Prev «  1 , 2  | 

Board Game: Cthulhu Wars
Cthulhu Wars» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Green: The power of the first round. A detailed look. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Varia [+] [View All]
Kyle S.
msg tools
Microbadge: Sentinels of the Multiverse fanMicrobadge: I speak pirate. Arrrh!Microbadge: I play games while I drinkMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG poster
Your proposed moves only work if CC acts before BG. If BG acts first in a game, then CC doesn't have to commit to his gate before you show your hand.

And I want to keep my OP in perspective a bit, because I think it's going off topic. It assumes that everyone will want to setup the strongest 2nd Round possible for themselves (YS going Two Gate/KiY and BG going either Red Sign/Dark Young or Fast Shub, Green and Blue going 3 Gate). Green is in the worst spot of all factions here because he is forced to go first, and CC will always have the option to punish a greedy GC because of it. So it's commonly seen that CC has control over how GC plays.

My OP was supposed to be a proof of concept that GC can flip the table and dictate CC's game just as well as the reverse if played with a certain mindset. And that mindset can carry over into future rounds for more consistent success with the Cthulhu faction.

I'm not trying to say that other factions can't also deny CC a third opening gate. But the other factions are not nearly as affected by CC with how they want to open the game. And I am very unconvinced Yellow or Red should care that much even if CC does open with 3 gates, at least not care enough to sink early resources and position to try and actively deny it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!Microbadge: We are GrantMicrobadge: Latter-day SaintMicrobadge: Jack Vance fanMicrobadge: Golden Meeple
this brings up a point that I'm not sure I've seen discussed on the forums.

There are no rules governing seat/player placement for everyone. Most groups I've seen tend to sit near their starting areas, making it often (going left from Cthulhu) GC - YS - CC - BG. But they don't have to sit like that.

While everyone knows that Cthulhu is the First Player at the start of the game, and therefore determines the direction of play after his first Action, the other 3 players can be sitting anywhere next to him.

Of course, no matter what the arrangement, Cthulhu will therefore decide whether BG or CC goes before the other, but since there's 3 other factions (in a 4 player game anyway), Cthulhu doesn't have complete control.

It would work out differently depending on whether the player controlling YS is sitting on the opposite side of the table as GC, for example...

Also, I've seen basically open conspiring. Let's say YS does sit opposite GC. Then, GC can pick CC to go second, and then both YS AND BG react to him after each Action he takes, for the entire first Action Phase. This can stunt anyone's growth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin S.
msg tools
I had some more thoughts on this: Assuming that you are stuck in a situation where BG is going Shub first round (duh) and YS also doesn't care about CG having a Turbo start - wouldn't it work starting as follows:

1) Move Cultist to North Pacific
2) Gate at North Pacific
3) Deep One at North Pacific
4) Move Deep One to South Asia / Summon Star Spawn at South Pacific
5) Capture Cultist / -
6) Capture Cultist / -

By doing so you're forcing CG to build a night gaunt or lose 2 cultists with the bonus of having your Star Spawn ready to submerge in Turn 3 if CG isn't going for 3 gates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Hover Harder
badge
You hoverin'?
Microbadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Aeon's End fan - Opened BreachMicrobadge: Spirit Island fan - River Surges in SunlightMicrobadge: Star Wars: Rebellion fanMicrobadge: Root fan
I don't understand the Shub first round strategy. It seems like a bad one since it would consume all of your power and leave you with four cultists and one controlled gate. Starting the second round with 6 power seems like a bad plan. What am I missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Cthulhu Wars fan - cultist of the Black GoatMicrobadge: Twilight Imperium fanMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica - I play the AdmiralMicrobadge: HyperspaceMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fan
It's not super common, and it has drawbacks, but also the following benefits:
1) Factions will either have no GOO on Turn 2 (leaving them vulnerable to capture from an enemy GOO), or they'll have spent all their power awakening their GOO, leaving 1 or 2 gates vulnerable
2) Avatar is a cheap way for Shub to capture a gate, since it removes an enemy from the area as well as moves her into the area. Plus, it puts you in more areas with your enemy, which helps get a spellbook
3) Awakening Shub means you have Cultists in your pool, which combos well with Avatar (spend 1 power to avatar with a lone Cultist on a gate, then 1 power to recruit a Cultist and take the gate)

Take a look at this thread for a more detailed discussion: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/18629081#18629081
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Cthulhu Wars fan - cultist of the Great CthulhuMicrobadge: Puerto Rico fanMicrobadge: Adam Poots Games "Kingdom Death: Monster" Contest participantMicrobadge: I am a Terra Mystica fan!Microbadge: We are Grant
Don't forget that when you summon Shubby, you'll most likely take Thousand Young. Guaranteeing that you pay the absolute minimum for all your monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Essen attendeeMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game FanMicrobadge: Rainbow
existoid wrote:
this brings up a point that I'm not sure I've seen discussed on the forums.

There are no rules governing seat/player placement for everyone. Most groups I've seen tend to sit near their starting areas, making it often (going left from Cthulhu) GC - YS - CC - BG. But they don't have to sit like that.
We sit with randomly-drawn characters. So it varies quite a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
Microbadge: Latter-day SaintMicrobadge: We are GrantMicrobadge: Cthulhu Wars fanMicrobadge: Game PublisherMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!
This might be my favorite discussion of all on BGG re: Cthulhu Wars. I really appreciate the insightful evaluations on both sides of the discussion.

I do agree that IMO Black Goat doesn't need to surge ahead in the early game - a slow and steady progress works just fine for her.

When I do the first-turn Shub summons, I almost always get Blood Sacrifice instead of Thousand Young. You only have so many turns for Blood Sacrifice after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Hover Harder
badge
You hoverin'?
Microbadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Aeon's End fan - Opened BreachMicrobadge: Spirit Island fan - River Surges in SunlightMicrobadge: Star Wars: Rebellion fanMicrobadge: Root fan
I find these Cthulhu Wars strategy threads super interesting. The faction specific "do" and "don't" threads that you posted long ago, Sandy, are still great reads and some of that information you even copied right into the rulebook. I agree with what Adam and Brother Jim referred to in another thread: A strategy Wiki would be awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
Microbadge: Latter-day SaintMicrobadge: We are GrantMicrobadge: Cthulhu Wars fanMicrobadge: Game PublisherMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!
bobacles wrote:
I find these Cthulhu Wars strategy threads super interesting. The faction specific "do" and "don't" threads that you posted long ago, Sandy, are still great reads and some of that information you even copied right into the rulebook. I agree with what Adam and Brother Jim referred to in another thread: A strategy Wiki would be awesome!
Hop to it, Bob!

I also want to make the suggestion that when High Priests become available, they are more of an asset/offer more opportunites to Black Goat & Cthulhu in the 2nd turn than Crawling Chaos and Yellow Sign. Of course overall the High Priests benefit everyone but that 2nd-turn bump from the High Priest is pretty significant for this Cthulhu strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |