Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Rudram
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In round one, it appears that being the King of England is a powerful more: you'll get 8 points for being first to take the spot, you'll get another 8 in all likelihood for running the country, and you're hard to dispose as leader from that point, getting another 8 points in the next two rounds. 32 points, plus a good shot at being first to get all three regions.

Of course, you need to draw the red cards early on, but this looks like the best of the 'Royals' to take if you have the chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mikols
United States
Avondale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True this is a valid strategy, but in this case the game really is self balancing. Allow me to give some examples.

If you are holding out for English influence to become king you most likely will be forfeiting the noble house bonus if there's 4-5 players. Other players will be spreading influence to all the characters getting the large circle bonuses and you will have to make up that difference somewhere else. Maybe by winning a high scoring character, the King outright or princess or cardinal.

And while running the influence through England will get you the bonus it is the smallest bonus in the game at 5. On top of which England is the hardest country to get into since the lowest card set you need is a 3 on the countess and odds are you'll have to use some intrigue to get some of these positions by now. These again are more reasons this game is self balancing.

To me, I've played this game a ton, there's just so many points on the board (three hundred and thirty something or so?) that there is no one strategy to exploit. I'll outright say it even, there is no exploits! I've seen high scoring countries dominated by a player, all 10 point bonuses from France, and that player still loses. If you let people run the board on you while you hunker down in one country it is quite possible you can lose.

This of course is just my 2 cents tho
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rudram
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have to play more, and I wouldn't aim to just go for the King, but if the cards fall that way, it seems to be a very strong strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Kristensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is always a strong strategy to get a king, as they are difficult to coup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.