Combat Commander: Europe» Forums » Rules

Subject: LOS and hills rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I have understood this correctly, When checj for LOS between two different hexes in different hight level u cant se past a hex of the crest line?

If a level 0 trace a line up to a level 1 hill he can see into the hex where the crest line is. That mean as soon as the line crosses a crest line it cant cross a hex line, becouse that would make it loose LOS.
So the only way for a player to look down one or more levels he need to be in the hex with the hills crest line.

And this apply every time you increse the hills level.

So for example N7 on map 12 in CC:E have LOS to both K7, J6 and I6 right?

And same map

C6 have LOS to all these: C5, C3, F4, G4 (the last two I am not sure of becouse of the building).

But C6 does NOT have LOS to C4 and C2 due to the hex lines crosses after the crest line have been crost.

And H6 have LOS to H4 and G5, correct?

I hope I made my self clear =)

And thank you all for the helpful comments I get
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tolchock wrote:
If I have understood this correctly, When checj for LOS between two different hexes in different hight level u cant se past a hex of the crest line?

If a level 0 trace a line up to a level 1 hill he can see into the hex where the crest line is. That mean as soon as the line crosses a crest line it cant cross a hex line, becouse that would make it loose LOS.
So the only way for a player to look down one or more levels he need to be in the hex with the hills crest line.

And this apply every time you increse the hills level.

Correct. To see down, you have to be on the edge (crest line hex) of a hill. If you are farther back on the hill, there will not be LOS to lower units.

Quote:

So for example N7 on map 12 in CC:E have LOS to both K7, J6 and I6 right?

Correct.

Quote:

And same map

C6 have LOS to all these: C5, C3, F4, G4 (the last two I am not sure of becouse of the building).

Yes to C5 and C3 but NOT to F4 and G4 because of the building. Buildings always make a blind hex behind them from a higher level. If the building were not there, LOS would be clear.

Quote:

But C6 does NOT have LOS to C4 and C2 due to the hex lines crosses after the crest line have been crost.

Correct.

Quote:

And H6 have LOS to H4 and G5, correct?

Yes, both clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
Quote:

Yes to C5 and C3 but NOT to F4 and G4 because of the building. Buildings always make a blind hex behind them from a higher level. If the building were not there, LOS would be clear.

Hmm okey, but if we would change C6 to B6. Would B6 then have LOS to F4 and G4??
Little confused about how to handle buildings and forrest on a level between the to hexes making a LOS check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jackson

Gastonia,
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
B6 has LOS to both F4 and G4.

The hex B6 is not directly behind (adjacent to) the building in D5.

If the building was in C6 (and LOS passed through the building art depiction) then LOS from B6 to F4 and G4 would be blocked due to the C6 building creating a blind hex in B6 from F4 and G4.

If a target is adjacent to either woods or a building and the firer's LOS passes through the artwork in the woods or building hex then the target's hex is a blind hex so no LOS.

Focus on the target hex.
If any woods or building hex is adjacent to target hex AND the firer's LOS touches the woods/building artwork then no LOS.
Do not worry about any woods or building hex between the target and firer that is not adjacent to the target.

Hope that this makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Garramone
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Chad chose the more simple version of LOS like contour elevations on a wedding cake as opposed to some real complex LOS rules (but more "realistic") I've seen in other games. I'm happy with Combat Commander's considering the size and scope of the map; it works great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.