BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Offer me a very good suggestion please! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zsolt Lengyel
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
Sorry for asking you again, but i still looking for an outstanding game, can't decide. I would like to buy one or two games at the moment, but i will play with them at lest a ton of games.

In the game(s) im looking for the most:
-A hibrid between euro and ameri i don't mind, but the main criteria would be to be tactical and strategic.
-I like high player interaction. I mean interaction where i feel involved in the game (For example: Glory to Rome and RFTG with role selection, Power Grid with building the enemy city spot first, or in Carcassone to steal enemies castles or roads) i love such rare moments, i feel fizz in my blood. I think this is the main reason i play board games after all.
-3-4 players, with the game time of under 2 hours.
-I prefer medium / heavy games, don't suggest me light games please, due to my friend i have enough of them already.
-Price / Value, Replayability, Theme (artwork).

I write a list of games i love / like so far (From most of them you can read my short reviews if you are interested):
Glory to Rome (best game of all time), Innovation + Echoes, RFTG + TGS, Power Grid, Carcassone +1-2 exp., Taluva, Castles of Burgundy, Five Tribes, Impulse, Stone Age + exp, Catan, Saboteur, Tichu, Love Letter, Dominion, Condottiere (despite the rule helps the strongest).

And the games i hate / don't like:
Agricola (oh dear how i hate it), Puerto Rico, The New Era, Seasons, Castles of mad king ludwig, Elfenland, Finca, Fresco, Red November, Village, Wasabi, Hanabi.

Please suggest me more than one games if you can, im going to try out them in the near future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial 2030.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Discworld: Ankh-Morpork where the theme of the game is pretty much "scr*w they neighbour"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a few suggestions:

Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar Both trying to get the same tile, so yes, player interation.
Guildhall A card game. You do lots of things to bother your opponents.
Bruges Might be too light, but it's a Stefan Feld game, not a filler. I love it even more than Castles of Burgundy.
In the Year of the Dragon This one may be hard to find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Travis
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did an advanced search to look for highly rated games with a weight 2.5-3.5, min length 60 mins, max length 120 minutes, and I see a lot of your like/love games high in that list, so this seems a good start. Here's some that jump out based on your preferences:

Carson City - worker placement, but you can use your guns to take over a place where someone has placed a worker.

Lords of Waterdeep - worker placement, but you can send opponents on mandatory quests that waste their adventurers for low gain

Goa - auctions, resource management, very deep strategic game

Antike - civilization building and fighting game, direct battles

Vinci or Small World - choose a race, battle your neighbors, then go into decline and choose a new race with powers to build up again

Have fun trying some of them out, I would think these could click for your group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
Imperial. Among all your criteria, I think imperial covers them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
hitting your likes & preferred weight, avoiding your dislikes (don't like efficiency engines/dry economics), Ameri-Euro blend:
Merchants & Marauders
Cthulhu Wars
Alien Frontiers
Small World

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael W.
Germany
Böblingen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Chaos in the old World?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial is a great choice.

Kemet or Cyclades would be good hybrid game choices as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Christiansen
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe try Mage Knight Board Game. It is the very definition of a hybrid euro thematic, with the pvp rules in its very interactive, and with the blitz scenarios it can play pretty quick when you are used to it.

NOT for the ap prone however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
SomewhatDamaged wrote:
Maybe try Mage Knight Board Game. It is the very definition of a hybrid euro thematic, with the pvp rules in its very interactive, and with the blitz scenarios it can play pretty quick when you are used to it.

NOT for the ap prone however.

4 players probably won't fall into the 2 hour slot. It never did for us A great game if you have the time to play it though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zsolt Lengyel
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
I have been thinking to try out so far:
-Hansa Teutonica
-Keyflower
-Trajan
Fortunatelly you game some ideas already, i will try to play with most them. From my previous forum topics i tried to find a game with multi purpose cards / tableu builders with start as a crap, but end as powerfull aspect / comboing (as the first five on the like list my actual first five). Altough, i had to realize i already have the best ones of that genre. This is the main reason i opened for such territory.

I tried Small World once. I was not sure then if i like it or not, but after i played Risk in the past for a hundred times i think i will give it another shot.
Also, i already considered Mage Knight in the past, but didn't have a chance to try it so far, but i will ask for it in the near future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne r
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cities and Knights of Catan- I see that you still enjoy Settlers of Catan. I urge you to try out its expansion. This is a much more heavier game than the base game. Unfortunately, it does extend the play time about 2-3x. I've played this often and almost every game has fallen around 4 hours. Having said that, the trade off is a much deeper game where there are much more to do. There are city buildings to build, knights to build, and barbarians to repel. The game sort of encourages you to work together to repel the barbarians in that more often than not, you have to combine your knightly forces to be successful. The buildings give you additional material and there is much less chance of twiddling your thumb if the dice does not roll your way.

Star Trek Catan- This has become my favorite version of the base game. The rules are the same except now, you can take on the persona of famous Star Trek characters to pull of special abilities that bend the rules. This adds another layer of strategy in that you and your opponents are constantly fighting over personalitites that will help you towards your strategy.

