Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this game! Really, really like it!
But, there is one reason that it doesn't hit my game table as often as it should. The rules.
They are just so hard to read and so much of them are spread out through the rulebook.
Is there a chance that anyone here has re-written the rules and just not submitted the file here?
I don't care if they look good. I just want to be able to spend more time playing the game than flipping through the rule book looking for answers.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Weller
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, I was so disappointed with the rule book this only got to the table once since the KS finished and that didn't even make a full game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is some talk of an expansion. Perhaps we'll get an updated rulebook then.
Like they did on myth 2.0.
I've also sent a message to another bgg user who previously said that he was rewriting the rules. If he has finished his work I'll ask him if its ok for me to post the rules here.
It would be so much fun to finally be able to play this game the way it was intended!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't Machina Arcana Rules Summary do the job? I sure hope the rewrite takes advantage of this summary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Weller
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what would be good is a play through turotial

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Bilic
Croatia
Varazdin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Agreed; the game has a lot of concepts, and the manual should do a better job at supplying the players with good, structured rules.
I am actually working on the way to split the manual into separate booklets.

(Inside the core box - 3 booklets):
One for the basic concepts, such as: movement, attacking, inventory, abilities...
One for the core box: how to play the core box of MA.
One for the example game: every round is dissected and explained.

(Inside every expansion box (KS exclusive box is not an expansion)):
One booklet related to the special rules and clarifications on how to play the expansion.

I know that this won't solve your current issues, and although there are a lot of posts and content lying around the BGG, site, youtube, it can be tedious to find the answer to your specific questions.
Until I create those revised booklets, and put them online, don't hesitate to contact me.
If you have a lot of questions, I actually don't mind to speak with people in real-time, and clarify as much as possible (send me a private message).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info Juraj!
I think I'll wait until the rulebooks are released. It's so much easier to have a rulebook to browse through instead of internet messages. Sometimes you just need the information right away.

Really looking forward to the next expansion!
Keep us posted on your progress!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Clark
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have said it elsewhere and I am still eager for new rules. I had/have such high hopes for this game. I know there is a real gem here if I could figure it out.

IndyCC wrote:
I've heard a number of things regarding reworked, reworded, and now slightly changed rules. Where/when will/is the new rule book posted?

I have a ton of hope for this game. It took me well over two days of reading, rereading rules, watching videos, etc to finally get to a mild understanding of how to play. After one play with my wife I can no longer get her to play due to how cumbersome an experience it was. I still have so much hope and desire for this game though. I am hoping with streamlined rules I may get more chances for this to hit the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Thomas
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to the next game/expansion. Thoroughly enjoyed MA, it gets a lot of play at my group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
I'm another who is in love with this game but also suffering a lot with the rules. In fact, not only the rules book but the FAQ, the Encyclopedia Arcana and all the discussion going on in the forum. There's simply a lot of stuff to read, organize and think about before being able to play this game right. And I think it deserves to be treated better as well as their lucky owners.

Although there are a few rule's summary posted here in bgg, they are far from being complete and only covers the basics (honestly they barely scratched the itch and need much improvement to be really helpful).

Any chance to contact the game designer and ask him for an editable copy (read: InDesign, PDF, doc, whatever) of the rules book so we can improve it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A pdf of the rules is available here on bgg. Just download it and start working!

Juraj has also invited people to help him work on the rules. Just write him a message and I'm sure he'll get back to you. He's very nice and forthcoming.
And don't forget to share your version with the rest of us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Bilic
Croatia
Varazdin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
As I stated previously that inside the core box I would like to see 3 booklets:
One for the basic concepts, such as: movement, attacking, inventory, abilities...
One for the core box: how to play the core box of MA.
One for the demonstration game.

What say you that I create a Wiki dedicated to MA (covering demonstration game would be an overkill imo)?
With moderators this could be a team effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavel Strybuk
Belarus
Gomel
Gomel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MA Wiki would be great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Péter Csontos
Hungary
Budaörs
Pest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asipu wrote:

Until I create those revised booklets, and put them online, don't hesitate to contact me.
If you have a lot of questions, I actually don't mind to speak with people in real-time, and clarify as much as possible (send me a private message).

All I wanna get is an answer to this problem: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1215785/bonus-scenario-endg... :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Bilic
Croatia
Varazdin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
The wiki page is now online: machinaarcana.wikidot.com
Join us to deliver the best possible clarifications, from which we will build the new manual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Not Guilty
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ulrich and Isa have started to work on reorganizing the manual

So this is from another post just to keep you guys updated. We are just started to rework the manual for the first edition of the game.

As we are doing this in our free time (weekends and in the evening), this might take some time to be finished. But hopefully we can present you something in the next few weeks ( or months).

Cheers

Ulrich + Isa
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for doing this!
I keep from playing the game just because of the manual. I don't want to "destroy" the game by playing it wrong and getting tired of it.
But this weekend we discussed how good the game is, and that we'd really like to play it more. As soon as the manual gets updated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Not Guilty
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are finished with rearranging the rules.

Next step will be to rework the rules and clarify all unclear things (we are using the questions from Forum, the FAQ and other sources).

At the moment the rules are just a plain *.doc file. So the last step will be to get them to a nicer look again.

So stay tuned!

Ulrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ulrich!
I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate the hard work you and the others are putting into this!
I hope Juraj is still working on the expansion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Not Guilty
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asipu wrote:
Hey Stefan!
I might go to Essen this year but only as a gamer, to just relax and enjoy the convention from a different perspective. Are you and your lovely girlfriend coming?

Oh yeah the Machine has started to turn, it's has been for some time already. Smart guys from our manual crew are helping me out with reconciling the rules for the core game and for the new expansion rules (looking at you Danny and Becki!).
Ulrich and Isa have started to work on reorganizing the manual - as before, they bring such positivity and effectiveness to the whole process, .. priceless.

My art department has started working on new illustrations. I might show you something soon.

A good quality content is a huge deal for me. I've been churning some ideas, texts, scenarios, so it's been productive in this aspect as well.

Aleksandra is helping me with redesigning the complete web. It's going to be brutal. devil

Ah look at me the thread was about Essen and here I am blabbering about everything. Ok ok I'll shut up for now.

No, please keep talking. [/q]

Asipu wrote:

If you insist, I must oblige!
Hmh let's see.. well I contacted a few 3d modelers. ^.^

So yes he is still working!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow!
Thanks! These are the best news I've heard in a very long time!
I'll just start saving up for the coming campaign!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.