Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Why were we not in the movie?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm posting this based on no actual play using it, but it strikes me that a Gear card that allows the entire Posse to remove up to 3 Corruption Points to gain shots or add to Combat for a turn is really powerful. I'd love to hear Joel Flamme's comments on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kell zilla
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only once per adventure - not very OP. We already get similar with the Marshall and Lawman's starting gear badges - and they get those from the start without having to dig through otherworld detritus for them.

Considering how many gear cards there are (sooooooooo many gear cards!), you are suuuuuuuuuuper unlikely to get this, making it worthwhile. There's all kinds of powerful items in the gear deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik K.
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Beorndog wrote:
I'm posting this based on no actual play using it, but it strikes me that a Gear card that allows the entire Posse to remove up to 3 Corruption Points to gain shots or add to Combat for a turn is really powerful. I'd love to hear Joel Flamme's comments on it.

I was debating that very point when I first read the card.
Same as you, I have yet to play any game that has the "Rusty Badge" in inventory.

At first I thought it might be too powerful. Upon reflection, my assumption was based entirely on one group in an ongoing game. In that group, players seem to run around with two or three Corruption Points on them most of the time. Given that Mutations crop up at 5 points (barring any modifications to that threshold) and reset to zero, running around with 3 Corruption can be quite risky. Essentially, some unlucky "Darkness" or "Growing Dread" draws could mean that player(s) wind up mutating when they were otherwise just waiting for the most opportune time to use that badge.

A couple days later, I ran another demonstration game and found that group put a lot more thought into their Corruption levels. (Some might say they were being too cautious, but that is a discussion for another time.) This type of group would probably find little combat benefit in having the "Rusty Badge." To them it might just be a handy way of removing Corruption in the course of an adventure. They would likely see it as a tool that guarantees the removal of Corruption, instead of having to gamble on failure to do so in town, to say nothing of the actual gold cost for the procedure in town.

I guess the question of whether or not the "Rusty Badge" is actually "overpowered" might ultimately come down to the situation the posse finds themselves in at the time and the luck of the rolls when they actually use it.

Those are just a couple of thoughts that I had without the benefit of having all the rules, cards, etc. in front of me while thinking about it. Regardless, this is all just theoretical speculation and I can hardly wait to actually put it to the test in the "real world."

Good luck, y'all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its no more powerful than the badges used by the Lawman and Marshall. Those give +2 shots/combat.

Rusty badge gives 0-3 shots/combat, depending on the number of corruption points a Hero has. Not every Hero will have a full 3 corruption points, and chances are good that only 1 or two will have any corruption points to use.

It is dangerous to run around with 3 corruption, risking a mutation, just to trigger this badge. My group always heals their corruption during their town stay every chance we get, for example. For us, it would probably end up being more useful as an item to get rid of occasional corruption, rather than relying on it for the extra shots.

So, its a good item, but does not seem overpowered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Flamme
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I don't remember the exact text of the card, but here are a few general thoughts about item design.

A lot of the enemies, encounters, gear, etc. that are being worked on now are pretty exciting. Not only are they filling out the world and rounding out the game, but a lot of the enemies have some really cool new mechanics (can you guess what happens you get bitten by a werewolf?). One example of this is enemies with abilities that really punish heroes that run around with unhealed corruption and mutations. So running around with a few corruption to take advantage of the rusty badge might not be that good of an idea.

During the course of playtesting, there are a lot of discussions on whether item A is overpowered or not. A few things to take into consideration are: Does it have an anvil icon? A darkstone icon? Is it restricted to heroes with a certain keyword? All of those play into the item's theoretical 'budget'. Even when all those are taken into consideration, there are times when I (or another playtester) thinks an item is a little too powerful. In these instances, Jason usually responds by saying that he has no problem with some items being inherently more powerful than another item. After all, there should be times when someone is genuinely excited to draw a certain card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Gutierrez
Spain
flag msg tools
I think that really overpowered is heal you up to 3 points of corruption and gain shots or combat in the action for each point and for each player.

This badge should be discarded in the process and not once Adventure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my gameā€¦ when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
My random thoughts:

It's about the same as the other badges except it heals corruption at the same time. What is that worth? The money spent at the doctor. Saving a mutation from triggering? I don't think those 2 aspects make it "overpowered". (Most of my group, except for me, actually love getting mutations. I guess for the story flavor of it. Triggering their Chest Portals is always gleefully met.)

Besides, overpowered isn't as big a worry in a coop game. The whole group benefits. The monsters become a tiny bit easier with this one item? Not really a worry.

I suppose to contradict myself, I'll say that we already find the game way too easy. I think especially with 5-6 players. There are a lot of good items, and a lot of good new items in these new supplements and eventually they'll find their way to the person who can benefit the most from them. Really hoping the difficulty ramps up....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Barajas
msg tools
This item was one I was wondering about as I didn't think it said it was +1 shot/point spent, just +1 shot if you can spend 1-3 corruption points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Grit
msg tools
Raijen151 wrote:
This item was one I was wondering about as I didn't think it said it was +1 shot/point spent, just +1 shot if you can spend 1-3 corruption points.

Good point, so which is it? It can be interpreted either way in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Grit
msg tools
dvang wrote:
Its no more powerful than the badges used by the Lawman and Marshall. Those give +2 shots/combat.

Rusty badge gives 0-3 shots/combat, depending on the number of corruption points a Hero has. Not every Hero will have a full 3 corruption points, and chances are good that only 1 or two will have any corruption points to use.

It is dangerous to run around with 3 corruption, risking a mutation, just to trigger this badge. My group always heals their corruption during their town stay every chance we get, for example. For us, it would probably end up being more useful as an item to get rid of occasional corruption, rather than relying on it for the extra shots.

So, its a good item, but does not seem overpowered.

Do you gain a shot for each corruption point? Or is it remove up to 3 corruption points and gain 1 shot? It's not clear and can be interpreted either way. How are most people playing it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Simcoe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It clearly says on the card you get +1 for each point. So you will get 1-3 extra shots/combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Barnes
United Kingdom
Woolwich
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This card has been the most overpowered one I've seen.

Since we found this item, nobody has ever mutated again, and our gunslinger is now spamming shots from a Trederra Trench Pistol with impunity, since we all know that corruption is nothing to worry about.

This is based on one posse playing 5 missions with this item. I hate it!

It would be more fun, interesting and balanced in my opinion of it said something like "you may take up to 3 corruption with no defense to gain that many extra shots/combat".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.