10 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Cluster Mines Speculation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tobias Böhnemann
Germany
flag msg tools
So in the Wave 7 preview we can see this awesome new mine. It looks like a triple proximity mine and from its card text also behaves like one. We also know that it just costs 4 points, just one more than proximity mines for way more space covered. My guess at how they explode would be that you roll 2 dice for each token overlapped, totaling up to potential 6.

Sounds op? Kind of, but hitting a small based ship with more than one token is hard, although two won't be uncommon. Large base ships however would be in a world of pain. Imagine 4 Tie Bombers equipped with these, dropping all of them on for example a Fat Han. In the perfect scenario that means 24 undefended dice, while you could reliably pull 16 of.

If I am right this card is amazing and capable of shaping the meta towards more small based ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB Draft
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Mines and bombs have always been worth their points and this looks like no exception. If FFG still thinks missiles and torpedoes are "fine"... now that is a problem that still hasn't been solved.... yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love for it to be 2 dice per template, but I worry that it might just be one. If it were 2, then Emon can just sling the whole thing onto a big ship and smash it! To me, that's great news. Anything to stop the big ship dominance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Böhnemann
Germany
flag msg tools
heychadwick wrote:
I'd love for it to be 2 dice per template, but I worry that it might just be one. If it were 2, then Emon can just sling the whole thing onto a big ship and smash it! To me, that's great news. Anything to stop the big ship dominance.

Ending large base dominance with a large base ship...

If it was 1 die per template there would have to be some additional effect on them to make them worth 1 point more than proximity mines. Explosives that are merely as damaging as simple rocks? I am not a fan. Any ship that crosses the entirety of 4 big minefields should (be likely to) die in my oppinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XFreeBirdX wrote:
heychadwick wrote:

Ending large base dominance with a large base ship...

If it was 1 die per template there would have to be some additional effect on them to make them worth 1 point more than proximity mines. Explosives that are merely as damaging as simple rocks? I am not a fan. Any ship that crosses the entirety of 4 big minefields should (be likely to) die in my oppinion.

Maybe you roll 1 die per template per template you crossed during the turn?

If you cross 1 mine -> 1x 1 dice
If you cross 2 mines -> 2x 2 dices
If you cross 3 mines -> 3x 3 dices
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Böhnemann
Germany
flag msg tools
Wildhorn wrote:

Maybe you roll 1 die per template per template you crossed during the turn?

If you cross 1 mine -> 1x 1 dice
If you cross 2 mines -> 2x 2 dices
If you cross 3 mines -> 3x 3 dices

I like that, very thematic and potentialy even more devastating. 36 dice...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any ship that can shoot backwards and carry bombs is pretty stellar. Three hard turn, drop clusters, enjoy. Emon is going to love it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect that only 1 point more than prox mines means it'll be only slightly better. 2 dice per cluster mine seems too strong. That's double the damage output of prox mines for only 1 more point. I bet it has some other effect, like stress. Maybe roll a damage die and gain a stress?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cordeiro wrote:
I suspect that only 1 point more than prox mines means it'll be only slightly better. 2 dice per cluster mine seems too strong. That's double the damage output of prox mines for only 1 more point. I bet it has some other effect, like stress. Maybe roll a damage die and gain a stress?

I doubt though you'll have a ship hit all 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Danath wrote:
cordeiro wrote:

I doubt though you'll have a ship hit all 3.

It's unlikely, but I can see a large base ship or a suqad flying in formation easily hitting 2. And with 3 mines across, you can drop it in front of a ship and be sure they're going to hit at least one of them. So, you can afford to be less precise in placement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.