15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Women and Gaming

Subject: Women Gaming Groups rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fitz Firebrand
Australia
flag msg tools
I recently went to Adelaide in Australia for work reasons, and obviously had a poke around the gaming cafes and comic stores while I was there. I was surprised to find a really prominent, flourishing group for women gamers. This surprised me a bit because in my hometown (Brisbane, Australia) the gaming community groups are very much dominated by men.

Now that I am back home I'm thinking it would be great to get a female group going, but I am not sure how exactly. Does anyone have any experience with such a thing? Is it a good idea? Bad idea? How do you go about promoting it without driving people away? I love the idea of promoting women in gaming, but I don't want it to be a 'shoving it in your face, established community' sort of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't help too much because I've never tried to create an all-women gaming group. But my main suggestion for advertising for such a thing would be game stores, libraries and colleges. But you'd need to make sure you have a place to meet and for that, a lot of libraries have an event room that can be reserved, usually for free, though that really depends on the place.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Em French
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've been trying to get a Women's Group together in the Twin Cities, MN.
I haven't had much luck until I started a Facebook group and began creating specific game events to invite people. Slowly, we are getting a small but regular group together. I am hoping the more events we have, the more it will grow. It's definitely taken a lot of persistence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashlee Cramb
Australia
QLD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in Brisbane and love gaming
Also I wanted to suggest have you tried the go lounge in stones corner? They have meetup nights twice a week, and there are generally a fair few girls there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd check out meetup.com. I have found a couple of female gaming groups on there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chinagirl geek
China
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ParisPink wrote:
I'd check out meetup.com. I have found a couple of female gaming groups on there.

I second that suggestion. Our game definitely had more men till I launched it on meetup.com. Now we are probably 70% female. There appear to be a lot of women on that site who are looking for interesting things to do in their spare time and a way to meet new friends, without being hit on (or seeming like they are looking for dates).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was not looking for a female group specifically, I was looking for a smaller group (most I saw had 20+ attending the game night) and one just happened to be all female. The other two I'm a part of are a mix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marianna Cheklin
msg tools
designer
Hi all,

Any of you folk going to Pax in Melbourne this October/November?
Any game designers from Melbourne? I would really enjoy meeting other women game designers locally in person, especially tabletop designers, but I don't know any others...

:-)
Mari
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valencia Victorious Von Verrata is the
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Cursed be and eternally damned those who would steal the games of the wizardinwhite
mbmbmbmbmb
ParisPink wrote:
I was not looking for a female group specifically, I was looking for a smaller group (most I saw had 20+ attending the game night) and one just happened to be all female. The other two I'm a part of are a mix.
Sigh! Just a couple more years and I'll be in Calgary! Perhaps I shall see you at Fallcon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wizardinwhite wrote:
ParisPink wrote:
Sigh! Just a couple more years and I'll be in Calgary! Perhaps I shall see you at Fallcon!

maybe! Are you going for the whole weekend? I'm not sure what days/times I'll be there. Depends on our family schedule for that weekend. It's clear so far, minus my daughter's dance classes on Saturday but that could easily change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valencia Victorious Von Verrata is the
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Cursed be and eternally damned those who would steal the games of the wizardinwhite
mbmbmbmbmb
ParisPink wrote:
wizardinwhite wrote:
ParisPink wrote:

maybe! Are you going for the whole weekend? I'm not sure what days/times I'll be there. Depends on our family schedule for that weekend. It's clear so far, minus my daughter's dance classes on Saturday but that could easily change.
That's the plan! I might miss a bit of Friday night, as my class goes till 4. I have to see if it's something essential or not. Haven't checked my syllabi yet XD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyger mom
United States
Forest Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MinneEm wrote:
I haven't had much luck until I started a Facebook group and began creating specific game events to invite people. Slowly, we are getting a small but regular group together. I am hoping the more events we have, the more it will grow. It's definitely taken a lot of persistence.

I live in the northern suburbs and I have been the women's gaming group in St Paul at Level Up, but I would love to go to a regular one in the northern part. Let me know if you are still trying . I just discovered this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Em French
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tygermom wrote:
MinneEm wrote:

I live in the northern suburbs and I have been the women's gaming group in St Paul at Level Up, but I would love to go to a regular one in the northern part. Let me know if you are still trying . I just discovered this thread.

My group is still going. I'd still love to have a more regular schedule for game times - we've been trying to get together every couple of weeks but it doesn't always happen. It has been a bit hard to find members that can come regularly. I also sent you a PM Tyger Mom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura "lelo" D. Arrowsmith Deddens Gerard
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Create a meetup group at meetup.com! How else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.