Kris Etzinger
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Is there a good place to stop getting expansions so as to not have a huge deck and really long games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansions actually provide many mechanisms for speeding up the game. It's not uncommon for all the players to be able to play 2 (or more) cards per turn. The only way you may be slowed down by the expansions is getting familiar with the new cards.

The game tells you which order you should buy the decks in and I recommend following it. If you like the blue/yellow deck, get the red deck. If you enjoy the red deck too get the violet deck and so on. Of the primary and secondary colored decks I find them all to be great additions with the possible exception of green. The Zodiac cards introduced in green are a bit over the top in my opinion.

White and steel decks don't provide many new mechanisms and focus more on weird cards. Pink and Khaki are very good however.

The last game I played with all the decks took 20 minutes and used up about 1/4 of the cards in the deck. We were all very experienced Killer Bunnies players however and we don't play with the "close shop" cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I plan to have one desk with everything and one with just the blue/yellow starter. Playing with everything can be a major headache for a new player.

But boy is it fun to have all of that stuff spread all over the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a shorter game, take out some of the carrots...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of them that are going cheap enough to make economic tinder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Any other suggestions? I just bought the game along with the omnimous ONYX booster.

Don't mind dropping like $10-12 for an extra booster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansions should be bought in order since some cards in later expansions reference cards/dice from earlier expansions. If you are going to take this route, I highly recommend buying the first three (Red, Violet, and Orange) since they 1.) will complete the magic carrot set, 2.) give you all the stores, 3.) give you all the main dice, and 4.) they fix the game in many ways (you can now buy dead bunnies back and such). After that I would stop since green is considered not that good, and it adds the zodiac which just adds more rules and takes away from the fun. Plus, for me this is where the deck gets to be too much. I am fine with the first three but adding the fourth pushes the amount of cards over my limit.

If you are more adventurous and are thinking about exploring out of order, I would still get at least red. You might then consider Twilight and Pink since they are supposedly very good and don't conflict with missing expansions too much. I haven't played with these so I can't answer fully about how good they are, but from what I have read, people consider these pretty high up in terms of value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks. Red it is then tomorrow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also recommend buying the expansions in order. However, keep in mind that even the earlier expansions call for cards that you won't see until the last few decks, and you just have to play around the rules. It's the same for buying a deck out of order. It isn't impossible to play. Just make your own rules or ignore the cards that you can't use yet.

My favorite expansions were Orange and Green, but they're all very good. I recommend buying all the expansions one at a time, giving yourself time to get used to the new cards and rules before adding more. If you get all the way to Onyx and then decide you want to play a short, simple game, it isn't hard at all to shuffle out the Blue and/or Yellow cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.