Subject: What to do with the race? Please vote!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night we played our third race of the season.
One of the guys made a mistake building his car, which we didn't notice until his second pitstop.
He had picked two Strategies (Lucky and Save Tyres)and no Skill.
When we realized the mistake, he took Lucky away and didn't take any Skill.

Any one can make a mistake, but this was a significant error, so should we
1) disqualify his car from the race
2) cancel the result for the third race (and play it again next time)
3) let the result count toward the season and give him a penalty for the next race (which penalty?)
4) let the result count toward the season and get on with 4th race
5) another solution I haven't thought about (please state which one)

You are now in the seat of FIA and your voting will be what we go by.
Please notice that I didn't write which place his car finished, so that shouldn't affect your voting.

This is the result of your voting so far:
1) disqualify - 2
2) cancel race - 2
3) penalty - 5
4) next race - 1
5) other solution - 0

If we can get ten votes (the first ten), then I will reveal the result of the race and act out from what you have voted.

Thank you for your time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
Spain
Cantabria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What to do with the race?
I'm no expert at 90's F1 rules, but I think making him start last the next race would be a nice thematic touch. This will force to adapt his set up and pick very carefully his skills and strategy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moore
United Kingdom
Buckland Monachorum
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few
mbmbmbmbmb
René,

F1 would normally disqualify the driver from the race, but I imagine this would make a bit of a mess of your season.
I think that re-running the race may be unfair on anyone who did well in the race.

I would suggest a penalty for the next race, of not allowing the player to use any strategy up until his second pitstop in the next race (where the error in this race was noticed and rectified). That should hopefully redress the balance for the season.

All the best

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giuseppe Rossini
Italy
Turi
BA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Slotracer wrote:

This is my vote!
Do you keep skills throughout the season?

Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joseph wrote:
Slotracer wrote:

This is my vote!
Do you keep skills throughout the season?

Joe

No, not official, but everyone seems to pick the same skill for each race (when they pick a Skill!). ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greece
Thessaloniki
Macedonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If he was fully aware of the rules I would go either for 1 or 2. The normal rule is to DSQ him. But if you find it too harsh you can just cancel the whole race, although this could be tough for the winner.

This is not real racing, so try to find the best solution to keep the gamegroup happy. As long as nobody abuses the good will of the group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Corto Maltese wrote:
If he was fully aware of the rules I would go either for 1 or 2. The normal rule is to DSQ him. But if you find it too harsh you can just cancel the whole race, although this could be tough for the winner.

This is not real racing, so try to find the best solution to keep the gamegroup happy. As long as nobody abuses the good will of the group.

You can only pick one of the solutions, so is it 1 or 2 ?
Yes, he is fully aware of the rules, but came late to the table, was stressed and made the mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greece
Thessaloniki
Macedonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 it is then. No big deal, we must learn to live with our mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
War Weasel
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slotracer wrote:
Corto Maltese wrote:

You can only pick one of the solutions, so is it 1 or 2 ?
Yes, he is fully aware of the rules, but came late to the table, was stressed and made the mistake.

no game is worth playing, if someome has sorry feelings in the group.

just cancel the race and repeat it.

in the long run it isn't fair to punish your gaming buddy harshly if you can avoid it at the minimal cost of replaying that race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vez A
Germany
Kiel
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb

Number 4. Just let it pass and get on with it. Mistakes happen. Not a biggie.

If someone makes the same mistake again, then there'll be heavier consequences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Illegal car is a DSQ in Formula 1. Ask Red Bull about last season's Australian Grand Prix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Lala
United Kingdom
Weston-Super-Mare
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
badge
Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote 3). Penalty being loss of 4 position in the qualifying grid of the next race or last position. Whatever you prefer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
Greenskid wrote:
I vote 3). Penalty being loss of 4 position in the qualifying grid of the next race or last position. Whatever you prefer.

I vote this as well. The season doesn't lose momentum, those who did well get to keep their results, and the offender gets a thematic penalty that isn't overly onerous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ten votes now.
No. 3 is the result of your votes.
Thank you very much.

Briang's car won the race passing a very fast robot on the last turn by using a soft tyre legally.
So the result of the race stand and we will find a suitable penalty for him in the next race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken K
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rene,

unfortunately I caught this thread too late. I would suggest Option 3 with one of the following as a Penalty:

1) If you still have the finishing on-track positions, issue the car a "20 second" time penalty (half distance of a pit stop - 5 on Monaco, 3 on Spa).

2) Results stand, but issue a next race 4 spot grid penalty.

3) Fine the driver for breach of regulations. He buys the first round of drinks at the next gathering.

I considered the other options;
Disqualify the car - as this was unintentional, it seems to harsh. Also, this is just a game and it ruins the fun.

Cancel Race - This seems extreme as everyone else is also penalized. I would cancel a race if half of the players were doing this.

Ignore and move on to the next race - I almost suggested this as the right way to go, but a minor "penalty" seemed more thematic. A way to counter any bonus movement that may have occurred during the race.

Other - If you are playing with teams, perhaps disqualify the team score for this race (both cars), but let the driver keep the points for the Driver's Championship. We make the assumption that the team made modifications that the driver was unaware of (think of what happened to McLaren in 2007).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vez A
Germany
Kiel
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb

In a way, this was an oversight by the whole group. Surely you ought to have noticed that the guy draws two cards per Lucky AND saves tyre points when moving his car. This is a failure of the race organization as much of a single team to observe the regulations. It's like Lewis Hamilton cruising the circuit with a jet engine for a motor and people waking up to it only after the race.

Therefore, I suggest a collective punishment as the fair course of action: a little less drinking at your next gaming evening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Bernal
Spain
Seville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The loss of five positions at the end of third race and the loss of five positions on the grid at the next race.

Edit: for a general rule, instead of five:

(pit stop of current circuit+3)/2 rounded down
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the late 'votes' too.
I wouldn't mind to cancel the race since my major car spun off and crashed, so I had to take the team mate car for the rest of the race. That one spun off too but didn't crash and I ended up as no.10 - out of the points!
Both opponents got both cars in the points, so it was a big blow against my team.
But his error shouldn't help me back in the championship, so we don't cancel the race.

He only took a track card once for the Save Tyres strategy, that's why we didn't notice it before his second pitstop where I asked him if he wanted to change anything.

I think we will give him a penalty of five places back on the next starting grid. If we just give him a penalty to start last, he would have no intention of trying to do well in the qualifying.
But I'm 110% sure we will double check this in this following races.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do like the idea of a drive through penalty for the first offence - move back a number of spaces equal to the pit stop time. Do you have a picture of the cars on the track at the end of the race?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, The usual pictures after each turn.
Will upload them later.

The drive through penalty could be a solution in the future.
But what if you have Pitting as Skill?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greece
Thessaloniki
Macedonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drive through has nothing to do with skills. You just cruise in the pitlane with speed limiter on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could do pit stop time -2, or any number. That may be a good solution to any screw up. I think one time I was playing like I had save tires, but I really had taken balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can see the pictures of the race here: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/19098175#19098175

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since pitting ability give you -2 for pit stop time, a drive through penalty should be quicker than that. I like Pit Stop time -3 for a drive through penalty. That is going to sting at Monaco.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But if the error made a car moving 4 forward, a drive through at -3 isn't much of a penalty.
But if it was a stop and go perhaps that would be better?
-3 spaces and not allowed to move for that turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.