Cuisine a la Card» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Very fun game - the kids loved it! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
My friend got a copy of the game to review for his blog, and he let me borrow it to try out with my family. My wife and I each picked a side, with my 6 year old daughter on my team and my 9 year old son on my wife's team.

The kids enjoy games like Catan Jr., Dixit, and King of Tokyo, so they're used to games with a little more going on that, say, Candyland, but admittedly this game was probably a little over their heads without a teammate.

My wife and I both enjoy Dominion quite a bit, and as a deck building game this one seemed very much in that style. Plus, my wife is a bit of a cook, so this game seemed right up our alley.

The instructions are pretty straightforward, so it didn't take us long to get going.

The main fun in the game is trying to come up with fun combinations, both for the points and the abilities within the game, but also the meta aspect of the fact that you are supposed to "name" your dish as you present it to the judges.

My daughter had a great time presenting "Octopus and Apple Pie" and "Salty Bok Choi simmered in a Soy Milk sauce". Unfortunately my wife and son pulled off the winning dish just before we were able to play our "Spicy Lobster and Salami Bread" which would have won the game for our side.

But the kids loved it, and it definitely seemed like the kind of game that would have great replay value. The kids wanted to play again immediately (but it was bedtime) Hopefully we'll get to play again before I have to return it.

I'm definitely backing the kickstarter, and it looks like they're going to get funded. I hope they get enough for the expansions they have planned, because I can already think of some fun ideas.

For example, I think it would be great if there were some "goal" cards, kind of like Ticket to Ride, where you were encouraged to his certain ingredient combinations for extra points. That in and of itself would make a fun expansion. But all in all, great game and a great concept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kosior
United States
Watervliet/Latham
New York
flag msg tools
MrDarkHorse wrote:

For example, I think it would be great if there were some "goal" cards, kind of like Ticket to Ride, where you were encouraged to his certain ingredient combinations for extra points. That in and of itself would make a fun expansion. But all in all, great game and a great concept.

"Perfect Pairings"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.