Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Liebau
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Not only one, but the remaining 2 previews for wave 14:

http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-kyana-prime

and, for now without any pictures:

http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-attack-wing-wave-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Wow. That Timeship expansion may not have a single card worth its points. Even the unique ship text is pretty worthless. This might be an expansion where only the generic copy of the ship ever sees the tables. The big 8 die torpedo might be fun though. Something like Khan 8, Invaluable advice, and that torpedo

I'm sure people who enjoyed Voyager will like the expansion for fluff, but that's about all i can say nice about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew McLaury
United States
Cocoa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Church14 wrote:
Wow. That Timeship expansion may not have a single card worth its points.

I guess we'll be getting some "What I expected from the Timeship" threads in Variants, at least?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pitner
United States
Plano
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reminds me a lot of the Bioship. No crew slots, a bunch of stuff that is specific to that faction only, and a bunch of one time use items (at least not all of it is one time use). The ship action is needed when it doesn't offer a standard evade action.

Can't say I'm a big fan of so many upgrades coming out recently with "you cannot perform any free actions this round" text on it.

Getting Temporal Incursion to successfully fire when only at range 3 would be tough. You need to have a target lock so unless you commit to a TL/BS you're just hoping your unmodified 9 point discard rolls magically well. It's a tough upgrade to swallow when dealing with 50 point ship limits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kay
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Annorax has some potential. The ship ability becomes much better when you consider you can Cloak it fairly cheap. Rudolph Ransom on Kyana Prime Cloaked, taking the ship's action should generate seven dice as long as he has at least one evade token beside his ship. The Temporal Core is pretty stellar defensively, though it requires some planning to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Passing on this expansion. All the upgrades are too expensive and too limiting. Thought WK learned from their bioship mistakes but I guess not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MU finally gets a skill 8 captain, woot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a meta changer, but I didn't expect it to be. That said it looks fun for a mission game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Vulcan
United States
flag msg tools
Timeship:
Good points:
Good for fluf and scenario play.
Obrist is very good for 3 points, perhaps not worf good, but still very solid. He can combine with the 1 point "Aft phaser emitter" for a cheap one time cancel an attack, which as we all know can be very handy.overall but the tech slots will be interesting, as it lets you use things like the Prakesh cloaking device to actually get a fairly defensive ship, especially if combined with the 3 point captain - that is a fair amount of mitigation.
Overall stats are solid, though not epic.

Unknown points:
We do not know the ship's arcs or movement. If the arcs are very interesting (broadsides, etc. though I doubt it) it could be interesting. [Likely just an uninspired 90 front though..]. I expect movement to be fairly poor, but that is just a guess, though I would like to see it be able to move well which would give the MU a good alternative ship.

Neutral points:
-The 'big' card in the pack - Temporal Incursion - has ONLY range 3 which will be quite hard to pull off (mitigated somewhat by the 3 capt's ability and it only being a disable) . Note that this is an 8 attack, that ALSO DOES DAMAGE not just disables upgrades and unlike the other MU disable upgrade weapon (Biogenic charge) has no limit on upgrades it hits past the peak roll possibilities so you can end up disabling a ton of things on that target. Note that 8 base attack makes it one of the highest attack bases in the game and if you can get it off (perhaps using cloak + sensor echo to get into position + MU Riker to get the free action to get the BS + TL that turn or calvin hudson to make the upgrades cost less and give you more options ? ) the target WILL feel it, even a Cube will feel the effects of this attack.
-Chroniton Torpedos are mean, but limited to this ship so a bit only meh.
-Overall, there likely wont end up being epic combos, but there are some to be had that still should be fun to try and get to work.

Unfortunate points:
-Many of the cards, and the ship's main ability are not action economy happy or have other limitations. The ship has no native crew slots and focuses on tech which for some factions is not an issue (or for mixed faction games) however for faction pure-ish games this limits the options greatly as it is a MU-Ind ship so the 'good' tech pool is not that large.
-Annorax costs too much for his ability. Sure, he is an 8 skill with an ET slot but his tech is mostly not needed for MU/IND IMO and his ability is quite poor. I do not expect to see him too much.
-Temporal Core is too costly for a card that will be hard to time right.
-No single 'thematic' stand out, it seems that they took the easy way out for dealing with temporal effects for this expansion pack which IMO could have been much more inventive.

Final thoughts:
Ill buy one, as I really liked that story in Voyager, and it will help the MU fleet (which is great) but overall impact to game and meta is quite low and the fluf is only minimal IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Vulcan
United States
flag msg tools
H00D4M4N wrote:
Passing on this expansion. All the upgrades are too expensive and too limiting. Thought WK learned from their bioship mistakes but I guess not.

