Ricky Dang
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings everyone,
I'm looking to see if anyone BGG'ers would be interested in helping me out run a 8 Saturday summer program class for kids over the summer. I'm part of United East Athletic Association, specifically, part of the Fun Fun Saturday Program. It's a 8 Saturday program where kids can take part in a variety of classes, such as the tradition writing, basketball, science classes, but also some more uncommon ones, such as karate and, of course, tabletop games.

I've been running the board game club (officially, it's considered a class, but I'm not really teaching anything...) for 2 years now and this year is my 3rd. I'm looking to expand the size a bit more this year, but it's difficult. The only person that knows games back and front is my girlfriend. The rest that are assigned to me, I need to teach as they are new to the hobby. I would need to be on standby during class in case something pops up, limiting how large my class can be with newbies to tabletop. Thus, it's my dream to have some people to help me out who are ready to go and are passionate about the hobby. That's where you guys come in!

So if you've got to this part of the wall of text, hopefully you have some interest. The requirement to become a volunteer as follows:
-At least age 15 this year (so yes, parents, if you got a slacker in the house, send 'em over!)
-Complete an application and get interviewed
-Commitment to the following 8 days (June 20, 27, July 11, 18, 25, August 1, 8, 15)

Easy right? As for what you're getting into, there are two classes (both take place in PS 124 in Chinatown). One is in the morning (10am - 12pm) and the other is in the afternoon (1pm - 3pm). I'm looking for help for both of them, so you can commit to either or both class. You will be in charge of a group of 4 students ages 9 - 14 for 2 hours. During that hour, you will simply play games with them! And that's it!

I tried to keep it short, so I know I'm missing a lot of details out, but the main gist should be there. If you are interested, please throw me a mail or reply on this thread. I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks for looking!

FAQs
Will I need to provide my games to the kids?
Oh heck no. I don't think I would be comfortable with anyone using their own games to kids. We all know how the terrors can make pieces disappear or bend to their twisted imaginations. I maintain a tiny library of games for the organization and I usually haul in games from my personal collection, so you will be picking from that list.

What if I don't like any of the games available, can I still bring my own games in?
Sure! But if something happens, I've warned you beforehand! I do have a small "insurance" budget, so check in with me first if you REALLY want to do it.

***Before I get bombarded with the Red X, I have spoken with Octavian and I've gotten his OK to post this in the forums. So please, please, please do not hit that deadly red X. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.