13 Posts

Flash Point: Fire Rescue – Extreme Danger» Forums » Rules

Subject: Portable ladders in a family game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Berggreen
Denmark
flag msg tools
I'm having a great deal of fun playing this game with my daugther. We are currently playing by family rules. However, I'm having some issues when combining this expansion (Extreme danger) with the family game rules of the base game. Can anyone help me? (I'll create one thread per issue.)

First some basic understanding/assumptions.
- Portable ladders are not optional.
- Portable ladders are used when playing garage+attic, laboratory, laboratory+basement or laboratory+attic.

Now the question: Since there is no fire engine, how are the portable ladders used? Can they be picked up at any place outside the building?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember this coming up as part of Flash Point: Fire Rescue – 2nd Story, but I'm not sure where. If I remember correctly, you may pick up the portable ladders at any of the engine parking spots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...and if I recall correctly, you can start with a "virtual ladder" when you start the game but you "lose it" if you go inside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
mbmbmbmbmb
garry_rice wrote:
...and if I recall correctly, you can start with a "virtual ladder" when you start the game but you "lose it" if you go inside.

I definitely do not remember that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember that you can pick them up for no action cost at the Fire Engine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
mbmbmbmbmb
jedimusic wrote:
I remember that you can pick them up for no action cost at the Fire Engine.

But in the family rules, there is no fire engine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcadious wrote:
garry_rice wrote:

You're right...I'm remembering a short discussion I had here...see the initial post for how to handle it: Where to pick up ladders in a family game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
mbmbmbmbmb
garry_rice wrote:
Arcadious wrote:
garry_rice wrote:

You're right...I'm remembering a short discussion I had here...see the initial post for how to handle it: Where to pick up ladders in a family game?

Ah, I was mistaken. That was the thread I was thinking of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Berggreen
Denmark
flag msg tools
garry_rice wrote:

Allow me to continue in this forum since this is about "Extreme danger" and not "2nd story".

Quote from "2nd story" forum:

PunTheHun wrote:

I offer 2 solutions:

- Play without ladders, so the only rule changes from the basic game are windows and stairs.

- Stack all ladder tokens on one engine parking lot of your choice. You can pick them up from either space of that parking lot.

I'm worried about how this affects difficulty.

Not using the ladders will make the game harder, and that is not a purpose of the family game. I tried this yesterday with 2 players. It was hard and we totally lost since the attic burned down

The other proposal is fine, but it will take lots of moves to carry a ladder around the building so maybe it's still too difficult. I propose to refine it to place ladders at more than one parking lot. Maybe on two or maybe on each side of the building? I think the family game should be kept simple so I'm not proposing rules for ordering ladders for x AP and such things.

Do anyone know how much thought has been put into ensuring a good balance/difficulty in this expansion? Like theoretically or by testing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also do as I suggested and just start with a ladder that you would drop on the ground outside the building if you go inside before setting it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Berggreen
Denmark
flag msg tools
garry_rice wrote:
You could also do as I suggested and just start with a ladder that you would drop on the ground outside the building if you go inside before setting it up.

Yes, but this ladder could be pretty far away. Given that it is a family game, I think they should be easily accessible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a game that is very open to house rules, so you can easily do what you want...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Berggreen
Denmark
flag msg tools
You are right. Minor rule modifications is easy in this game.

But if others (designers or testers or enthusiasts) have experience with balancing the game, then I'd appreciate that info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.