Edward Gilhead
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

I'm working on a game idea based around a small skirmish game. Max number of troops on each side would be 4 or 5, controlled by 1-4/5 players. Making the whole game a 2-8/10 player game, with each player controlling one or more troops. The idea for movement would be each player plays a certain number of cards per trooper, say three, and then the teams take it in turn to reveal their moves/shooting/actions. At first I envisioned that the movements would be open to all to see, however on thinking about this I don't believe that having this god's view of the battle would be that fun, as it would allow too much gaming and not enough proper strategy. I was wanting to put in a fog of war and therefore spotting mechanics, so as to improve the value of cover and team working.

Has anyone played/can think of any mechanic that might allow me to do this?

My first thoughts were to have blank playing pieces that are moved around by the players, however I don't think this would work with the card revealing movement mechanic without becoming very predictable.

Many thanks in advance!!

Cheers,
TG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Up Front. Tosses out a map and uses the concept of relative range. Still abstract.

Terminator CCG had a unique way of playing the map. Each player played only cards to his own map. Each turn you may play a location card next to an existing one of yours, making your own map. If you and your opponent played a location card with the same name, that was a location where your maps overlapped. Crazy part was that you might have some cards your opponent had already played, so your opponent would be at a location you could be at, but he wouldn't know you were there. Or two commonly shared locations would be two cards away for you, and four for your opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Gilhead
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Freelance,

Interesting idea, I'll see if I can make something like it work, thanks! I did have a possible idea about having third party card driven foes out on the board that are enemy to both sides. Not sure if that would work with such an abstracted 'map' however I'll have a think.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

I've linked this thread to Blindly into the Fog of War guild.
You may find some interest there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DJ Wilde
United States
Monroe
LA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps a card that counters other cards by diminishing range or outright blocking line of fire? Probably more than one card is possible to add to the game this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TunzaG wrote:
I was wanting to put in a fog of war and therefore spotting mechanics, so as to improve the value of cover and team working.

Perhaps a deck of "Location Cards" (with or without an accompanying map). When you move into a location, you take its Location Card into your hand. You can then play the card face down on appropriate forces as they move there.

When you spot or fire upon a location, demand that its owning player turn the Location Card face up so affects of the action can be applied to forces the card is sitting on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Feeser
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I know it isn't exactly the same as fog of war and may not be what you are looking for, but check out the game Galaxy Defenders. It has a line of sight mechanic and, if you choose, a human view mechanic as in you can't see what's behind you. Again the game doesn't have a true fog of war mechanic but the game is solid and may give you an idea or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Ng
msg tools
mb
I'd not sure what pieces you're using for your troops, but if they are cards or tiles you could do the following:

The game board is a grid of face-down tiles. Some of these face-down tiles are the troops that will be used during the game. Player's don't know where each others' troops are.

During a team's turn, the opposing team leaves the room. The active team moves their troops one tile at a time, revealing tiles as they move and "covering them in fog" as they are vacated. If an enemy is encountered, the other team is called back into the room and battle begins.

There can be other things hidden in the fog as well, such as traps, weapons caches, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.