Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Takacs
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, now that some people have received the first expansion, let's hear some comments on it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Comment: I just received a tracking notice that said it wouldn't be on the porch till NEXT week. Cheers to the lucky dogs that have a copy already!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
First comment: Box could take a mortar hit and it is full of pretty wooden bits. I won't get to play until Friday, sorry.

Oh, and i am really happy I bought the Valley Games dice, they rock!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Join our Berks Boardgamers group (Hamburg, Pa) via Facebook!
badge
Ah, the diabolical Dice … a word of caution; don't throw them when you're alone. The fiends lack loyalty, and their notion of nourishment is quite disturbing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting finger cramps from putting all these stickers on...again! I'm only about half finished too, I'll have to finish up tomorrow before I even get to the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my shipping notice today--should have the game in hand tomorrow!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lam
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in SoCal, so UPS is going to have my game to me tomorrow as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seattle here. Mine arrived today, yea!

Read the rules and a few of the scenario historical notes.

w00t!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still waiting for my indestructable box to wash ashore in Europe :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hutchinson
New Zealand
Waitakere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow ! I'm impressed GMT; my game arrived here in little and far away New Zealand today(21 November). I am used to having to wait sometime after the rest of the world before receiving overseas orders. An impressive range of (21)scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Got mine yesterday. Excited about the scenarios and some of the special scenario rules. Since we play with the blocks laying flat, I'll put stickers on just one side. Should be playing in half the time, right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
I read through the scenarios last night after receiving the game, and they look fantastic. I can't wait to play one of the Diadochi (sp?) battles that features, IIRC, 2 elephants on one side and 5 on the other. Yowza. I'm going to try to make time on Friday to sticker it all up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kenntak wrote:
Okay, now that some people have received the first expansion, let's hear some comments on it!

Already have on the page for the expansion.

Have just noticed that the box is about a 1/8" narrower than the first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
I recieved the 1st Expansion last week.
The quality is excellent.
I do appreciate the bright blue and tan blocks : much prettier than the Roman "grey" ones...
21 scenarios : wow!
I did appreciate that some of them blend both modules (with Romans fighting Greeks, for an example).
The dice included are better than the 1st edition's (but it is not an important issue for me).

The only negative point is the rulebook : I would have prefered a 2nd edition rulebook, rather than a rulebook that only lists the modifications brought by the second edition and the new units.
I would have prefered a rulebook with all the rules and a scenario booklet, rather than a partial rulebook...

Among the latter, there is no rule about war machines, even though one of them appears in one of the given scenarios.
Why is the extended note about camel units (which are nearly the same as light cavalry, except they defend with less dice than they attack), and nothing about war machines?
This is the second C&C:A product where they appear, and no hint about the way they work (excepted the game chart).
There is even a light war machine depicted in the charts, with a notice that they are not present in the module.
I find that sort of half-baked information not very usefull...

Now, I am globally happy with the product.
I played Gaugameles last day.
Alexander won, but Darius III didn't flee from the battlefield.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Takacs
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin, the second edition rules are posted on the GMT website if you need the rules regarding war machines. The rules are also summarized in the Truceless War scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kenntak wrote:
Robin, the second edition rules are posted on the GMT website if you need the rules regarding war machines. The rules are also summarized in the Truceless War scenarios.
I saw that. I simply regret that GMT didn't take the occasion to include a paper version in the extension...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually the camel units are more like medium cavalry (except they defend with less dice than attack.) And they are blue, not green.

They don't do range fire and don't retreat 4 hexes, so they are not much like light cavalry at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Keyes
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Where do you find info on damage dice from war machines in the rulebook? i do see it in the Truceless Wars portion, but i only see range info in the rules (p. 8)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Takacs
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the_grip wrote:
Where do you find info on damage dice from war machines in the rulebook? i do see it in the Truceless Wars portion, but i only see range info in the rules (p. 8)

That information is on the same page. Look under "5. Resolve Battle." War machines use the same amount of dice as other ranged units. Of course though, war machines cannot move and then fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
Actually the camel units are more like medium cavalry (except they defend with less dice than attack.) And they are blue, not green.

They don't do range fire and don't retreat 4 hexes, so they are not much like light cavalry at all.
You are right.
But why do their slight differences from MC recieve extended treatment, while War Machines recieve much less?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.