Si Barnes
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

I've prepared some new bases for the CG minis and was wondering what the best method for removing the minis from their pewter bases? I was going to just attack them with an X-acto knife (not unlike a frustrated Otis) but wanted to check in before making any massive errors.

Help!

Stinks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MoonSylver
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stinkatron5000 wrote:
Hi there,

I've prepared some new bases for the CG minis and was wondering what the best method for removing the minis from their pewter bases? I was going to just attack them with an X-acto knife (not unlike a frustrated Otis) but wanted to check in before making any massive errors.

Help!

Stinks

Never done it, but here is what appears (to my untrained eye) to be a good tutorial on how to do it. Don't know if you would need all of those tools per se, but the technique appears sound.

http://www.reapermini.com/Thecraft/31

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Si Barnes
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once again, thanks Moon!

You are officially awesome.

Stinks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melbourne
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used my sprue snips to remove the bases around the feet, then shaved the metal off the bottom with an X-Acto knife. Because Sherry's feet and legs were so small, I decided to leave her on her metal base. I instead, took material away from the plastic base and "sank" her base into it. For all the other figures, I drilled and pinned them to the platic bases using a paperclip cut to length.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Si Barnes
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael, I was really impressed with you work and decided I needed to give it a go. I've got some sprue clips so will have a go with them. I've already started painting but if I'm careful, it might just mean a bit of going over.

I've seen videos of people pinning. Is it necessary or would super glue do a reasonable job?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melbourne
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Necessary? Maybe not, but I don't trust just superglue, especially for metal figures. I always use a pin vise. Careful not to drill in at the wrong angle and pop out the ankle. If you leave Sherry on her base, make sure you remove just enough on the plastic base so she fits tight. I cut mine so that the slot was under her base so I had more surface area to glue. It took a little longer, but it made a solid contact. I probably should have used my rotary tool, but I was too lazy to walk downstairs to get it.

Haha, Now I see that it was you that messaged me the other day. I was going to send you my answer to that message. I'm glad I checked. I'd feel a little silly sending it twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melbourne
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also... You NEED to post pictures when you are finished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Si Barnes
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will do, Michael!

The thought of drilling into the tiny legs with my shaky hands really worries me. I've heard that Gorilla super glue is pretty strong stuff so will give that a try. At the moment I'm on with Otis (most basecoats done) but hope to get a couple more done tomorrow.

By the way, sorry for not replying back! I've had a couple of busy weeks and it totally slipped me.

Stinks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melbourne
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a great start. I'm looking forward to seeing them finished.

Honestly, I wasn't really fully impressed with these figures to start out with, but after re-basing, and painting, I must say they are some of my favorites now. They are just fun. I can't wait for the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Si Barnes
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick update! For some reason the Gorilla Super Glue I've tried to use has been a total failure and has not adhered Otis with any kind of stability (it's also damaged one of my bases). I'm thinking of trying epoxy instead as I've heard that it is very effective. To be honest, I don't think the glue would have been up to the job even with pinning.

Plan B is now Otis stood in a puddle of blood

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melbourne
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a bummer. The nice thing about that is you can do anything you want. If the pool of blood works, then he's standing in a pool of blood.

The joys of custom basing.

Good luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rogers
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed my Karen mini is a bit messed up (curved base, what looks like a melted foot, and a half-formed stumpy arm) anyone else have this or did Otis get to her first?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waggly Bean
United Kingdom
Walsall
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure my Karen has a curved base too. Not sure about a stump-arm but will have to check that!

If I couldn't bend the base back I was thinking I would just build up the basing material on the plastic base so that she stands on a bit of a hill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melbourne
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it seems the base for Karen is a little misshaped. Also, her arms are a little weird on mine, but not stumpy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
stinkatron5000 wrote:
Quick update! For some reason the Gorilla Super Glue I've tried to use has been a total failure and has not adhered Otis with any kind of stability (it's also damaged one of my bases). I'm thinking of trying epoxy instead as I've heard that it is very effective. To be honest, I don't think the glue would have been up to the job even with pinning.

Plan B is now Otis stood in a puddle of blood :D

The epoxy is unlikely to do much better given how small the feet on these figures are, and could get messy. Adhesives need surface area to adhere to - the more the better - and are bad at resisting shearing. Pinning helps both issues. The pin provides a stable point to keep the connection point from flexing or shearing, and by adding glue into the hole where the pin goes, you get more surface area. Any liquid superglue (not gel) should do the trick with pins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melbourne
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I decided rather than pin these ones for a customer, I'd place the bases into the plastic bases. I think this is better.
It has to be the slotted base because there is material used in the slot that you use as a foundation to set the metal on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waggly Bean
United Kingdom
Walsall
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goalie4hire wrote:

I decided rather than pin these ones for a customer, I'd place the bases into the plastic bases. I think this is better.

Interesting! What did you use to remove some of the plastic from the bases so that the metal sits flush?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melbourne
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wagglybean wrote:

Interesting! What did you use to remove some of the plastic from the bases so that the metal sits flush?

I used my knockoff Dremell tool. I used a straight bit, not a round one. Then cleaned up with X-Acto blade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.