Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I received my City of the Ancients set a few days ago. I've never assembled minis before, nor have I assembled models of any sort.

Assuming that I'll get better at it as I go, in what order should I proceed? I'm thinking easiest figures first, hardest ones last (when I'll presumably be at peak efficiency, heh.)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphy
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Fore!
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashers were easy enough. Hardest was either the hungry dead or harbinger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Bludd
United States
Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magnus Maximus wrote:
Assuming that I'll get better at it as I go, in what order should I proceed? I'm thinking easiest figures first, hardest ones last (when I'll presumably be at peak efficiency, heh.)

First, I do it the exact opposite way you describe: I start out with the hardest models first and work my way to the easiest. My reasoning is that when I start I'm at maximum stamina and patience so I'd rather save the easier models (with, presumably, a larger margin of error) for when I'm fatigued and tired of the whole process. I liken it to certain types of weight training where, as the workout progresses, the number of reps stays constant but the amount of weight decreases to account for fatigue. YMMV.

Second, there's really nothing about the easier figures to prepare you for the annoyances of dealing with the little fiddly connections on the Stranglers, U.S. Marshal, and Gunslinger; which are the 3 hardest types of figures to assemble, IMO.

That being said, I believe I started by clipping the Void Spiders and Tentacles off their sprues for an instant sense of accomplishment before tackling the Heroes, Stranglers, Night Terrors, and Goliath, in that order.

The little arms and hats for the heroes are the worst of the lot, IMO, and even the Stranglers aren't too bad once you realize that you're going to have some gaps at the joints unless you take the time to trim the parts correctly. I didn't trim any of them because I didn't have a lot of mini assembly experience and I'd already had some issues when I tried to trim posts for the arms on the Hungry Dead in the other set. Make sure to dry fit multiple times before applying glue to try and figure out how they intended for the figures to be put together and you should be fine.

Also, use the opposite tentacles on the sprue for the Stranglers, not the ones that share a side with the body and arms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
jomurph86 wrote:

Every one of these is from the set he doesn't have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Llewellyn
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SabastianBludd wrote:
Also, use the opposite tentacles on the sprue for the Stranglers, not the ones that share a side with the body and arms.

Just take care on this point as my set were correct, there appears to have been two sprue runs. To ensure you have the correct tentacles for the right body look at the pictures in the Adventure book. One of the strangler has tail UP and tentacles UP, the other has his tail on the floor with his tentacles lower and more forward.

For the night terror and the Goliath I found it easier the part assemble them and put a clamp on them to squeeze the joints tighter together. I also used plastic cement type glue as this filled cracks better, I used more than needed and squeezed together then removed any excess with a damp cloth. As other have said dry joint until you can get the joints as close as possible before using any glue - and take your time and don't rush is the best piece of advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all for the helpful advice.

Last night I was feeling ambitious, so I began my adventure into the world of miniature assembly. Initially, my intentions were to just clip the void spiders, but a mania seized me, and I went ahead and tackled the tentacles and the heroes.

The tentacles were, of course, easy. Drunk on overconfidence, I proceeded to the heroes.

Yikes. The saloon girl was simple enough, but the gunslinger, yeesh. I'm assuming his left arm is supposed to be in contact with his shooting arm, but let's just say my gunslinger is an amputee. It's cool though; I'll just come up with an interesting back story involving a run in with a saber-wielding Turk or something.

I also had trouble gluing the Marshall's rifle on. The surface area I had to work with - possibly due to the clumsiness of my clipping - was approximately one sixteenth of a square millimeter. After allowing it to dry for several minutes, I proudly poked it with my finger, only to recoil in horror when the rifle swiveled ominously, as if the good Marshall's fist were on a ball joint of some sort (a mutation resulting from Darkstone, perhaps???)

Anyways, that was all I could handle for the night. If my ten month old permits, tonight I will start the stranglers.

Incidentally, my wife said the bandido looked like he was holding a refreshing Big Gulp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphy
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Fore!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
jomurph86 wrote:

Every one of these is from the set he doesn't have.

doh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, it's 3am and I just finished the stranglers. They actually weren't *too* bad. I had more trouble with some than others. The end is in sight - just have to do the terrors and the big guy now. I assume they'll be less frustrating since they're much larger.

Thanks again to all who took the time to offer advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.