Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen R. Welch
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
“Chandra-” who?

From the days of the Rig Veda (ca 1500 BCE) to the Umayyad Caliphate (711 CE), the history of ancient India is replete with foreign invasions and the rise and fall of kingdoms and republics. Of the many generals who defended their homelands or forged new empires through conquest – names familiar to students of Indian history like Porus, Agnitmitra and Skandagupta, Anandapala and Prithviraja – one of the most conspicuous is Chandragupta Maurya. The empire Chandragupta founded would become, in a span of less than 60 years, the largest and most powerful in India’s history. It was a distinction that would remain unchallenged for nearly two millennia. Given this auspicious history, and the fact that the major battles of the Mauryan era were roughly contemporaneous with Alexander the Great and the Diadochoi, I believed that a game focusing on the Mauryan era would be an exciting addition to GMT’s Great Battles of History (GBoH) series.

My primary motivation for designing Chandragupta, however, was to introduce the long-neglected civilization of ancient India to the hobby. To my knowledge, no operational-scale hex-and-counter conflict simulation has ever been published that focuses exclusively on the ancient Indian military system. And if Chandragupta is successful, the hobby will have a rich new venue to explore, opening the potential for further modules and volumes not only on India, but perhaps even neighboring civilizations. Already there has been talk of a game treating ancient China, and interest has been expressed for such areas as Burma and Thailand. All of these regions and eras are rich in military history but have been virtually unexplored by the hobby.

My personal interest in Indian culture and history first began, as with many Westerners I suppose, with my stomach – I adore Indian cuisine. I’ve also studied Hinduism and Indian philosophy. But my deepest interest and respect for India is entirely due to my lovely wife, who is of Indian descent. After nearly two decades as a member of her family – talking with her mom and dad, aunts and uncles, and friends about Indian history, myths, politics and current affairs – the idea of designing this game became a personal mission, a means of melding the culture that had become part of my adult life with the hobby that I have loved since a teenager.

So … welcome to Chandragupta, and to these “Notes from the Designer.” These “Notes” are planned as a weekly series to introduce fellow gamers to the military history, game features, and design challenges to Chandragupta. They will appear in this folder every week (as much as work and other priorities permit, of course). I sincerely hope that you find them interesting, informative, and above all, I hope they stimulate interest in playing the game.

Next week: The challenges of research.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carroll
England
London
flag msg tools
Re: Notes from the Designer #1
"From the days of the Rig Veda(ca 1500 BCE) to the Umayyad Caliphate (711 CE), the history of ancient India is replete with foreign invasions..."

This is a bit of an arbitrary time period to quote and not exactly exhaustive. I hope this is not a reflection of woefully inadequate research. The Rig Veda refers obliquely to what is controversially known as the Aryan Invasions which of course, whatever their form, would have happened some time earlier. Why, with reference to Chandragupta (r. 321-297 BCE), is the other end of you scale 711 CE? Why leave out the Ghaznavids, the Lodis, the Mongols, Tamerlane, Babur and the British.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Hoden
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks much for the posting. I look forward to reading more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vinay Chandrasekhar
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I look forward to hearing more. I always wondered why there were no wargames based on ancient indian history, this might finally persuade me try a wargame. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen R. Welch
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
JohnCarroll wrote:

This is a bit of an arbitrary time period to quote and not exactly exhaustive. [...] Why, with reference to Chandragupta (r. 321-297 BCE), is the other end of you scale 711 CE? Why leave out the Ghaznavids, the Lodis, the Mongols, Tamerlane, Babur and the British.

John -- My quote of "Rig Veda to Umayyid" is simply to bracket the period of Indian military history that is described as "ancient," a period generally deemed to end with the Muslim invasions in the 8th century. The Mauryan empire treated by the game falls within that period.

Yes, I do realize I'm painting with a broad brush here, but please keep in mind that my intention with these "Designer's Notes" is to drum up some interest in the game within the confines of this message-board medium. I plan to cover a lot of ground in individual posts of 400 words or less ... alas, not a medium that is friendly to an exhaustive treatment of a subject.

The research behind the game was indeed exhaustive, though, and I hope to convey a flavor of it in these posts. Consider these as "appetizers

Thanks again for your interest,

SRW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen R. Welch
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
runiago wrote:
Thanks much for the posting. I look forward to reading more.

Thanks, Edward! I hope you continue to enjoy them.

SRW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen R. Welch
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
vinay1276 wrote:
I look forward to hearing more. I always wondered why there were no wargames based on ancient indian history, this might finally persuade me try a wargame. Thanks!

Please do, Vinay! And thanks for your interest ...

SRW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.