Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Disciple - Prayer of Peace rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ano Nym
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a recent game my healer got knocked out (by a ranged attack) after having cast Prayer of Peace and there was disagreement whether or not this also ends the effect of the prayer, since my figure is taken from the board and replaced by a token. Is this correct or would Prayer of Peace continue to prevent attacks from any place adjacent to my characters token?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vespino Robert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exact words:
Quote:
[Action]: Exhaust this card. While this card is exhausted, monsters cannot perform an attack while adjacent to you.

Unfortunately, since you are no longer on the map, no-one can be adjacent to you. Your hero token doesn't count as you for anything other than healing effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Vespinito wrote:
Exact words:
Quote:
[Action]: Exhaust this card. While this card is exhausted, monsters cannot perform an attack while adjacent to you.

Unfortunately, since you are no longer on the map, no-one can be adjacent to you. Your hero token doesn't count as you for anything other than healing effects.

Unfortunately for the heroes of course.
At least the Overlord has a way to circumvent that powerful skill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ano Nym
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vespinito wrote:
Exact words:
Quote:

Are you sure? Yes, the rules (on page 15) state that the hero token cannot be targeted by anything other than healing effects, but the rules don't state that the token no longer counts as me (respectively my character). Unlike a defeated familiar or a defeated monster which are indeed removed from the board and therefore no longer in play if they are defeated, a hero who is defeated is simply "knocked out" and its hero figure is replaced by its hero token. And while the hero token severely limited me (the hero token can only revive itself and cannot use skills or move) it is still me. Since I'm still in play and I've used/exhaused the "Prayer of Peace" card before being knocked out, its effect should still be in play (the card is still exhausted).

In short:
Even though its abilities are limited, the hero token still represents me, so I am still on the game board. And because of this the effect of Prayer of Peace still has a legal target.

Am I missing some important parts of the rules? If so, please tell me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norm Al
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Took a little bit of digging to find an example to address your question. In the FFG Sez thread (where questions that have been asked of FFG and answered are posted), there's one question that has an answer that addresses your question.

Here's the link for reference:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/863073/ffg-sez-thread-link-w...

Emphasis in bold
Sarcasmorator wrote:
Enduring the Elements requires all heroes to be in the Laboratory for the overlord to win. A hero token is not a hero, and standing up (or any other action) is not obligatory as far as I know. So what's to stop the heroes from simply refusing to allow this win condition?

Quote:
In spite of the fact that knocked-out heroes are not treated as if they are on the map, a hero cannot force a no-win condition by declining to stand up while he is on the Laboratory. If his hero token is there, it fulfills the same condition.

Thanks,
Justin Kemppainen
Creative Content Developer
Fantasy Flight Games

So if you're hero is not on the map, the effects of Prayer of Peace aren't in effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ano Nym
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, that definitely answers my question (although not the way I hoped ). Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.