Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Penny Press» Forums » General

Subject: Can someone post a picture of how the pieces are supposed to fit in the box? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Brennan
United States
Morris Plains
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't figure that storage insert out.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nim Chimpsky
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jayb3369 wrote:
I can't figure that storage insert out.

Thanks

While not necessarily the greatest solution, this is what I did:

-bagged each category's newspaper articles separately, and tossed those on top of the player mats, along with a 6th bag containing the advertisement and arrow markers

-took the score marker discs out of the small bag they were in, and dumped them in the bag of meeples

-put the penny tokens in the little bag the discs came in (since it was now empty) and put that back where the discs originally were (in the tray next to the meeples).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
You will need a few more baggies for this than came with the game, but this is what I do:

Make 5 player baggies with:
- 1 score disc
- 1 ad
- 3 pennies
- 5 meeples
We actually printed more pennies than you strictly need to play Penny Press so you could make player baggies like this (with 4 or 5 players you only need two pennies each, so 10 pennies is all you ever need)

Make 5 news beat baggies with a "block" in each. This is how you build "the block":
1. Take the three D stories
2. Put the three C and three A stories next to each other on top of the D stories.
3. Put the three B stories and the arrow marker (same size as a B story) in two stacks and put them next to each other on top of the A and C stories.

You now have D-story-sized block of stories that fits easily in a baggie and it's also an easy way to make sure you actually have a complete set of stories for a news beat.

Finally put all assorted leftovers (one more ad, bonus markers) in yet another baggie.

Put all pieces where you found them when you first opened the box. Then put the baggies on top in any available space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Norwich
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press is out in stores! Thanks to all our Kickstarter backers for making it happen.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's how I do it:

From top left, moving clockwise:

--the newsboy meeple
--the bagged player meeples
--the bagged scoring discs
--the cards in their tuckbox
--the player mats sit below five bags with story pieces plus an arrow marker, each bag sorted by color; and one bag with advertisements, pennies, and bonus markers.

Feel free to organize your game however makes sense to you. Note that even Robert and I, the game's designers, organize differently. Hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Brennan
United States
Morris Plains
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Those little wells under the cards and a couple other areas make it seem like thing should fit in there. I kept trying to arrange the blocks somehow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
jayb3369 wrote:
Thanks. Those little wells under the cards and a couple other areas make it seem like thing should fit in there. I kept trying to arrange the blocks somehow.

I believe those "wells" are only here to provide some structural integrity to the insert, to make sure it doesn't just hang loose in the air but rests on the bottom of the box in places, and the entire thing doesn't buckle and crack. Those plastic vacuformed inserts aren't the sturdiest things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
jayb3369 wrote:

Yep...I've been wondering the same thing. It's like the insert was designed for another game. Even the molded area just above these storage areas look like a game board would fit in there to keep the below pieces in place, but the Penny Press board is too large.

I'm not saying the game doesn't fit in the box, just not ideal. whistle

Otherwise, the production is very good. Even though the cards are barely handled in the game, I'm really glad we got the linen textured cards. They are excellent!

Thanks guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
texasgeoker wrote:
jayb3369 wrote:

Yep...I've been wondering the same thing. It's like the insert was designed for another game. Even the molded area just above these storage areas look like a game board would fit in there to keep the below pieces in place, but the Penny Press board is too large.

I'm not saying the game doesn't fit in the box, just not ideal. whistle

Otherwise, the production is very good. Even though the cards are barely handled in the game, I'm really glad we got the linen textured cards. They are excellent!

Thanks guys!

