Subject: New to BGG & Eurogaming rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike LeDuc
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I've dabbled in Eurogames over the years, but never picked one up myself...
I happened to drop by a local gamer store in town and talked to the guy there, and nearly bought a little game called Candyman (passed on it at the time) Did a search for information on the game and found this site. I then realized that there are TONS of much better games out there to try.

I picked Carcassone for some reason out of the mix. Lucky for me, the Big Box was just going to be released, so I ordered that.

Oh what fun!! My wife and I have been enjoying 2player matches in the evening, we were still just using the initial set as to keep the games shorter, and not as complex while we learn the ins and outs of the game.

Now I have a small game group made up of 6-8 people, we usually play "party" games. I brought this the last time in anticipation of a smaller turn out of people. We had 6, excellent!

I started out playing 2 games will a few people and just the basic set, as the night went on, a couple of people started reading the rules on their own, and explored the expansion information too, and was wondering why we weren't using those; specifically the dragon expansion.

So, the last game of the night we played with that expansion. Oh what fun. If you have a slightly vindictive and aggressive group, which likes to cause frustration to others in good natured fun, this expansion is perfect. I've heard other stories that the dragon expansion is a bit too aggressive, but I felt it added quite an interesting aspect to the game.

I can't wait at all to start to incorporate the other expansions in to my game play as well.

I'm so happy I picked up this game, and I can see myself playing it, and bringing it with me to a wide range of settings. It's just that broad of a game! It's quite an interesting game that easily draws in people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Toups
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad to hear someone else is addicted to Carcassonne. My wife and I pretty regularly play two player games of it...though they're starting to feel a bit repetitive, since we're too nice to really mess with one another's scoring opportunities.
-Zach

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike LeDuc
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see how that could happen. Bringing in a number of other people and Princess&The Dragon added a lot of added play. The group was rather vindictive... As I won the frist game via farmers, and was really close on the second game, all the newbies felt that farmers were the way to go... So they were sure to feed that dragon a farmer nearly every round!!!

I believe it wasn't until the last around of tiles that a farmer was placed on the map.... Lucky for him, the whole board was 1 field!!!! needless to say, he easily won. (getting a giant 30+point keep helped too)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Harper
Germany
Magdeburg
Thuringia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming that you picked up an English-language copy of the game - if so, what were the rules for scoring farms? They're the most controversial aspect of Carcassonne, and I wondered if RGG had changed them here at all…

Cool you like the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike LeDuc
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seemed pretty basic. 4 points to the color who supplies the most farms to the keep.

Where has the possible confusion showed in the past?
I could easily type them out verbatim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Harper
Germany
Magdeburg
Thuringia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The confusion is that there are three editions of rules - in Germany we've been using the third generation rules for about 5 years, but RGG refuse to updated theirs. What this means is that when someone asks for a rules clarification, the answer depends on which rule set they're using - and so a lot of contradictory information gets passed around.

I noticed you found the other thread (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1185830#1185830) - that's a better place to discuss the implications. I just wanted to check…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.