Subject: Card value during a fight rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cédric Balmat
Switzerland
Geneva
Geneva
flag msg tools
I have a very basic (perhaps because of my poor english) question regarding card value.

During a fight, you choose to let the nature take its course, the rules say: "In this case, Agressive, Defensive ans Boost cards are worth their respective value, but are considered as Agressive o Defensive, depending on the need".

The card value is described as the larger number (p.7). Does that mean, a card with agressive 8, defensive 4 give a 8 value even if you defend ?

Or (as I think), if you defend you will use the defensive value even if it is the lowest.

The rules also say: "You can use the cards for the opposite purpose (Agressive for Defense and Defensive for Attack), but they only count as half the value rounded down".

It looks like an answer for my question, but using a card may be understood as using a card from your hand (and not drawing a card).

The lower number seems to be half the higher number (rounded down) on the card, is it to simplify the calculation ?

To sum up, if you defend and use an agressive card (either from your hand or from the "let the nature take its course" deck, can you simply use the lower value on the card ?

By the way, the game looks fantastic !!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Cedric!

If you Let Nature Take Its Course in Defense, you will use the Defensive number on the card.
If you Let Nature Take Its Course in an Attack, you will use the Aggressive value.

Using the higher number on a card is for making tests with terrain, hiding etc...

The lower number on a card is always half the lather number to make it easier to reference.

Thanks for your interest in the game!
All the best,
Cheers,
Ben.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cédric Balmat
Switzerland
Geneva
Geneva
flag msg tools
Thanks Ben !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries mate. If you have any other questions just let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ana
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I've these same questions, I'm still a bit confused. When letting nature take its course during combat: I am the defender and I draw a card with the higher number (10) on the attack, usually making this an Aggressive card value 10. This card now counts as my defense with the lower defense number (5) counting as its value?

As well, is the note that we can use a card as its opposite nature just a reminder of the lower value being halved already for us? Meaning we do not have to math it because you can use each non-event/boost card as defense or attack, looking only to the number for the intended use? I play the above as my defense card from my hand, it will be a defense 5 card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
G'day Ana,

Thanks for the question.
To make it not so convoluted, if you are on defense, whatever the card is that you draw, you use the Defensive number. If you were attacking, you use the Aggressive number.

The VALUE of a card is usually used when the type (aggressive or defensive) doesn't matter. Then you use the higher of the two numbers.

Addressing your second paragraph, yes that note is just to remind you. The cards already have those values represented on the card. You use the applicable number on the card for its designated purpose (defensive for defense and aggressive for attack.)

I hope that clears up the question and that you enjoy playing Dawn!
Thanks for picking up the game.

Cheers,
Ben. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ana
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Thank you for the response! I am reading the rulebook and plan on playing soon. I do have a couple of more questions but I want to finish the book and see if they are answered then I'll post any final questions I have. I'm a rules junkie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No problems Ana, feel free to check out the FAQ I've uploaded here as well if you need to clarify any of your questions. Otherwise, feel free to post here and I'm happy to help out.

Have fun!

Cheers,
Ben.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.