IMO its better then the bioship pack by quite a bit.
At least the ship and many of the cards in the pack such as the Captains are MU+Ind which is nice, also the large weapon in this pack is potentially useful (though you need to combo it to get it to work properly) where as the one in the bioship (Energy focusing ship) actually costs one more than this one and EFS has a MUCH worse attack that is completely unusable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Vulcan
United States
flag msg tools
stpitner wrote:
Can't say I'm a big fan of so many upgrades coming out recently with "you cannot perform any free actions this round" text on it.

Lol, I was thinking the opposite. I am actually glad that several of these new cards can not be used for super combos as it makes it easier to build with them in your fleet (helps reduce complexity of the game's card interactions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Chroniton torpedoes. You have to work a little to give them some quality, but a 5-dice attack that bypasses shields? I'll sign up for that. (I'm thinking Mirror Riker for a free BS token, and throw Boheeka on there for an expected 3.5 hits, with 7 points left over to spend if you want.)

Temporal Incursion is decent too, sort of a Thalaron Light. Again, it'd take a little work (such as the Khan example mentioned), but could provide a nice one-time punch. Though, like Thalaron/Voyager's torps, it suffers from the too-expense-in-a-50-pt-limit-meta problem.

Would be nice if we got picture to go with Pegasus...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Tillis
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Why all the Bioship hate? I have had more success with a two-bioship + whatever build than with any one other thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orloff wrote:
Why all the Bioship hate? I have had more success with a two-bioship + whatever build than with any one other thing.

Its not Borg...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Vulcan
United States
flag msg tools
jmdt784 wrote:
Orloff wrote:

Its not Borg...

Its mostly in a ship pure / fleet pure situation, otherwise its not a bad platform.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the timeship is just a 90 forward

I guess there's less to say about the Pegasus without having the images, but...wow, that's really just the Pegasus. I admire their pluck in making an Equinox-style expansion rather than a Yeager-style one, especially considering how incredibly dull the Equinox is. The phasing cloak seems like a...reasonable interpretation of the effect? I'm curious to see exactly what Dawn Velasquez does? OKAY DONE SAYING NICE THINGS ABOUT THE PEGASUS.

I'm still buying one though

edit: okay one more: the solo mission might be cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Granted without seeing the cards its hard to say for certain but it seems like there are many good things about the Pegasus. So feel free to keep saying them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orloff wrote:

I've never seen two used successfully to be honest. They've never beat anything I've played and I wasn't even using Borg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
I'm going to admit my bad attitude towards this is expansion is more fueled by dissapointment than the pack actually being that bad. Year of hell is the one Voyager episode everyone says is excellent and friends and other players talked about how the timeship was a monster. So getting a mediocre expansion was really disappointing.

Honestly, with MU's ability to pump attacks, those torpedoes have serious potential. The warp jump text is ok but not breathtaking. The tech that forces all enemy ships to roll defense dice and possibly disable upgrades could absolutely shaft a fleet that is relying on card synergies. The captains are meh. The elite talent wiuld be great if not limited to this new CS8 captain. Everything being dual faction gives mileage to these cards that they normally wouldn't.

I will have fun builjng the IND timeship dreadnought and having it fight the MU timeship dreadnought in an exhibition match
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
drvulcan wrote:
Timeship:
Neutral points:
-The 'big' card in the pack - Temporal Incursion - has ONLY range 3 which will be quite hard to pull off (mitigated somewhat by the 3 capt's ability and it only being a disable) . Note that this is an 8 attack, that ALSO DOES DAMAGE not just disables upgrades and unlike the other MU disable upgrade weapon (Biogenic charge) has no limit on upgrades it hits past the peak roll possibilities so you can end up disabling a ton of things on that target. Note that 8 base attack makes it one of the highest attack bases in the game and if you can get it off (perhaps using cloak + sensor echo to get into position + MU Riker to get the free action to get the BS + TL that turn or calvin hudson to make the upgrades cost less and give you more options ? ) the target WILL feel it, even a Cube will feel the effects of this attack.
-Chroniton Torpedos are mean, but limited to this ship so a bit only meh.
-Overall, there likely wont end up being epic combos, but there are some to be had that still should be fun to try and get to work.

Unfortunate points:
-Annorax costs too much for his ability. Sure, he is an 8 skill with an ET slot but his tech is mostly not needed for MU/IND IMO and his ability is quite poor. I do not expect to see him too much.
-Temporal Core is too costly for a card that will be hard to time right.

Karr with Temporal Incursion is pretty nice, B'elanna Torres can help out too- 9-10 dice there.

The tech pool with Annorax isn't bad, I like a cloaking device, monotanium armor and temporal core. That gives some great options for defense. No target locks while cloaked, difficult target locks while uncloaked (oh and Annorax can reroll the armor defense die too) and temporal core to help out even further.

