Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marion Jensen
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently placed an order on Thoughthammer and received my $135 dollars worth of games - only to realize I had neglected to put Well of Darkness in my shopping cart. It was the main reason I had put in the order! After a significant amount of weeping and wailing had transpired, I rallied the troops (my local gaming club), we put in our Christmas order, and after another week of crouching by my mailbox, Descent: WoD was in my grubby hands.

A few nights later I invited two of my brothers over, along with two friends, and we waged holy battle on the kitchen table deep into the week hours of the morning. Only one of them had played the game before.

I chose to play the overlord so that I could have the whole game set up before they arrived. I put all of the contents for each room into separate plastic containers so that the game would flow nice and smooth. When you have a severe case of blood lust, you don't want to stand there while the overlord picks though a billion cardboard bits looking for that last healing potion.

I chose the collapsing mine scenario, and decided to be a bit evil. I didn't tell them anything about the scenario before hand.I allowed them to draw two characters, and keep the 'best one'.

The game started out fairly normal. They winced when they heard about the rooms falling, but didn't think too much of it. They cleared out the first room with almost no effort, then realized that maybe they should hurry things up a bit.

The map is quite clever in the sense that there are 5-6 small pieces that fall off in the beginning. The result is that the players get a false sense of security. "There is plenty of time for us to kill monsters, gather treasure, and go on our merry way. Besides look at all of those conquest tokens we have!"

Only after the second room did the truth set in. One poor character only had 3 movement. For three solid turns he did nothing but run. The image of this poor, bulky fighter, huffing and puffing, trying to keep ahead of the collapsing mine was quite funny.

Matters came to ahead when I had an ogre blocking the way. One fighter was perched next to him, and if he could kill it, then the way would be open for all of the rest of the characters to run through to safety. If he missed, the game was over, as the ceiling would cave in and there would be no activated glyphs. He rolled, got passed the armor, did some damage, but needed 3 more points. He took an exhaust, and scored another point. He took another exhaust, and scored another point. He had one more exhaust, took it, and rolled... A blank power die.

There were moans and groans, and good natured ribbing. I let them re-roll, and we finished an 'alternate universe' game, where they were able to squeak off a victory.

All in all, a fantastic session. I love Runebound, but what I like more about Descent is the player interaction. They all sat there and agonized over movement, who would be sacrificed, what would be the best strategy, etc. I found myself pulling a few punches early in the game, when they were still a bit weak, and then really having fun opening up and letting loose after they had found a few treasures, and were more powerful.

We don't get to play this game very often, and have only tackled four of all of the scenarios in both games. I look forward to this game providing many years of excitement and adventure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
When you have a severe case of blood lust, you don't want to stand there while the overlord picks though a billion cardboard bits looking for that last healing potion.

Classic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Firemeboy wrote:
I put all of the contents for each room into separate plastic containers so that the game would flow nice and smooth. When you have a severe case of blood lust, you don't want to stand there while the overlord picks though a billion cardboard bits looking for that last healing potion.

I've had games where the heroes purchase every available vitality potion - separating them out makes the pool available for purchase smaller than it would be normally.

Otherwise, my inner-anal-retentive-gamer approves!

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.