Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men» Forums » Strategy

Subject: A Powerful Nova Deck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alec Running
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey guys. I'm trying to change my local meta, so I designed a deck with a few cards that I don't think get a whole lot of attention. Let me know what you think, maybe with improvements?

Storm Weather Witch (1)
Mr. Fantastic-Brilliant Scientist (4)
Hawkeye-Robin Hood (4)
Wolverine-Formerly Weapon Ten (3)
Nova-The Human Rocket (4)
Cyclops-Field Leader (2)
Iceman-Too Cool For Words (1)
Professor X-Recruiting Young Mutants (1)

In order of cost:

Storm-Weather Witch
Storm is ultimately protection for Hawkeye, and for Nova. Her global changes the target of an action die to a character I choose using a mask in the process.

Mr. Fantastic-Brilliant Scientist
His global (Mask: Target creature must attack this turn)ensures that if a Loki-Gem Keeper comes up, or another creature similarly, I can take a small sum of damage in exchange of control of my deck again. That, and he can act as a setup for Hawkeye's "first strike".

Hawkeye-Robin Hood
He is a wonderful defender;a 4/2 first strike. Not to mention if he sides on energy, he can fuel the whole deck's main damage engine.

Wolverine-Formerly Weapon
Honestly, he's a distraction from the real threat at first, as well as an alternative win condition. The ability to swing for twelve is nothing to scoff at, and it keeps the pressure up.

Nova-The Human Rocket
This is the kingpin of the deck. His ability is if he takes damage during the attack phase, he does two damage to the opponent. Amazing for my attack step (With Magic Middle global) and as a blocker if the opponent swings out (Mr. Fantastic global). Field him using PXG as a ramp, switch those pesky sidekicks to lightnings (Iceman Global), and do 2 damage (3 if I take time to get Cyclops out) for each time I activate Magic missile.

Iceman-Too Cool For Words
Just need the global for maximum damage.

Professor X- Recruiting Young Mutants
Global.

I've been throwing Magic Missile (duh) and Swords of revealing light (to get an unlockable Wolverine) as basic action cards.

What do you guys think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Alec1429 wrote:
Hey guys. I'm trying to change my local meta, so I designed a deck with a few cards that I don't think get a whole lot of attention. Let me know what you think, maybe with improvements?

Storm Weather Witch (1)
Mr. Fantastic-Brilliant Scientist (4)
Hawkeye-Robin Hood (4)
Wolverine-Formerly Weapon Ten (3)
Nova-The Human Rocket (4)
Cyclops-Field Leader (2)
Iceman-Too Cool For Words (1)
Professor X-Recruiting Young Mutants (1)

In order of cost:

Storm-Weather Witch
Storm is ultimately protection for Hawkeye, and for Nova. Her global changes the target of an action die to a character I choose using a mask in the process.

Mr. Fantastic-Brilliant Scientist
His global (Mask: Target creature must attack this turn)ensures that if a Loki-Gem Keeper comes up, or another creature similarly, I can take a small sum of damage in exchange of control of my deck again. That, and he can act as a setup for Hawkeye's "first strike".

Hawkeye-Robin Hood
He is a wonderful defender;a 4/2 first strike. Not to mention if he sides on energy, he can fuel the whole deck's main damage engine.

Wolverine-Formerly Weapon
Honestly, he's a distraction from the real threat at first, as well as an alternative win condition. The ability to swing for twelve is nothing to scoff at, and it keeps the pressure up.

Nova-The Human Rocket
This is the kingpin of the deck. His ability is if he takes damage during the attack phase, he does two damage to the opponent. Amazing for my attack step (With Magic Middle global) and as a blocker if the opponent swings out (Mr. Fantastic global). Field him using PXG as a ramp, switch those pesky sidekicks to lightnings (Iceman Global), and do 2 damage (3 if I take time to get Cyclops out) for each time I activate Magic missile.

Iceman-Too Cool For Words
Just need the global for maximum damage.

Professor X- Recruiting Young Mutants
Global.

I've been throwing Magic Missile (duh) and Swords of revealing light (to get an unlockable Wolverine) as basic action cards.

What do you guys think?

I ran something similar at a recent gathering. The core is the same (PXG, Ice-man, Nova, Magic Missile). I also had a had a Hawkeye (3 cost) for cheap bolts, as well as the 2 cost Human Torch for the same reason.

I used Polymorph for my other basic action, IIRC, so I could rotate my Nova's up to take more damage if needed.

It works really well in practice. It can be devastating when Nova rolls energy 2-3 times, but I still managed to recover every time.

I switched to another deck after I got my opponent for three in a row because it was just free play and I wanted to see if it would work. I then went 1-3 for the rest of the night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Running
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I don't think I have that Human Torch, but I could see replacing my Storm with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.