20 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Small, portable, solo game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Al Hostage
msg tools
Hi,

I travel a lot between cities for work and am looking for a game that is easy to take with me and play solo. something that would easily fit into a sports bag and not take much room to play.

The only games I have are Last Night on Earth and The Castle Ravenloft. something similar would be cool or at least have a horror or fantasy theme.

Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several geeklists on this but one I remember is Games on a Narrow Boat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Errant Deeds
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... that's a tricky one. But if you have an iphone or ipad, there are many boardgame apps. Check out the Dice Tower boardgame breaksfast on youtube, Suzanne uploads regular reviews of ios boardgame apps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played the game but the first thing that came to mind straight away (purely as a small solo game) is Friday. No fantasy theme unfortunately but it is small and solo!

The contents for Elder Signcould easily be repackaged into a small container. It's a whole bunch of cards and some dice.

Edit: Also just remembered Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game takes up a little bit of tables space but the box is very small.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Hostage
msg tools
ErrantDeeds wrote:
Hmmm... that's a tricky one. But if you have an iphone or ipad, there are many boardgame apps. Check out the Dice Tower boardgame breaksfast on youtube, Suzanne uploads regular reviews of ios boardgame apps.

I have a few on my ipad, well, it's my girlfriend's but I have nicked it. I am thinking that's the other option.

Warhammer Quest might do the job.

I do like picking things up and moving them around though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
msg tools
For me Onirim (second edition) is the best option. Great and very variable card game that works even with very limited table space.

Friday is also great, but I wouldn't want to play it several times in a row.

Elder Sign, especially with the expansions, can really take a lot of space. But it is tons of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Hostage
msg tools
I've got the Elder Sign app...even though people seem to like the board game and I am a big fan of HPL, the app put me off for life!

Has anyone played both versions? Are they similar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
al_hostage wrote:
I've got the Elder Sign app...even though people seem to like the board game and I am a big fan of HPL, the app put me off for life!

Has anyone played both versions? Are they similar?

If you've got the app and are looking to play solo then I would stick with the app. When you're going solo you're probably better off going for variety! There are some differences with the app but the main reason to get the physical would be so it's easier to play with other people (in my opinion)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
msg tools
Rules for the app were streamlined, and it's easier to win solo when playing the app (at least on moderate difficulty levels). The board game offers more variety, and with the latest expansion it changes into a much more complex beast.

When I started with the app, I didn't know about the different characters and their special abilities and how important they were for winning the game. Each character plays differently, and to win you need a good knowledge of the avaiable cards and events. The game grew on me quickly, but if that doesn't appeal to you you won't like the board game either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Victory Point Games do a great job with solo games that fit into an A4 sized zipper bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Attica J
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
mb
Pandemic: The Cure is great solo and takes up almost no room (if you get rid of the box). I have played it solo roughly 30 times now and still enjoy it alot. Very recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragon's Ransom is shipping now!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Realms has a solo play option and the footprint is pretty small.

I also second Friday and Onirim. Both great solo games and both very small.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, since you have Last Night on Earth, what about Zombies!! It's not for everyone, but it also has solo variants available and box isn't very big (although the game when set up can have a larger footprint).

But it might be a good travel option with a bigger game feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam L
United Kingdom
Gravesend
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game

Challenging play. Interesting mechanics. Variety (with extra packs).
30-60 mins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Park
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first edition of Onirim is tiny!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gesine Stanienda
Ireland
Galway
Galway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Victory Point Games: Zulus on the Ramparts etc. have small ZIPLOCK versions of their games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huw
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you dont mind PnP

Inception: Solo card game

The Dungeon of D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huff wrote:
If you dont mind PnP

The Dungeon of D

I do, so I picked up it's sister Adventure of D which available at Print and Play Productions and I thought the game and the production was pretty good. Though I hear Dungeon of D is the best of game the lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryce kartchner
United States
Centerville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Lagoon: Land of Druids solo, and it is quite small. The solo variant is a bit weird, but I have enjoyed it. I actually enjoy the solo game better than playing with players as the game feels slightly unrefined and random when played with three or More. However, as a solo experience, it is relaxing, entertaining, and beautiful to look at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.