Scott Loveless
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
I'm buying a toy store with an emphasis on educational toys and I would like to introduce a selection of kid and family friendly games. I would sure appreciate any suggestions you guys might have for currently available games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's your target age group?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Search publishers at the top of the page for

Educational Insights and Gamewright

pretty much every game by these companies will be what you are looking for

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
fullerbd wrote:
Search publishers at the top of the page for

Educational Insights and Gamewright

Be careful about stocking Gamewright games. Wal-Mart carries many of them and I'm sure it would be difficult for you to compete on price.

I would also suggest Ravensburger and Haba as publishers of well-done "family-with-young-children" games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that the games that have won the Spiel Des Jahres are good family games.

I'm sure someone can point you to a better list, but my scanty research only came up with this German language list at Wikipedia (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiel_des_Jahres)

I made a geek list of games I play with my three year old...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I seriously doubt they will let you sell kids in your toy store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goewert
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get a hookup with Educational Insights and Playroom games.

EI is great in that you can buy not-for-resale demo copies of everything they have for about 10% MSRP. This includes everything from Blokus to Sea Monkeys. All of their games play fun in families for the 8 years plus crowd.

Playroom specializes in kids games. Most of their material floats around the 6 - 12 years old catergory.

Other than that: Monopoly, Sorry, Scene-It, and LCR will be your most requested games. Doh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Legomancer wrote:
I seriously doubt they will let you sell kids in your toy store.

Damn, beat me to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nils zilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
ok, yes, it is my company
but i think the aussie rules super fishing adventure
and aussie rules super subsistence farmer might fit into the realm of what you seek.
both games are educational
fishing adventure is a memory game that teaches players to recognize over 20 species of fish(ages 8+)
subsistence farmer is more of a microeconomics game that teaches the climate requirements and latin names of over 20 different plant species

they are both really new and dont appear on this site yet
but they can be seen on www.zilchgames.net

i hope that it is not rude for me to suggest my site
but i honestly think you might like the games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blokus, Ingenious, Rumis, A-MAZE-ing Labyrinth, Mancala

Smart Mouth, 25 Words or Less, Wordigo, Who What Where Jr., Taboo Jr.

Haba: Charades, Who Am I?, Akaba, Black Pirate, Animal on Animal, Mouse in the House, Zitternix, Dancing Eggs

Selecta: Mago Magino, Viva Topo, Picco Gusto, Plumino, Numero

Card games: Sleeping Queens, Rat-a-Tat Cat, Loco!, Circus Flohcati, No Thanks, Krypto, Battle Dot 2, Set, Guillotine, Ricochet, Sherlock, Blink, Sleuth, Nobody But Us Chickens

Ticket to Ride, Incan Gold, 10 Days in USA/Africa/Europe/Asia, Gulo Gulo, Chicken Cha Cha Cha, Max (Family Pastimes), Top Secret Spies, Tumbling Dice, Gobblet, Phoenix, Khet

In my city (Washington, DC), it appears as if a toystore with an educational bent can get away without carrying (or at least without devoting much shelf space to) Sorry, LCR, etc. People go to ToysRUs for that stuff and are generally looking for something different when they head to a store like you're describing. Try to know (and/or have staff who know) the less familiar games you're selling, so that you can steer customers to appropriate choices. Once you build trust by doing that, they'll look to you as a resource. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Deniz Bucak
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
As Above, So Below
badge
My books are forgeries. Nobody wrote them. - Philip K. Dick
mbmbmbmbmb
Haba and Selecta have great games for younger kids and aren't carried at the chains, so you would have less competition. Gigamic's games work well with my children (Gobblet, Cathedral, Batik Kid.) I would second Blokus as an excellent game for kids. Also Rio Grande has a surprising number of great games for kids, including Gulo Gulo, Zircus Flohcati, Pick Picnic and Chicken Cha Cha Cha. Mayfair's Hey That's My Fish is a good one. And look into importing Pitchcar and Pitchcar Mini.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some good recommendations here. But whatever the games you decide to stock, I suggest running some workshops to introduce these games to parents and kids. Especially between now and Xmas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP LaChance
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get someone in the store that knows about the games

have demo copies set out in the store as dislays

I'd also recommend Days of wonder titles....

best of luck

JP

Ticket to ride, Blokus, a card game or three

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Loveless
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Thanks for all your suggestions they're a real help. My target audience is 4-12 year olds however I'm a gamer and a father and I really value a game that appeals to the whole family.

Upon further review apparently it is illeagal to sell kids in Wa. State, thanks for the heads up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
leisure_king wrote:
Upon further review apparently it is illeagal to sell kids in Wa. State, thanks for the heads up.

That's too bad. They're so useful for doing laundry, taking out the trash, mowing the lawn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
leisure_king wrote:

That's too bad. They're so useful for doing laundry, taking out the trash, mowing the lawn...

The problem with having them mow the lawn is that they can sometimes run over their chain. It can get wrapped up around the axle and cause needless repair costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two more, but I don't know if they are distributed in the US: Nacht der Magier and Geistertreppe (make sure to get the expansion as well).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Scott,

You should definitely check out Mark Christiansen's (cull) children games website, available at:
http://www.kidgameratings.com/

Best of luck with your store!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Loveless
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
ahhhh...perfect website. Thank you Tom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.