Here's a fun little 50 point boat-

Kyana Prime(30)
Annorax (5)
Fleet Captain Indy (DOM) (5)
Stalking Mode(0)
Monotanium Armor Plating (2)
Cloaking Device (3)
Temporal core (5)
50 points

In general yeah I'm rather underwhelmed by the Timeship but I still see it as a nice Karr-boat (yes, it's a thing cool).

Minor variation on the above build-

Kyana Prime(30)
Karr(5)
Fleet Captain Indy (DOM) (5)
Stalking Mode(0)
Monotanium Armor Plating (2)
Cloaking Device (3)
Temporal core (5)
50 points

Hmm- Or this could be an interesting little fleet

Kyana Prime (30)
Gorn Commander (3)
Full Reverse (2)
Temporal Incursion (9)
44 points

Krenim Weapon Ship (28)
S'ssesslak (3)
Evasive Pattern Omega (3)
Temporal Incursion (9)
43 points

Alpha Hunter (26)
Any Indy Captain
Monotanium Armor (3)
Sensor Network (4)
33 points

120 points total- ETs help keep you in range 3 and your enemy in arc. Alpha Hunter sneaks around.

EDIT: I suppose we don't know whether the Generic will also be dual faction or, like the Soong generic, be only MU or Independent. So that could affect the above builds.

The Pegasus pack sounds ok. I think it's nice that they're giving a shout out to TNG production staff through the crew included in that pack, but it does concern me that maybe it means that maybe they feel they're running out of in-universe character names to use.

In any case, though I'm still really interested in the new model for the Timeship I'm finding this wave one of the more underwhelming waves overall in a while.

Also, kind of wish Annorax could be an Admiral and/or that they included a Prime Universe Independent-only version of him as well for dos Annoraxi in a fleet For fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zinvictus wrote:
I think it's nice that they're giving a shout out to TNG production staff through the crew included in that pack, but it does concern me that maybe it means that maybe they feel they're running out of in-universe character names to use.

I'm pretty sure those actually are in-universe characters (named, as they often did with very minor characters, after the staff), but they probably just appeared on a PADD or in conversation, or fused with a chunk of rock.

edit: yep. Looks like they even have pictures (which answered my next question)...Riker was looking at their personnel files or something? It's been far too long since I've seen this episode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kobold47 wrote:
Zinvictus wrote:
I think it's nice that they're giving a shout out to TNG production staff through the crew included in that pack, but it does concern me that maybe it means that maybe they feel they're running out of in-universe character names to use.

I'm pretty sure those actually are in-universe characters (named, as they often did with very minor characters, after the staff), but they probably just appeared on a PADD or in conversation, or fused with a chunk of rock.

edit: yep. Looks like they even have pictures (which answered my next question)...Riker was looking at their personnel files or something? It's been far too long since I've seen this episode.

They're actually both it turns out (or most are)-

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Andy_Simonson_(Crewman)
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Dawn_Velazquez_(Lieutenant)
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Ronald_Moore
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Eric_Motz
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Phil_Wallace

Again, I like the shout-out. I guess the one thing that breaks my sense of immersion (ironic I know for a game that allows cross-pollinating of shows and timelines) is seeing Ronald Moore's name since it's such a well-known name as a name outside the show...even if this Ronald Moore isn't the more famous Ronald D. Moore anyway.

It is cute that Dawn, Phil and Andy's off-screen roles are subtly referenced by their in game abilities. Dawn and Phil as producers have logistically related abilities (location and and scheduling) while Andy as a visual effects artist knows how things look before-hand and can adjust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Johnsen
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
drvulcan wrote:
-The 'big' card in the pack - Temporal Incursion - has ONLY range 3 which will be quite hard to pull off (mitigated somewhat by the 3 capt's ability and it only being a disable) .

Temporal Incursion is a discard, not a disable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Krenim Time Ship is pretty neat for the simple fact that it is dual faction giving it access to some pretty neat cards between Mirror Universe and Independant; I dig the Chroniton Torpedoes and Spatial Distortion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I believe he does, yes, but not in "The Pegasus." It was in "These Are the Voyages." It is nice that they were able to supply an appropriately large amount of crew choices for a Federation expansion using that information. They sound like crew that one might actually want to use, unlike say the Equinox's.

I'm very interested to see the actual cards. I assume Riker is crew as well, but they oddly placed him up with the captain/admiral/ship.

Edit: It seems they have taken down the article on the Pegasus. Was hoping they'd just go ahead and post the pictures since they messed up and posted it early. Its no doubt been copied down, so pulling it doesn't serve much purpose at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.