United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb

The card says that you can pick up a money card when you buy
a building for 10 or more. Does that mean that if you buy
one for exact change you can take one money card and then
potentially buy another 10+ for exact change and repeat the process?

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Dietrich
Germany
Troisdorf
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Bob,
the symbol near the name of Abdul Knihstig, gives the information, that this function can only be used once in a turn.
So, if you buy such an expensive card (10 or more) with exact change, pick up a money card (do to the ability of Abdul Knihstig) and proceed with your turn. But do not use Abdul twice during your turn.
Hope that helps and all the best from germany
Bernd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn King
United Kingdom
Crewe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Alhambra quite frequently using this extension and have deliberated over this card quite a few times. I was hoping to find a more definitive answer to this on BGG, but I now find myself trying to explain my interpretation of how this character card can be used....

The opinion I now hold is that this card can be used more than once in any one turn.

The rules state that "only one character card with a diamond symbol on it can be used in any one turn" (which is confusing in itself as our cards have a V symbol instead of a diamond). It does not state or imply that the card can be used only once during that turn (at least that's my interpretation of it).

Some character cards are more useful than others and this varies even more with when the card is turned over during the game. This is reflected in the bidding for the character cards and as long as you have agreed on how Abdul Knihstig can be used before you start a game then everyone is going to be aware of how useful a character he can potentially be.

Martyn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Dietrich
Germany
Troisdorf
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Martyn,
you can play this extension module as you wish. But my answer in this thread was about the official rules.
Hope that helps and all the best from Germany
Bernd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn King
United Kingdom
Crewe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bernd,

I guess it's how you interpret the rules (unless it's something that has been lost in the translation to English).

The rules state -
"The symbols in the top corners of the cards show when and how often
the characters' abilities can be used. A player may only use 1 card with a diamond symbol [❖] in any one round."

and

"Abdul Knihstig [❖] – if the player buys a building at a price of 10 or more, they may immediately pick up a face-up money card."

Using Abdul Knihstig twice in one round is still only using 1 card in one round and therefore does not contradict the above rules.

It is clear for all of the other "diamond symbol [❖]" characters that they can only be used once as they state "before a players turn" or "at the end of a players turn" or relate to an action that can only be done once during a turn (i.e. taking money cards). However, Abdul Knihstig relates to buying buildings and it's just that it is possible to buy more than one building in one round.

I don't see how the official rules contradict my interpretation but am happy to be corrected as I prefer to play to the rules.

Martyn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Martyn,
Bernd Dietrich* is the man responsible for the game, as he is the game editor and developer for Queen Games.

So rest assured that Bernd's interpretation is the correct!

*) You should find his name at the back of the box
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.