Subject: Balancing for 5 rebels? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ha. Voc
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi there

I'm going to be running campaign #1 tomorrow, but with potentially 5 rebels instead of 4.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to balancing this out a little for me (imperial)?

thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eding
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I see it, you have two options:

Take a seat and watch the full game with 4 rebels and 1 imperial, or give up now and say they all win (this will happen guaranteed with 5 rebels). Then play a game that supports 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ha. Voc
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LeximusMaximus wrote:

Take a seat and watch the full game with 4 rebels and 1 imperial, or give up now and say they all win (this will happen guaranteed with 5 rebels). Then play a game that supports 6.

Thanks for the ...

help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Easiest: sit two of them with the same hero. It is rebels against the imperial player anyway.

Untested: the other tries at this include
a) give two heroes only one action per round. The turn to have only one action moves at the end of round step of the status phase (like the Heroic and Legendary cards). I don't remember what one user called these wimpy heroes. Make a search of the forums.
b) give the imperial player extra threat and optional deployment at the beginning of each mission. This could include using a deployment card instead of a hero sheet for the fifth rebel, and using the corresponding threat cost for minimal rules complications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Tollis
Australia
Caloundra
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked the idea of giving the rebels an ally and the imperial player gains the ally's cost in threat. The downside of that is that the player playing as the ally has to abide by the non hero rules. Upside: Chewbacca!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Rankin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been other threads on here discussing this. It seems clear that the game is balanced around 4 activations. So, if playing with 5 Rebels, I'd start by still having only 4 activiation tokens. Exactly how you spread out the 4 I haven't thought about (meaning, for example, could the same Rebel character skip several rounds in a row?). You would likely also need to either reduce the Rebel characters' hit points, or modify all mission rules that require wounding all heroes, to only wounding 4 of the 5. I'd also be tempted to limit them to only getting credits for 4 heroes instead of 5. You've also got the option of increasing the threat level (say just one level higher on all missions). You'll probably have to do a lot of fiddling with things to make it run anywhere close to smooth.

Good luck, and please post with how you worked it out and what the results where.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gindlesperger
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianT wrote:
I liked the idea of giving the rebels an ally and the imperial player gains the ally's cost in threat. The downside of that is that the player playing as the ally has to abide by the non hero rules. Upside: Chewbacca!

This would be the easiest way to add in an extra character to control without actually breaking the game and inviting imbalance into the picture. And you know how unpleasant it is when we bring together imbalance and The Force...

That said, the 5 Heroes / 4 activations scheme might work--but you'd have to be careful about maintaining the same win conditions for the scenario (i.e. as mtgofeind said, Imp would still only have to wound 4 instead of all five).

The problem with this is that with some scenarios, having 5 characters in the board might be a marked advantage (if having to stand by locations or pick up objectives) or a marked disadvantage (having to get all the rebels from point A to point B in a set time). Again, it's unbalancing the game in a way that has not been tested, so who knows what the effects would be.

But, if you're ready to through caution to the wind, go for it! And if you are...I might also suggest this--play 5 heroes with 5 activations, but give the Imp player a free Unique Elite unit deploy at the beginning setup (IG-88, General Weiss, Royal Guard Champion, or Vader--they're pretty close to being heroes themselves).

It's still not clear if this is balanced, but it'd be fun to find out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hall
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd found an earlier thread which suggested pricing the extra player like an ally. I ran the first scenario against 5 rebels, bumping my initial threat by 12 (I think? Luke's cost). They got their full activations, I was able to reinforce a lot in the beginning, and it was a close game.

I can't say how well this works long term as I had a player drop out after that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morrison
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did this last night. We played through Aftermath with 5 rebels. Each round, two of them (not the same two from the previous round) only take one action. Each hero had a 2-health deficit, too.

It seemed to be pretty balanced. I didn't slaughter them, but they definitely were given the challenge of getting to the terminals in time. They took too much time to rest, so they couldn't finish at the end of six rounds.

I'd recommend those two fixes: 2-health lower, and the activation modification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Charron
msg tools
Use one of the Reel skirmish cards, then treat as an ally with more threat being deployed at the beginning. Be carefull to take rebels without skirmish specific abilities (like Diala..)

Fenn sounds like a good idea

Dom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Archer
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Havocbrighton wrote:
Hi there

I'm going to be running campaign #1 tomorrow, but with potentially 5 rebels instead of 4.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to balancing this out a little for me (imperial)?

thank you

You know 5 other people? Awesome. With my social life, let's just say that too many players is never a problem...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ari Rusakko
Finland
Lappeenranta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not two imperial players and four heroes. It gets awfully lonely sometimes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Dennison
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VorpalBunny wrote:
Why not two imperial players and four heroes. It gets awfully lonely sometimes...

This x 1000. There is very little secret information in Imperial Assault (Like Overlord cards). Most decisions have triggers that you can discuss your options together when that option comes up. You just split the deployment cards between the two of you and then play as an Imperial Team. Honestly, this would work better than any fix to add a fifth Rebel hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LeximusMaximus wrote:

This.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Bowlby
Canada
Melville
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Havocbrighton wrote:

Thanks for the ...

help.

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Wimmer
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Havocbrighton wrote:

Solutions from easy to hard to implement:

1) Play the imperial side with 2 players (if you consistently have 6 players)
2) Let all 5 players control only 4 rebel heroes as a team
3) Play with 5 rebel heroes but only 4 activation tokens and only reward 4 players with credits and XP for each mission
4) Give the imperial player (IP) an additional open group per mission and 1x threat level as starting threat (additional to any other) and an optional deployment (if not already given)
5) In addition to 4) increase threat level by 1x the campaign upgrade tier (so threat level 3 for Aftermath, threat level 9 for the last mission.
6) Introduce a reload/wear mechanic for rebel weapons. Pistols can only shoot 3 times before needing one action to reload. Blasters can shoot 4 times. Melee weapons can only be used to attack 20 times per mission before needing maintenance between missions. This can be hard to track and maybe make some of the last missions harder for the rebels!

None of this is tested for balance. Be careful and maybe adjust as needed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also try doing the opposite of the Heroic cards. This would be playing with five heroes, but each hero has 2 fewer Health (thus 10 less health total) and at the beginning of the game and the end of the round, one hero is chosen to not receive an activation token in the next round.

If you try this, you should probably make it so that you have to rotate the non-activating hero between all five before somebody skips a second go.

Edit: Another alternative that means nobody skips a round is that each round, two heroes must share an activation token. They activate together (as if they were a single group) and they may take only one action each during that activation. Perhaps limit them to suffering only one strain for a movement point per shared activation too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soda Popinski
msg tools
mbmb
Clipper wrote:
You can also try doing the opposite of the Heroic cards. This would be playing with five heroes, but each hero has 2 fewer Health (thus 10 less health total) and at the beginning of the game and the end of the round, one hero is chosen to not receive an activation token in the next round.

If you try this, you should probably make it so that you have to rotate the non-activating hero between all five before somebody skips a second go.

Edit: Another alternative that means nobody skips a round is that each round, two heroes must share an activation token. They activate together (as if they were a single group) and they may take only one action each during that activation. Perhaps limit them to suffering only one strain for a movement point per shared activation too

OK, I will try this next game with 5 heroes:

- Two characters share one activation token. Basically you would share the token with the player to your right if he doesn´t have a token. You may use the two actions between the two characters as you see fit. Both characters may strain to move twice (slight advantage).

- In the status phase you pass the activation tokens to your left filling up the "gap". This way you will not have the added play time of hero players discussing who will share activation tokens. This will occationally force the players to activate characters in what might not be the optimal order. Also maybe a character who is in an important position might only have 1 action to spend on that turn. (slight disadvantage).

- Each hero will have two less health (both on healthy and wounded side).

- All characters recieve XP and credits at the end of missions.

- Allies also have 2 less health.

- Side mission deck: Shuffle in each characters specific side mission as usual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Kee
msg tools
Our group started a 5 rebel player campaign last night. I wrote up the rules we're following on the FFG forums:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/17...

The key features are (opening paragraph from FFG):

So the goals would be

1. every rebel player has a character they can level up.
2. maintain balance.
3. keep it simple

Now there are already rules from bringing in an ally. So I think what fits best with the above goals are:

1. Every rebel player picks a hero.
2. 1 rebel player per mission uses their corresponding heroes skirmish character card without any buffs instead as an ally. They follow all rules for bringing in an ally. This role rotates with rebels choosing who plays as the skirmish hero, allowing flexibility if the rebels think a particular hero more useful for a particular mission, but in general each player must take this role in each general rotation.
3. During the reward phase, all rebel players receive all rewards (XP and money).

Funny thing is....is that the rebels are fighting over who gets to play as the skirmish card (early game, certain skirmish characters are notably better than proper heroes).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.