Chris Amburn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have to tell y'all how indie designers have to do everything, and the worst of it to me is website design. I recently overhauled my website and I wanted to ask for some feedback on how it looks from a game designer's perspective. Is there anything I should add or change to showcase my games better? What solutions did you discover when building your own websites?

www.newexperienceworkshop.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe say "Our Games" or "Menu" as the menu title. Maybe say something about your design philosophy, the types of games you want to make or the audience you want to reach. Maybe have BGG links on the pages for each game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Literally Wizards
msg tools
Full-time web developer here. I would recommend putting About and Contact options in the menu, as well as focus on getting the site to be responsive to mobile browsers. That's a pretty big one lately, Google just rolled out changes to their ranking algorithm and you can get penalized pretty hard for not having a responsive site. Other than that it looks good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stijn Hommes
Netherlands
Dordrecht
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see the Shoot Out! Print & Play is no longer available.
Unless this means you've been picked up by a big publisher who asked you to take it down, I urge you to either commit to keeping it up or not bother to begin with.

The way you handled it now makes it look like you don't trust players to give feedback.

I also support the idea of putting an "About us" and a "Contact" section in the menu. Especially a contact section is important. Some things are better discussed outside of social media where everyone can see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure at all what the relevance of that B&W photo on the front page is... it seems redundant, or is there some deeply subtle message I am missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Amburn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for responding! I'm sorry I didn't reply earlier but it's been a busy week. I added a contact and about page now.

As for the questions and comments, here are the explanations.
Our Games is a great menu title. The way the system I'm using works the menu title is the name of the home page and I couldn't think of anything that pulled the double duty well enough.
The Shootout! PnP was meant to be a little gift for the people who met us during our conventions and checked out the website. I re-worded it to express that more effectively.
The black and white image was a placeholder from when I first launched the site and I dug the vintage workshop so I kept it. It doesn't have anything to do with the games though, so I took it off.
I'll put in BGG links as well, and I checked the site using google's deal and it said it showed up as being mobile-friendly.
Thanks for taking a look and telling me what you think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.