Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just as Pedro(pitris) wonders about Blue Moon City versus Mykerinos (a question I had too; thanks for asking), I also wonder how BMC compares to Louis XIV? I own BMC and like it, valuing it's replayability and strategic and tactical depth. I play it mostly as a 2-player game against my husband. Louis XIV's setup looks remarkably similar to BMC, so how does it compare in gameplay? Does it work well as a 2-player game? Opinions please! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Louis plays very well as a 2-player game. It is more complex compared to BMC and Mykerinos with much more tactical depth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As for replayability, keep in mind that L14 does not have a random board setup, like BMC does. While L14 is certainly deeper, and I have and like both, I find BMC more replayable. I'll play L14 once in a while, but I could easily play BMC back to back. I'd probably pass on BMC as a 2 player game though. BMC strongly encourages you to work with other players, but in a two player game you lose that dynamic (i.e. you both don't gain from cooperating, so no one is penalized for going it alone relative to the group that is cooperating).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
In two players BMC, an often ignored rule into play: If at any point you run out of cubes, you lose! With 3 or 4 player, that would never happen, but it's critical to the two player game.If two players just try to fill in the expensive cube in all the 2 buildings, claiming it as their own, chances are they'll run out of cubes. If all the players do is hop around to empty buildings and fill them with the cards they have, they will also run out of cubes, or slow down considerably.

Two player Blue Moon City is very different from 3 or 4 players, but it's still a good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Louis XIV is a wonderful game, with great depth and a good mix of strategy and tactics. I recommend it.
It's not that similar to BMC, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Louis XIV is one of my all-time favourite games (see profile). I'm also quite a Blue Moon (card game) fan. However, Blue Moon City just didn't really do it for me. Although BMC and LXIV are very different games, they do have strong similarities and quite frankly I'd rather play LXIV any day.

I cannot comment on the two-player game for either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BMC works very well as a two player game, by the dynamic changes.

Keep in mind that payouts don't increase by much in many cases if a player makes sure that they have the larger contribution on a building. But insuring that you get the bonus for the larger contribution will generally cost you more cards, and BMC is, like Blue Moon itself, a hand management game.

So you are constantly torn between going for the extra reward, or trying to maintain your hand size. Attracting Dragons has a large effect here, as each time you attract a dragon, you reduce your hand by one card.

If you put one cube on a building and then leave, you will get most of the benefit, particularly after the neighboring buildings are complete. The decision then is to spend the extra cards to prevent the other player from getting a payout, or going elsewhere to be sure that you participate in as many payouts as possible. So the game becomes about gaining marginal advantages over the other player.

If you follow the strategy of spreading out, however, then you run the danger of running low on cubes, particularly in the endgame. This will mean that you have to go back and complete your buildings, which is less efficient on getting rewards, in order to stay in the game. The rules don't actually state that you lose if you have no cubes, but you are then completely at the mercy of the other player. In practice, no reasonable player would ever run out of cubes, but it can limit your options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.