Popular Tags: [View All]
John Heder
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would normally want to play a game a few times (at least twice) before I write a review (as I've only written a few reviews this may seem a bit strange), but as I feel I may not be able to play Dragonriders again (for a while at least), I think I'm ok with just my initial impressions.

Quickly a short report on how my one game went.

3 players Rayito, Reed, and myself. I went first, got fireballs shot at me 3 times in the first three turns, and ran into a wall due to poor planning, and was placed where I was at the end of the first turn. Reed quickly crashed dragons a couple of times and ran into a wall to be placed behind me at the end of the forth turn. Leaving Rayito to mosey on to the finish at his leisure.

Now my feelings on the game.

I acquired the game on a screaming deal. At a used bookstore that also deals a lilttle bit in other items, I found it and got it wit "trade" that I allready had. I got it because it was about dragons and I've always liked dragon type stuff, because it looked very cool, and because I had trade and wouldn't have to spend any money on it.

After bringing it home and looking at it I thought it still looked cool. The box was cool, the pieces were cool. The course tiles were cool. The designs on everyting were cool. BUT reading a little bit about it on this site, I was a little concerned about it. No one seems to care for the game, and the big problem that people seemed to have is that the dragon pieces were easily moved when they needed to be more stable and stationary.

Playing the game, I can completely agree with that fault of the game. I feel however that a little bit of poster tacky stuff on the base might help with that problem, but that may present the problem of hurting the game pieces a little bit.

Another problem I had was putting the suggested course together. I started putting it together and couldn't find the appropriate pieces for several squares of the course. Several of the tiles were duplicated and had to be turned over and replaced before the course was finished. Even then the extra tiles did not yet match the picture of the suggested course, but we were in a hurry to get it going so I didn't try to get the last few inconsequential pieces matched exactly.

I did like that the modular pieces were bound by the border to prevent them from slipping around, but getting it put together took entirely too long. I felt that perhaps small numbers or marks on the race tiles would have helped in organizing the course.

Then in play. As stated the pieces were just not stable enough and were easily moved. Some one suggested that if they were magnatized it might help. Who knows the issues that that might bring up though? I think that the pieces themselves could be a little heavier. This might provide more support when just standing, but the biggest problem was in movement. When placing the movement measure devices, you had to be extremely careful or you could easily move your own piece detrimentally.

I did like the method of deciding movement - with the dials simultaniously revealed showing both previous movement and current movement.

I felt that crashing into dragons needs some tweaking. Being crashed into twice in the game I was able to reposition my dragon in any direction I wanted. However I feel that being crashed into from behind should maybe move you forward, rather than just to the side. Reed felt that there should be some penulty for the dragon that got crashed into rather than just for the dragon that did the crashing. He probably felt that way as his dragon crashed into mine twice in the first three turns.

On this matter, I feel that I read something about the translation in English making the penulty different than it was in German. I'm unsure if this is what I remember from my readings, but I think that perhaps crashing into another dragon should reduce speed BY 100 rather than TO 100.

I also feel there should be something that a player in the lead can do to those in the rear. I lead for the first three turns so I had a big ol target on my back and lost three energy from fireballs. This primed me for being taken out of the game when I made my speeed mistake and careened off into and through the boundry.

One other thing. Once Rayito was off on his own, there was nothing to be done. Nothing to stop him. Nothing to be able to catch up to him. Nothing.

In general, I liked the game, but had problems with it as well, and I don't see myself playing it too often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Penner
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I hope you do still bring it with you. I'd like to take a shot at it at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bas van der Meer
Netherlands
Oegstgeest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amigo offers a free do-it-yourself solution to make the dragons more stable. See their website:

http://www.amigo-spiele.de/AM_News_Drachenreiter.Amigo

click on "Ersatzteilformular" and fill in the form, they will send you a strip of foil to stick under the dragons to prevent them from falling over.

On the other hand, since you're in the USA, you'll probably have the Rio Grande version, so I don't know if this offer also applies to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to admit I enjoyed the game. I really like race games and there were a lot of cool ideas in this one. I liked how you could bump someone to the outside of the lane, and how the cards are designed to allow you to catch up.

The reason I was able to walk away with the win is that you and Reed crashed right after a shart turn and had to go back to before the turn. Right after the turn was a straight of way which allowed me to gun it and get around the next bend before you and Reed could get line of sight.

I really like race games in general and the only thing I didn't like about this one was how easy it was to accidentally move the pieces (though this is a pretty big hit against the game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know the game, just saw it on a site and tried to find out more, but couldn't you just glue the dragons to something heavy?
Maybe find a nice stone in the garden.
But than again maybe it would look a bit silly during the game to have a high speed dragon carry a rock.
Well it was just a suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mitchell
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
I don't know the game, just saw it on a site and tried to find out more, but couldn't you just glue the dragons to something heavy?

Anyone try something - like a penny - it seems this should be a simple fix.

Why a penny?

My girlfriend really wants this game so it means a lot to make sure it's something we'll play more than once together.

I am missing a good racing game from my collection mainly because no one I play with is interested in that kind of thing, so I'm crossing my fingers that racing dragons might change that :D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Running the risk of appearing stupid, explain the photo if you will.
sauron

Aah I see now, it's from that medical series I never watch.
I did stumble upon it a few time while zapping (as we now constantly seem to do, dutch telly being as it is) but I never have found the patience to watch a full episode.

so.... please explain...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davis Talhone
msg tools
This could very well be the worst game I've ever played, EVER. Your assessment is spot on- great looking box, cool pieces, nice board, terrible game mechanics. What a let down.yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.