GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,974 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Wingfoot and Thalin/Minas Tirith lampwright rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Figo 3434
msg tools
1a) Does Wingfoot's response trigger if a revealed enemy (=chosen card type for Wingfoot) is insta-killed by Thalin's passive ability? We know that Thalin neutralises "When revealed"-effects on an insta-killed enemy, but I am not sure whether the card is technically considered "revealed" in this case. According to Thalin's card text, he deals 1 damage to enemies "as they are revealed".

1b)If you use Minas Tirith Lampwright's response on a surging encounter card, does Wingfoot's response trigger if the next encounter card is the chosen card type?
On the one hand, Lampwright's text is "If the next encounter card revealed is the named card type, discard it without resolving its effects.". On the other hand, if this card text is considered a "floating" effect that triggers before any responses can trigger, Wingfoot's response couldn't be used.

What's your view on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Munn

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my reading. Wingfoot's relevant text is "If a card of the named type is revealed during the quest phase, ready attached hero." So:

1a) Thalin deals damage to an enemy "as it is revealed". So it's revealed, and as it's revealed, Thalin damages and kills it. But that doesn't change the fact that it was revealed, so Wingfoot can trigger on it as well. It doesn't make sense to consider a Thalin-damaged card to not be revealed, because if it wasn't revealed, then "as it's revealed" could not have triggered, which is an inherent contradiction.

1b) Minas Tirith Lampwright is even more clear-cut. Both it and Wingfoot use the exact same phrasing structure, "If it is revealed". So when something of the appropriate type is revealed and both Wingfoot and Minas Tirith Lampwright are able to trigger, the first player decides which order to resolve those effects in. Obviously it's always advantageous to resolve Wingfoot first, then Minas Tirith Lampwright: so the Wingfoot hero gets readied, then the Minas Tirith Lampwright discards the encounter card without resolving it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Figo 3434
msg tools
The problem I see in 1b) is that Lampwright's effect itself is a response, but it implies kind of a "floating" effect (that is, until the next encounter card is revealed). I'm just not sure if there is time to trigger Wingfoot's response before Lampwright's "ongoing effect" (which I do not consider to be a response in this very moment, so you couldn't choose the order in which you resolve them).

But maybe I am overthinking this...

Quote:
Obviously it's always advantageous to resolve Wingfoot first, then Minas Tirith Lampwright: so the Wingfoot hero gets readied, then the Minas Tirith Lampwright discards the encounter card without resolving it.

IF it was only important that the card was revealed, shouldn't the resolving order be irrelevant here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.