Popular Tags: [View All]
josh willhite
United States
La Junta
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this might be the correct place to place this (mods: if this isn't allowed or needs moved, please feel free to do so and I apologize). I love tabletop gaming, my girls are in Girl Scouts (there's about 3-4 leaders and more than a dozen girls in the troop), being a guy I prefer to sit out most activities (how seriously weird and uncomfortable would a lock-in be with a dude at the Girl Scouts for me and them?). Starting once a week in June we're planning to start hosting "game demos" in the meeting room of the library. We'll be showcasing various "new games", the local community by and large has no clue that other types of games have been introduced since Monopoly.

We're going to have the girls demo the games themselves (me and the other leaders will be nearby). I'll be sure to have us all meet about an hour before each demo (or maybe a week before) to show them how to demo the game (I've had a little bit of experience demo-ing games at small conventions and teaching how to play. I believe this will be a fun activity throughout the Summer (maybe longer), teach some valuable life skills, surely its worth a badge or two, and most importantly it'll be incredibly fun!

The first game we're going to present is Magic: The Gathering. Peachstate hobby Distribution was kind enough to donate a case of MTG starter packs. I also have a pile of old MTG junk I might let them use (but there's enough starter sample decks I think). After that (the next week) I've found Monster Slayers, basically D&D for 6 year-olds. Then there's Warstuff and a tote full of hundreds of plastic army men and the like (they make ninjas, pirates, zombies, cave men and more now since I was a kid!). Warstuff is a one-page ruleset for simple pick-up tabletop wargaming. I have plenty of D6 for Warstuff and the RPG (and rulers, pencils, paper, etc), we plan to print these off and give out as well (so everyone can take them home and continue playing, also have access to a copy machine).

However, I'm putting the request for the community to possibly donate other games if they'd like. I'm not looking for anything complex or expensive. I have found a decent amount of games that are PNP but that can get a bit hokey if everything's PNP, but I also can't afford to buy a pile of more games (I'll be letting them use some of the games from my collection as well).

*So yeah, I'm looking for donations of tabletop boardgames. Not interested in traditional games (Chess, checkers, Monopoly, Sorry, we have access to those), although I have considered showing some of the more obscure ones eventually (e.g. for some reason I acquired a desire to play backgammon). Instead searching for "new games" of just about any type.
Some ideas:
-Rory's story cubes (it'll be good for the younger girls, I have one set, and some blank dice, maybe we'll make our own? but could use a couple more sets)
-Hey that's my fish!
-Gooey Louie
-Flash Point
-Dungeon Roll
-Tokaido
-Hive
-an easy euro (really want to find one but it's been eluding me thus far)
-anything else, really
Some of those examples are expensive, but again they're just ideas/suggestions. I'm not trying to take advantage of the community or rip anyone off, I just can't afford to get all the games I'd like for this project (it'd be nice to have at least 2+ copies of games). As I said before the community has no idea about the "new games" so even if you donated a turkey or real stinker they'd likely not know what we all do about it. Anything will be appreciated. PM me for addresses, details, suggestions, further advice, whatever.

Thanks!
Josh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Dang
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm gonna sound like a broken recorder, but have you asked board game publishers to donate? Rio Grande, FFG, and Indie Board and Cards were very generous when I asked them 3 years ago for donations when I was starting up my board game club.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh willhite
United States
La Junta
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, yes, that's my next step (I posted this and actually dropped them off at GS, now to look up publisher's addresses).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.