Pierre Paquet
Canada
Boischatel
Québec Province
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Another recruit attended our gaming night so we began on the easy Rust Belt map Carl already knew many roleplaying games and we introduce him to his first real boardgame. He understood the rules very fast and soon he was on his own. Rust belt seems the best choice with a newbie and also due to the fact that we were 6 players.

For setup Nathalie started in the east, Adrien in the west, Carl in the south, Martin in the center. Mario urbanized purple new city in the east and Pierre was able to connect this new city to Chicago since he had the engineer. On turn 2 Adrien urbanized Milwaukee with the yellow new city and Martin was able to connect it very easily. In the next round Martin had a break when he got the loco. action with his third place. Third round was also important for Nathalie when she put a black new city on Buffalo to deny Mario in making loop around the lake and she connected Toronto. Mario was still able to do 2 nice shipping of 4 income to take the lead. As usual this map wasn't easy, specially with 6 players and we had to take many shares at this stage of the game to continue our network or to have a good position during the betting round. Turn 5 was tough for Adrien when Martin stole ''his'' 2 yellow good he was relying on to do a comeback but his loco wasn't high enough and he arrived too late. The loco action was very popular and Martin and Pierre choose it in consecutive round to do 2 shipping of 5 or 6 income. Martin was the only players left with 2 nice shipping for the last round. Game was close at the end but Martin finaly won with these last deliveries

I've often tell that this map looks easy but I don't remember when a player could tell he had an easy time. This map is very tricky and interaction between player is great. Each turn is critical and it's difficult to try the low share strategy.

We've teach the game to many recruits in the last weeks and we hope they'll be back soon. We know Age of Steam is a heavy game to begin with but we think that new players should learn this great game which gave us many years of fun. Carl had a very good first game and he didn't need our advice for long.

Final scoring:
Martin: 57
Mario: 51
Pierre: 45
Carl: 39
Nathalie: 38
Adrien: 38

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome.

But, do you guys only play Age of Steam?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Paquet
Canada
Boischatel
Québec Province
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yes, Age of Steam is our favorite game but No it's not the only game we play. Our other favorites in desorder are: Stephenson's Rocket, Hacienda, Amun-Re, Lost Valley, Puerto Rico, Bridges of Shangri-La, Carolus Magnus, El Caballero, Clippers, Goa , Magna Grecia, Mexica, Carcassonne, Through the Desert, Caylus, Himalaya, Santiago. There many new games that are published each year but there are so few good one that we prefer the sure bet. There nothing we hate more than losing 2 hours to learn a new game then try to play it for 3 hours than realizing it's not working and that we lost our gaming night.

Most of the time 6 to 8 people are attending our gaming nights and we like to be around the same board. Sometimes we split the group in two but most of the time we try to stay together, we like the social side of boardgaming. As there not many good heavy games that allow 6 to 8 players we often come back with AoS. As I often say the replayability of AoS is so great and with the new maps that were published, this replayability is greater. We've play this game since many years and we have more and more fun every game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm jealous. I LOVE Age of Steam. Don't get to play it enough, though.

Keep the session reports coming. I love it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Paquet
Canada
Boischatel
Québec Province
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for your interest. I'll continue the reports and try to improve my english at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.