The molded area that you speak of was designed to fit the punchboards in place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Levy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take this as a compliment, but the box insert was my biggest "complaint" about this game. Maybe it's just the OCD in me, but if there is a plastic insert then I feel that there should be a little compartment that is just the right size to organize each type of piece and tile. That's certainly not the case, here. It's fine with the baggie - just that the plastic insert is therefore completely unnecessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah -- I can understand the desire for that. Some games I do appreciate that with, but I wanted a storage solution that was robust in terms of the game being on its side. With this system, everything's in baggies, the board is secure, and when you open up the game you're ready to go, because each story type is sorted out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Grange
New Zealand
New Plymouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertDD wrote:
You now have D-story-sized block of stories that fits easily in a baggie and it's also an easy way to make sure you actually have a complete set of stories for a news beat.

I was thinking or creating a 3D printer model for putting these in. Has anyone done / started anything like this already?

(Also if anyone can give me the actual dimensions of the stack I can start now rather than remembering to measure it when I get home... :-D)

Edit: and the size of the remaining space in the insert (the space on top of the player boards)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Grange
New Zealand
New Plymouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something like this:

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/kZzykfOKZ3e-insert-for-penn...

But in the correct dimensions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, if you're designing something like that, I would want 5 trays that fit on the spaces on the board...

Oh, sizes are easy too, it's a 3/4" grid that the stories are placed on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Grange
New Zealand
New Plymouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertDD wrote:
Actually, if you're designing something like that, I would want 5 trays that fit on the space not the board...

On what space not what board? O_o

RobertDD wrote:

Oh, sizes are easy too, it's a 3/4" grid that the stories are placed on.

What's that in real measurements? 3.81 x 5.715 cm ish? (ETA: D stories are 2x3 yes?)

I'm on my way home now so I'll do some measuring tonight...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
Google can do all the conversions for you from inches to cm, but you probably still want to measure the entire space below the beats, and make sure everything would fit.

A stories are 1x2, B 1x3, C 2x2 and D 2x3.

I corrected my previous post too. Autocorrect tripped me up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Grange
New Zealand
New Plymouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertDD wrote:
Actually, if you're designing something like that, I would want 5 trays that fit on the spaces on the board...

Oh, trays you can take out and put on the board? They'd be stacked in their bricks so it'd be less convenient than tipping them out imo.

Unless the tray has them in size stacks, and you just pick it up and drop it in the box when done. That's a bit more work, but I'll have a try. Might be able to do both...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Grange
New Zealand
New Plymouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't got easy access to a 3D printer that's not brand new in a box right now so if anyone wants to do a test print and let me know how it works...

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/90BKb1MtwOy-tray-for-penny-...

Let me know where it's snug etc. I made the compartments 4x6 cm so should be a little bit loose, but might work well if they're bagged. I'm guessing if you print it at about 99% or something it'll work with no bags...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Grange
New Zealand
New Plymouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vIQleS wrote:
RobertDD wrote:

Oh, trays you can take out and put on the board? They'd be stacked in their bricks so it'd be less convenient than tipping them out imo.

Unless the tray has them in size stacks, and you just pick it up and drop it in the box when done. That's a bit more work, but I'll have a try. Might be able to do both...

Yeah - I can't do it with all separate trays like that - not if you want to fit it in the available spaces in the box.

You could do it if you want to take out the insert, but then you'd prolly want to make lids for the trays as well. (And you could have extra trays for the meeples etc - or buy containers from the $ store)

If anyone really wants to do this let me know and I can have a go...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Grange
New Zealand
New Plymouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Final version - I added holes in the bottom, because when I finally printed it we realised you couldn't easily get the pieces out*.

* Even with the depressions - I've made those a bit deeper too for this version)

Also fit is pretty much perfect without bags.

Thingiverse - thing number 877255

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Norwich
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press is out in stores! Thanks to all our Kickstarter backers for making it happen.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool! Now I'm going to have to get a 3D printer...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Grange
New Zealand
New Plymouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Printed with the holes... Makes it much easier to get the bits out.

But now I'm thinking the compartments need to be a smidgen deeper. Hopefully this will make the pieces less likely to jump out on their own.

So final final version will be up in a couple of hours - I may not bother to print it (at least not right away), but I'll leave both versions up JIC...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.