Jim Millard
United States
Brainerd
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for good source material for background on forces used between 16-18 Oct in the area of "Chinese Farm" in the Sinai. I have a quite well-rendered historical mapboard for the extended area.

I have some background material from the Israeli viewpoint, but precious little from the Egyptian. Also an OOB for the 87th Rcn Bn from a former member.

Any help? I've already got books by Adan, Dunstan, O'Ballance, and Herzog.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bierschenk
msg tools
There's an extensive discussion of '73 Orders of Battle over at the discussion forum for the "Command Decision" miniatures rules:

http://testofbattle.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3427&postdays...

The OBs given there conform to the CD rules, in which 4/5 tanks equal one tank model, so there is some conversion involved to understand the OBs.

Still, you may find that discussion of interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Neukom
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Jim:

The answer kind of depends on what you want to do with the information that you are seeking. It sounds like you want to make a scenario for your mapboard . . . or something like that. My recommendation: use what you’ve got! The items you listed all sound like a great basis for designing scenarios for The Arab-Israeli Wars. Couple those works with Frank Chadwick’s 1973 Order of Battle information and you can build scenarios ’til the cows come home. Mr. Chadwick even tells you the tank types to use for the Israelis (and the Egyptians too, if you look carefully).

The scale of The Arab-Israeli Wars doesn’t really require that you know how many cooks are present in the Egyptian 14th Armored Brigade’s 3rd Battalion’s Support Company on the night of 15 October. If you were doing a scenario for . . . MechWar 2 -- possibly -- or Fire Team -- probably . . . you might want more detail than is available in the source material you have at hand. The unit depictions in The Arab-Israeli Wars are a lot more coarse than those games. Use that to your advantage. This is a situation where most players probably won’t ding you for a unit designation of “14 Bde (elm)” in your scenario. Use the original AIW scenarios as examples.

Again, my recommendation: use what you have available and get to work.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Millard
United States
Brainerd
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AIW - '73 "Chinese Farm" translation assistance.
Cross-posted from FacePlant:

Does anyone have any advice for translations, re: this site -

http://www.waronline.org/.../Arti.../IDF73/idf73_army.htm

...into English?

I am running into the usual translation idiosyncrasies, [yes, I am using Google translate] but in this instance, it is compounded. The document is in Russian, about Israeli units, and I get mistranslations of the same characters at times. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Millard
United States
Brainerd
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
waronline.org assistance?
mitservices wrote:

Does anyone have any advice for translations, re: this site -

http://www.waronline.org/.../Arti.../IDF73/idf73_army.htm

...into English?

I am running into the usual translation idiosyncrasies, [yes, I am using Google translate] but in this instance, it is compounded. The document is in Russian, about Israeli units, and I get mistranslations of the same characters at times. soblue

Anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.