come down to what theme you most enjoy. All can be played while having a drink or 3, and although some may run beyond a few hours, I'm sure you won't find yourself becoming bored.

Second world war era:

1) ATTACK! and ATTACK! EXPANSION - This has been my favourite game for the past few years, but getting the expansion is a MUST. Even when starting with the basic game, I would highly recommend adding the naval rules from the expansion (Rules #VI, VII, XVI, XVII, XVIII, XXIII, XXIV from the expansion rule book).

2) AXIS AND ALLIES, REVISED EDITION - I have never played it, but I've heard a lot of good things about it.

Ancient Rome era:

3) CONQUEST OF THE EMPIRE (the newer edition) - I just picked this up a few days ago and have read through both rule books, but have not yet had a chance to play. It is the most visually stunning game I have seen so far, with a HUGE map and components. And the bonus is, you get two completely different games in one. The first is a very basic build up an army and bash your opponents type of affair, and the second is a very interesting-looking game with several neat elements to it, much like the advanced version of Attack!

Medieval Japan/Samurai era:

4) SHOGUN (also known as SAMURAI SWORDS, and not to be confused with the new game of the same name that is soon to be released) - I second Prizziap's endorsement. I have not played it in well over a decade, but I have very fond memories of this fine game.

As you can see, this is a subject that I rather enjoy, and I hope this is helpful. Happy gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend checking out:

-Nexus Ops
-Wallenstein (soon available as "Shogun")
-Tigris & Euphrates
-A Game of Thrones

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Hardorf

Alaska
msg tools
Hi all,

Thanks for the good advice. Im going to look into what you all have recommended, though i didnt explain it very well.

It dosnt have to be a game like Risk we expand to. But some kind of strategy game, where you get some kind of mission cards, so the game can differ from time to time. Dosnt have to be a wargame.

Delling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Cormier
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Settlers of Catan if you don't have it yet. You all need to interact and achieve victory points. It's the gateway drug for most gamers leaving Risk on to the wider arena of boardgames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dawn
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome Delling,
If it were not for the time factor I would recommend Kingmaker. It is out of print but not to hard to find a used copy. The rules do allow for a time limit game but that changes the strategy quite a bit. It also plays much better with the variant event cards and rules but those can be harder to find. Unfortunately the reviews and comments here at BGG might steer you away. If you ever do try Kingmaker let me know how you liked it.

Long Live Kingmaker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Beard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
kingmaker fan wrote:
Welcome Delling,
If it were not for the time factor I would recommend Kingmaker. It is out of print but not to hard to find a used copy. The rules do allow for a time limit game but that changes the strategy quite a bit. It also plays much better with the variant event cards and rules but those can be harder to find. Unfortunately the reviews and comments here at BGG might steer you away. If you ever do try Kingmaker let me know how you liked it.

Long Live Kingmaker.

In relation to this comment. I own kingmaker, love the theme and feel of it, but the actual mechanics of the game mean huge downtime for anyone defeated early in the game and the ending can be either tedious or frustratingly random and arbitrary. I would not suggst it as the next game after Risk, despite the fact that I still play it. I would suggest looking to some of the other suggestions made above. Definitely spend some time looking at the varying reviews for the different games to see which appeals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Beard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Sorry, too many uses of the word suggest and variants in my last post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.