T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I swore I'd never start a blog. I don't even like the word "blog." It sounds like something an old person would say to sound like they know what they're talking about. And don't even get me started on "blogosphere," what the heck is that about.

But I fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The first is to never get involved in a land war in Asia, but the second, only slightly well less known, is to never swear you won't do something, when you know you'll probably end up doing it eventually. The problem is two-fold. First, I like making websites (Exhibit A: http://www.columbia.edu/~tir2101/ -- Exhibit B: http://www2.law.columbia.edu/fourcs/ -- Exhibit C: http://www.columbia.edu/cu/csss/ -- Exhibit D: http://www.columbia.edu/cu/pilf/), I may not be very good at it (probably in part because I don't like using a web editor (e.g., Frontpage), preferring simple text editing with Notepad instead), but I still find it very fun for some strange reason. Second, I like rambling about games, and I found that some of my more lengthy commentaries were getting buried in the flurry of daily BGG posts.

So the solution was to do what I swore I'd never do, and start yet another gaming blog. You really have no reason to read it, other than to procrastinate doing real work, but that's pretty much why I write it, when I do. So without further ado, feel free to visit http://www.columbia.edu/~tir2101/nycgamer.html if you feel so inclined

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, now you need a Blog microbadge!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy smokes, our collections are remarkably similar. I guess you're a GeekBuddy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:
Well, now you need a Blog microbadge!

Hehe, thanks for the reminder Jess, I'd completely forgotten those existed (it is cool that they link right to the blog). My problem is that I'm too indecisive to pick just 5 microbadges. I couldn't bear to part with my T&E, Meeple, or BSW badges, so it would have to be either the Rules Lawyer or the Game Explainer one, but I like those too. I tried subbing in either the Hey That's My Fish or Through the Desert badges that I designed, but ended up going back to my original five after a bit. Perhaps I should buy an UberGeekBadge and stick copies of microbadges in it like I've seen some clever geeks do, to avoid the 5 microbadge limit

Scott Firestone IV wrote:
Holy smokes, our collections are remarkably similar. I guess you're a GeekBuddy.

Ditto!

Every time I think I can't want Taj Mahal more than I already do, I find yet another reason to eagerly look forward to the arrival of the reprint, hehe. Great taste Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Squires
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tom,

congrats on the blog. I'm bummed that I didn't run across you at the BGG Con... Oh wait! I forget that you didn't attend

I'll make an effort to make it up to Columbia soon OR make sure you're on my next Brooklyn gaming invite (are you allowed to cross the river?).

Great collection and I always enjoy your comments/reviews, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks John. I'm bummed that I didn't attend BGG.CON

That would be great if you can make it up to Columbia some time, our next meeting (and last of the semester) is Friday, December 1st from 7pm to midnight, but after that we actually won't meet again until January.

I haven't been to Brooklyn yet, except to go to Peter Luger's once, so I'd be happy to try to navigate my way out there (despite the river) next time you host some gaming. Morgan, another Brooklyn-er, has suggested that there are actually "magic tunnels" that transport you underneath the river, extraordinary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tag wrote:
blog_blah_blah

I guess I'm not the only one who has a general aversion to blogs laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, my hit counter tells me that one of you is still using 800 x 600 resolution surprise ... which one of you is it? C'mon, fess up laugh

P.S. I love the recent integration between StatCounter and Google Maps, it's really fun to use Google's satellite images to see where hits are coming from!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.