GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,976 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure what to make of this. The US Army is training in Texas since it has challenging terrain. Texas Governor Greg Abbott is order the Texas Guard to monitor the training to "to safeguard Texans' constitutional rights, private property & civil liberties".

Is Texas worried they are training in Texas as a prelude to invade Texas? That the Army is going to sneak in married gay couples to destabilize the state? Plant anchor babies?

Quote:
Texas Governor Greg Abbott is ordering the Texas State Guard to monitor a two-month long U.S. military exercise scheduled to be held in Bastrop County this summer. The move comes amid suspicions from some residents (and the Internet) about the motivations behind the training.

The exercises, designated Operation Jade Helm 15, will involve more than 1,200 soldiers, Marines and others between July 15 and September 15. The military says the exercise is intended to train personnel on acclimating to unfamiliar terrain and climates.

U.S. Army Special Operations Command spokesman, Lieutenant Colonel Mark Lastoria, says the summer months will offer an ideal training climate.

"After driving around Texas all of two weeks ago logging in about 900 miles in less than 48 hours, I can see the terrain is very challenging and is going to make our soldiers sweat,” Lastoria said. “And sweating in peacetime is what we want because we want to reduce the bleeding in wartime."

On Monday, dozens of people filled the Bastrop County Commissioners Court to voice concerns about the military exercises. Lastoria took a number of questions from people who suspect Jade Helm is something nefarious. Bastrop County resident Daniel DuCloux has some reservations about the training program.

"I think historically, it's much more common for governments to be tyrannical and infringe on other's rights,” DuCloux said. “So when you see a large military build-up like this, I think it's our duty as citizens to question what's going on and to find answers. I mean, if we don't, then who will?"

Governor Abbott, apparently sensitive to those concerns, instructed the Commander of the Texas State Guard, Major General Gerald “Jake” Betty, to monitor and update the Governor’s office.

http://kut.org/post/abbott-orders-texas-guard-monitor-planne...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two places where elements of the far right meet the far left. One is sex/puritanism. The other, they both get nervous with the military/cops.

This is just them reacting to a Special Forces training exercise happening here. Nothing to see, move on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Alex Jones his cronies on Infowars have been freaking out about this for few months now. One of the better lunatic theories is that Jade Helm is a cover for Death Squads. Governor Abbot is in the middle of a big fight Tea Party lunatics who are backing the Lt. Governor, Dan Patrick. This was a cheap way for him to look like he was 'doing something' about a non-existent problem, in order to make some of Patrick's supporters relax a bit.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
This state is ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just reminds me of this scene:

Militia has gotta stop Northern Aggression, bro. It's everywhere.devil
/sarcasm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Oh, and didn't you get to fake shoot at fake Stonewall Jackson anyway, last summer? Lucky bastard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
This should be fun to watch. Why not invite the vocal open carry supporters to demonstrate in the area, too? Nothing goes better with paranoia than guns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
party of fiscal responsibility, amirite?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Very legal & very cool
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
Alex Jones his cronies on Infowars have been freaking out about this for few months now. One of the better lunatic theories is that Jade Helm is a cover for Death Squads.

Man, I almost envy Alex Jones and his ilk - I love crazy conspiracy shit, and the real world is so boring compared to what they imagine is going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
windsagio wrote:
party of fiscal responsibility, amirite?

Fortunately, the Texas Guard is mostly a bunch of unpaid amateurs, so it's not going to cost the State that much at all. These guys aren't the National Guard, or connected in any real way with any of the armed forces.

Usually, they help with parking at fairs or festivals, or help out during hurricanes.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
Chigwell, Essex, London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would assume this would go down pretty simply.

"Hey guys we're here to monitor you while your in Texas!"

"Get fucked."

"Okey, dokey."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

No, Texas is awesome and some just like to hate. Even our crazies are more interesting than other state's crazies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
Maybe the army serves cake from dubious sources....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
The Federal forces should screw with them and wear blue helmets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
tstone wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

No, Texas is awesome and some just like to hate. Even our crazies are more interesting than other state's crazies.

Florida says hi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
tstone wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Florida says hi.

Touche.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to Wiki;

Quote:
Members receive duty pay [currently $121 daily, regardless of rank] when activated by the Governor and placed on paid state active duty

$121 per soldier per day to make sure the US Army doesn't take over Texas. Seems a good use of money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb

Not to change the topic but I would love a good old (modern) fashioned civil war type game called Invasion Texas.

Once again Texas demands independence. But this time from the U.S.
Mexico allies itself with Texas as much of Texas has ties to Mexico!
North Korea sends aid to Texas as a way to disrupt our infrastructure and gain their own foothold.

Will the Texans last stand end like the Alamo? Or will they repel the invading imperial forces of the U.S?!

OK, someone throw some rules together for me....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Wise ol Gnome wrote:

Will the Texans last stand end like the Alamo? Or will they repel the invading imperial forces of the U.S?!

I predict a mass exodus from Texas as most residents want no part of that craziness, and the few nuts who stay behind will not be able to create a unifying message and end up shooting each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Wise ol Gnome wrote:

I predict a mass exodus from Texas as most residents want no part of that craziness, and the few nuts who stay behind will not be able to create a unifying message and end up shooting each other.

OK, that can be an event card. Red Dawn: Mass Exodus! The N. Koreans move in freely and take base there. The U.S. must repel them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
Wise ol Gnome wrote:

OK, that can be an event card. Red Dawn: Mass Exodus! The N. Koreans move in freely and take base there. The U.S. must repel them.

So a Fortress America reboot as a CDG as opposed to a plot change like Fortress America?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Wise ol Gnome wrote:

So a Fortress America reboot as a CDG as opposed to a plot change like Fortress America?

Exactly!

Even if every person in Texas that had the "independent" attitude bought a game it would do quite well. A revamp of FA for the win!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Donald wrote:
Not sure what to make of this. The US Army is training in Texas since it has challenging terrain. Texas Governor Greg Abbott has ordered the Texas Guard to monitor the training to "to safeguard Texans' constitutional rights, private property & civil liberties".

Is Texas worried they are training in Texas as a prelude to invade Texas? That the Army is going to sneak in married gay couples to destabilize the state? =Plant anchor babies?....

http://kut.org/post/abbott-orders-texas-guard-monitor-planne...

I speculate that it's more of the trumped-up pre-show preliminaries to paint President Obama as a wild-eyed tyrant in order to somehow "explain" afterwards the justification for why it was necessary for a right-wing overthrow of the government a la a "Seven Days In May" scenario to have occurred.

So, Texas Republican Governor Abbot -- has legitimized such concerns by actually ordering the Texas State Guardsmen to monitor the military-training event.

And don't forget that while he was a Texas gubernatorial candidate, Greg Abbot posed for a photograph with Kevin "K.C." Massey, the "commanding officer" of the Camp Lonestar border militia (who also sported an "Abbot for Governor" campaign button), who was arrested by government agents just a few short days after that photograph below was taken, for having ammonium nitrate (for making bombs like Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nicholls did) and a weapons cache in his hotel room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
tstone wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Florida says hi.

Says a guy from California.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.