Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » NSW (Sydney)

Subject: SPIEL '07 in Essen Germany rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: essen [+] convention [+] [View All]
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never been myself, but if you click this link, you'll actually get to see a list of 160 different threads where people discussed the Essen convention:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/Thommy8/tag/essen

One thread in particular that I think is worth checking out is Jon Power's incredibly thorough Essen FAQ, available at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/120409

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Synge
United Kingdom
NEWTON ABBOT
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Go get 'em, Floyd.
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the dates for next year known yet?

Gosh - it is a useful FAQ - I see the dates are already set as 18 to 21 October 2007.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nils Meissner
Scotland
Edinburgh
Lothians
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The fair will be from October 18th until October 21st in 2007.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bullions
England
Hayes
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went this year (Spiel 06). It was my first time & I rather enjoyed it. I was on my own this time, but I plan to go again next year but with two or three members of my games club. No problem for us as we are based in London, England so it is a short hop across the English Channel for us. Hats off to you if you are coming all the way from Oz.
Some advice: The fair is over the course of four days (Thursday thru Sunday). Thursday & Friday are the quietest days and the best for looking around and buying/playing. Saturday is horrendous and best avoided. Sunday afternoon is best for bargains as retailers start to reduce prices as the fair winds down.
Also worth checking out this podcast from "Board games with Scott" http://www.archive.org/download/bgws_essentalk/bgws_essental...
If you avoid the Saturday, do some sightseeing instead. Not much of that to be done in Essen (an industrial city rebuilt after WW2), but plenty of other interesting cities nearby. I went to Cologne (Koln) (about 30 miles south of Essen). You can get a train from Essen Hbf station. Lots to see in Cologne. The famous cathedral is a world heritage site. Plenty of museums as well, including one dedicated to chocolate !
If you plan to tour Europe as part of your trip, do that before Essen. Imagine having to transport all your Essen purchases around Europe !
Anyway, have a good trip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bullions
England
Hayes
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are very welcome. You can buy me a beer in Essen. sauron
(Not being a german speaker, I put your german sentence into Altavista's babelfish translator. The result was "Me to excuse I can buy sausage here" )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bullions
England
Hayes
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh dear, I have just feed that into babelfish as well. blushblushblush shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The FAQ will improve as I get round to it again. Anybody is welcome to make corrections or suggestions.

If you want a spreadsheet of Essen hotels with websites, emails and googlemap locations compared to the halls, drop me a message with your email and I'll pass it on.

Cheers,
Jon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.