David Hernandez
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamey,

In your last newsletter you mentioned that in Scythe, all four resources in the game (grain, wood, metal, and oil) can be found in your treasure chests. Will there be a deluxe version of Scythe that could possibly include the components? Will we have an opportunity during the Scythe Kickstarter to acquire upgraded components? Or will the Treasure Chests be the only way to upgrade the resources? I simply want to make an informed decision. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David: That's a good question. It's hard for me to answer it with any type of guarantee, but here are the two options I'm leaning towards:

1. The deluxe version of the game would include realistic versions of those specific resources. It would be priced around $99.

2. The deluxe version of the game would not include realistic versions of those specific resources. It would be priced around $79, and the tokens could be added on to the game for around $20 (maybe a little more to cover the separate pick-and-pack fee).

That's what I lean towards. If you have uses for the other tokens in the treasure chests, it's much more financially viable to get them now. But I think there's a good chance they'll be available in some form during the Scythe campaign. Like I said, no guarantees, but that's my inclination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamey, I think the add-on option is the way to go. I see no downsides to this option (except maybe possible confusion for new KS users?), whereas bundling the "tokens" would harm backers of your current campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan: I lean towards the same thing. I don't necessarily think adding the tokens would actually harm anyone--they're just more of a good thing--but it could create some redundancy.

Add-ons create logistical issues on my end that can carry over to a backer's experience, especially with a project of Scythe's potential. But I have some experience with that after Tuscany, so it shouldn't be a big problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergo Tothmihaly
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
Mage Tools for Android
mbmbmb
Do I understand correctly that these "realistic versions of those specific resources" are not the ones from the treasure box but other custom tokens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Dan: I lean towards the same thing. I don't necessarily think adding the tokens would actually harm anyone--they're just more of a good thing--but it could create some redundancy.

Add-ons create logistical issues on my end that can carry over to a backer's experience, especially with a project of Scythe's potential. But I have some experience with that after Tuscany, so it shouldn't be a big problem.

Yeah, "harm" was not the correct word. "Financially impact" might have been better.

I think you absolutely understand my point, but to be clear, if I already have specialty tokens for the game, I wouldn't want to be "forced" into buying a "deluxe" version of the game that has the same tokens if the "deluxe" version had other elements not found in the "base" game.

If the "deluxe" version's only feature was the specialty tokens, I could skip it and get the "base" game.

So, if add-ons are a problem, and the "deluxe" version *will* include non-base-game elements other than the specialty tokens, another solution is 3 SKUs. One for the base game, one for the deluxe game, and one for the deluxe game *with* specialty tokens. But I know more SKUs are also a headache.

Of course, now that I've written all this, I realize that you've no doubt put more thought into it than I. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gergo: They would be the exact same tokens as those found in the treasure chests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan: I like that you put so many words in quotes. Especially "force"--we don't force anyone to buy anything.

I think the key word is simply "redundancy." I would generally prefer to avoid redundancy. I think there's a bit of a gray area here because it's not like you can't use one set of the tokens (unlike, say, an identical set of cards of which you can only use one of each card), but there is some redundancy if we went that route.

Right, we did multiple SKUs like that for Tuscany. We would still probably need to create external packs of the tokens as well, similar to what we did with the Viticulture 1.0 update packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergo Tothmihaly
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
Mage Tools for Android
mbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Gergo: They would be the exact same tokens as those found in the treasure chests.
Great, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to chime in: I'd rather purchase a 79$ deluxe version without the tokens, as I am perfectly fine with cardboard or wooden pieces. In fact, I already consider wooden pieces being 'deluxe'. If the tokens are the only difference to the standard version, I'll just skip the deluxe version, that's fine with me. But if the deluxe version comes with additional game components, be it cards or an additional faction, I would prefer to pay $79 instead of $99 including the special tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have all the resources anyway, but I'd still pick up the set for Scythe, as it's easier than carrying the treasure chests around ^^.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smoothsmith wrote:
I'll have all the resources anyway, but I'd still pick up the set for Scythe, as it's easier than carrying the treasure chests around ^^.

Just my thought as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fusionkast wrote:
(grain, wood, metal, and oil)

Let the backers know which TC's these resources come from! That way, backers can just buy the TC's so they can get resources for Scythe as well as any other games they have!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're actually spread out across all four chests (I swear that's a coincidence).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
They're actually spread out across all four chests (I swear that's a coincidence).

Good thing I bought all 4 then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip "Rastula" Nowakowski
Poland
Poznań
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I supported all T.Ch. so i'm definitely for add-on option ...

Of course i could find a use for more tokens, but the lower price of base set would be also good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
raz972 wrote:

Of course i could find a use for more tokens, but the lower price of base set would be also good.

There'll be three versions of the game on Kickstarter and only the most expensive one will include the resource tokens from the treasure chests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
raz972 wrote:

There'll be three versions of the game on Kickstarter and only the most expensive one will include the resource tokens from the treasure chests.

There's info about the prices and what's included here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip "Rastula" Nowakowski
Poland
Poznań
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes i know that - but the premium version also include 50% larger board.

base game + coins for 79$

i probably can live without larger board ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamey mentioned the possibility of the larger board as a separate add-on for those not wanting to go all-in at the $99 level but still wanting the board. Don't think it's set in stone but that would be a nice compromise for those who already have treasure chest resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, just to clarify, the collector's edition will have an extension to the original board (the same board that's in every game) to make it bigger, so anyone can add that on if they don't want the full collector's edition. They can also add on the coins or the realistic resources or the art book. So if you want the premium version and you want the resources but not the board extension, you can do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Right, just to clarify, the collector's edition will have an extension to the original board (the same board that's in every game) to make it bigger, so anyone can add that on if they don't want the full collector's edition

Perhaps we should add that the board in each copy is double sided. One side with the normal size board and one side with 2/3 (or some such fraction) of the larger board, which you then complete with the extension board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great point, Morten. I'm working on a gif that explains the concept better than my words.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Spencer
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamey,
Do you already had the size of the board and the extension?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do. The board will be 510x670, and the extension (a separate piece) will be 670x255. Thus the total size of the big board (two pieces) is 670x765.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.