4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Seeking Play Testers

Subject: [ PNP ][ WIP ] 2-4 player Card game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Greenwood
Canada
flag msg tools
This game is currently unnamed and the theme is a concept theme and not in any way final. Printing out the cards and getting set up shouldn't take more than 15-20 mins. Print 2 copies if playing with 3 or 4 players.

This game plays like a TCG but instead of focusing on the cards chosen for each deck, the players share a deck of only 5 different types of cards and focus on optimizing the decisions you make each turn to best react to your opponent/future cards drawn.

Rules: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1359363/wip-2-4-player-light...
Cards: http://www.mediafire.com/view/os5bxgi5gy5ak0t/cards.pdf

Clarifications of the rules:

Playing a card - Means to put it down face up in front of you. It stays there until either the round ends or your opponent plays a rune of destruction and chooses to make you put it into the discard area. When you play a card of the same color of one already in play, place it on top slightly lower to keep it organized but able to be counted by either player at a glance.

Discard Area - Each player has 1 pile of all cards of any color discarded. Order does not matter and either player may look through either discard pile at any time. Keep it separate from the play area to avoid confusion.

"Countering" cards - When a player first puts a card from their hand into play, any opponent may discard 2 cards from their hand of the same color (if your opponent plays an orange card, you may discard 2 orange cards). If they do, the card is put into that players discard pile and its effect does not happen. When you play a card, give a small pause before applying its effect to see if your opponent wishes to do this.

Questions for playtesters
- Is this too simple? We plan on future expansions adding more card effects for each color and potentially adding a variant where each player has their own deck.
- How long does a best 3 rounds out of 5 take with 2 players? 3? 4?
- Do you feel there are multiple strategies you can pursue?
- Does luck play too much into the outcome?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Greenwood
Canada
flag msg tools
Since I haven't received any sort of comments, would I be correct in assuming this game is TOO simple?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex McArthur
msg tools
I love the rune theme, but yea it would be cool to have some other mechanics. Let me look over it again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Greenwood
Canada
flag msg tools
Personally I think the core mechanics are fine being simple. Those being:
-5 Colors.
-Victory on having 1 or more of all 5 colors in play.
-Draw 1 card a turn.
-6 cards in hand.

Current but optional mechanics:
-Shared Deck
-Each color only has 1 effect on being played

However, in its current form, it will never extend past a time filler game between/before playing other games. Potential additions would be:

-turn restrictions to make more decision trees (such as play a card OR draw a card)
-different runes of each color to make each game different
-individual decks (that can be constructed?)
--drafting system

I still play the basic game at lunch a lot and find it to be quite fun and rewarding, and I would recommend others try it and perhaps give feedback for extending it to a more comprehensive idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.