Thurn and Taxis- This game plays solitaire but in my mind, it never felt that way. This is a route laying, racing game where you want to be the first to build a particular postal route because the next person to build the same route will end up with less amount of victory point and the next person after that even more so. The reason why it does not feel solitaire is because there are ways you can deny your opponents cards they need to complete a route. The group that I have played this with were very animated. There is a correlation between the amount of players and the ratio of strategy vs tactics. A 2 player game allows for a greater strategic play and consequently, this is the most solitaire feel to the game. In a 4 player game, the game skews to a very tactical game where you are constantly forced to work with a constantly changing tableau.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Medium-Heavy, mix of tactics and strategy, good player interaction, great components, and high replay value.

1. Bora Bora
2. Troyes
3. Luna
4. Tikal
5. Keyflower
6. Reef Encounter
7. Amun-Re
8. Ginkgopolis

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Coming from the left field:

Imperial Assault - One vs many campaign game with character progression. The imperial player is playing against 4 rebel heroes (from 6 available hero characters) during a campaign consisting of 11-14 missions (60-120 minutes per mission). (I recommend to play with 4 heroes even with less than 5 players.)

Has both strategy and tactics, with a dose of luck through dice (you can choose to either push your luck or play it safe when deciding how far away to shoot).

Imperial Assault is quite replayable due to having different heroes (with their own growing abilities throughout the campaign), different missions (30+ in the base game) coming in slightly different order, and different class decks for the imperial player. Even the same mission again will play differently due to that, and of course because of evolving strategies and tactics.

I have not been much of a fan of Star Wars, but I have loved this game (as the imperial player, I'm just starting as a rebel hero). IA has been the first game of this type for us, but a great find for our 5-player group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No Tigris & Euphrates yet?
A deep game, more interactive than most which you list.

I notice lack of area majority/area control games (one the most conflict oriented euro genres).
El Grande - the one that started it, still good. Not sure if in print.
Tammany Hall - said to be really good and seem back in stores.
Small World - the accessible one, more tactical than strategic, but if you like Condottiere... (hope you play.Condontierre with 1st or 2nd edition rules).
Chaos in the Old World World is my favorite of the genre, but theme puts some people off and it only works if you have exactly 4 people willing to play it repeatedly.

Imperial is a very unique game. A cross between stock market game and a sorta wargame (original version is said to be more tense than 2030). Clock at around 2 hours. If you think that's too long, check into Chicago Express, another stock market game where people can behave like dicks to one another. around 1 hour long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
HellslayeR wrote:
I have been thinking to try out so far:
-Hansa Teutonica
-Keyflower
-Trajan....

Keyflower is a tremendously good economic game with a touch of worker placement and infrastructure building. Every game DOES have some story to it because the available tiles and the color of the available workers makes a big difference to how every game feels.

BUT! There is no american-style storytelling to it. It's an economic euro make no mistake about it. It's also a very lenient, economic yes-game, as opposed to American Rails, Chicago Express and 18xx that are all very no-games, where you can really really screw people over.

If someone overbids you in Keyflower, you get to move your 'money' somewhere else later. There is a really interesting balance in that since overbidding in one place can immediately lose you something somewhere else without draining your opponent's economy further.

Imperial is an economic game that looks like a wargame in a time set at World War 1. It's a really good economic game, whose only downside from my point of view is that the amount of screwage and the effect of one player making bad decisions means that even if you've had a plan in your head for 10 minutes, you might have to chance it right as it becomes your turn. Imperial is incredibly opaque to me and it can take a large amount of repeated plays.

If you're just looking for economic games like some people suggested then Queen/Winsome have produced a range of train-based economic games with really REALLY simple rules and an incredible amount of bang-for-your-rules-buck.

American Rails is maybe the best introduction to 'real' economic games I can think of. It's ruthless, it's opaque, it's varied, it's simple, you'll lose but you will most likely be able to pinpoint exactly why you lost and you will improve next time. The turn order structure is really nice. The value of stocks change a lot over time. The initial auction will truly set the stage for the game. You WILL have to gang up on the leader from time to time, but actual king-making is rare. Quined games has released the game a few years ago as part of a series of Masterful games. Right after Netrunner, it's my favorite game and I believe the best gateway game to 'real' economic games.

Chicago Express is great for those who want to move beyond the economy and want to make money off of manipulating incentives. If you've got an iOS devise, get Wabash Cannonball for the iphone in the app store. It costs 1$ and it is an exact copy of Chicago express. It's a very inexpensive way to familiarize yourself with the game. Chicago Express was originally called Wabash Cannonball, hence the name...
The opaqueness of Chicago Express makes it a lifetime exercise to get good at I believe.

Chicago Express is for people who like to experience human interaction disguised as a pastime, American Rails is for people who like economic games with simple rules and a lot of crunch to them.

18xx is for true bastards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
HellslayeR wrote:
Sorry for asking you again, but i still looking for an outstanding game, can't decide. I would like to buy one or two games at the moment, but i will play with them at lest a ton of games.

In the game(s) im looking for the most:
-... the main criteria would be to be tactical and strategic.
-I like high player interaction...
-3-4 players, with the game time of under 2 hours.
-I prefer medium / heavy games...
-Price / Value, Replayability,...

I'm veering off of the course of general game recommendations because I feel that economic games in particular cover these exact bases.

Just to explain why I wrote such a long post about economic games without a preamble. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.