Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*Or at least will augment it nicely.

My brain is already churning with dozens of possibilities. Imagining watching Heroes of Normandie dudes in 3d shooting it out on my tabletop makes me giggly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, board games are the future of board gaming. I can do without the overpriced technological fads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
Was this an OP delete?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we talking about this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. Supposed to release this year, less than $500, and no PC, phone, or wires needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzer wrote:
I can do without the overpriced technological fads.

Luckily, no one will force you to buy any of the technology or games that use it.

Unnecessarily antagonistic.

As for Hololens, I hope it works out. It could do a lot of cool things with boardgames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rullman
Sweden
Solberga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not as if augmented reality is a new thing though. But that does look cool. Won't work, of course. I'm waiting for HoloLens 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
captainraffi wrote:
Tzer wrote:
I can do without the overpriced technological fads.

Luckily, no one will force you to buy any of the technology or games that use it.

He didn't imply that anyone would? I mean, at least save the formulaic ripostes for situations where they're somewhat apposite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Its coming.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonatanrullman wrote:
It's not as if augmented reality is a new thing though. But that does look cool. Won't work, of course. I'm waiting for HoloLens 7.

Now, now. It's an odd numbered release by Microsoft. It'll be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gizensha wrote:
jonatanrullman wrote:

Now, now. It's an odd numbered release by Microsoft. It'll be fine.
A Microsoft release that's fine? That would be odd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandora Caitiff
United Kingdom
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make them tactile and we'll talk. For now I'll stick with my wooden meeples, my plastic dice, and my cardboard standees.

For me there's not much difference between little cgi dudes on a monitor or fighting on my coffee table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, but do not forget - what this can do is put stats and figures hovering over the top of all of the physical board elements we know and love. cool Also, it could even show you valid moves for those pieces in real time. The possibilities are endless. There can be any combination of real and virtual bits because it's not limited to what traditional VR goggles have done in the past. This is AR not VR.

Edit to add more thoughts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
Giant Fire Breathing Robot
badge
gfbrobot.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a hard time believing this is the "future" of board gaming. Mostly because what it might provide (units moving, soundtrack, etc.) is already done by video games.

Sure we might see some board games that use the technology, like the Star Wars picture above, but I think that will be mostly gimmicky. It might even be popular briefly, but it'll go the way of 3DTV.

But, hey, maybe I'll be wrong. That would be cool, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This technology always leads to near global destruction, as evidenced by Yu-Gi-Oh! Trading Card Game.

"Now the monsters are real!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks cool! I don't know that I'd ever need it though. I love to spruce the look of my games up and especially my miniatures games with extra terrain pieces and such, but, if I have to start plugging things in to my computer or console, I'm far more likely just gonna play a videogame at that point. But that's just me.

Does look cool though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carr
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer my boardgames not to use even a single volt of current.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
completely do-able. Adjust where the figure on your screen will sit on your table. Should be obvious when your hand makes a grabbing motion and when you let go. make you board size to fit your table. When you can mix your real environment with virtual? how can that not surpass regular video game versions of board games etc. All of us with a game pad in our hands steering our car through a road race track set out on the table between us? too much fun. As much as we are glued to the screen. These glasses could get a couple hours use a day easy. One of my examples was a video game but It shows what is coming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
raintree wrote:

A little bit of my physics side just died with this statement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mi_de wrote:
raintree wrote:

A little bit of my physics side just died with this statement.

What if we amped it up? I'm sure the idea has potential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Cormode
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dostradamas wrote:

Its coming.....

Pssst...Let the Wookie win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm skeptical. In my mind, the increasing popularity of boardgames in the past few years comes partly from people being fed up with technology invading every little inch of their lives. It's a good feeling to get back to having only stuff made out of wood and paper, without needing to worry about having enough power, the latest software update or whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Freeman
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't wait to see what this would be like for a future version of The Mushroom Eaters!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will sometimes use apps to improve a board game experience (randomisers or score trackers) however, I don't really want board games that require this tech, so there's no reason for publishers to develop 'non-essential' software. If the setup is so simple that people 'can' develop their own apps for this tech. That would be interesting. But only in the last couple of years has the indie app market become polished enough to interest me, so I imagine it will be a long time before this tech enters my board gaming world.

All that aside, health/line-of-sight tracking on dungeon crawlers would be quite useful in this tech.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trantor42 wrote:
I'm skeptical. In my mind, the increasing popularity of boardgames in the past few years comes partly from people being fed up with technology invading every little inch of their lives. It's a good feeling to get back to having only stuff made out of wood and paper, without needing to worry about having enough power, the latest software update or whatever.
People play games for fun, not to avoid technology. And when technology is integrated well, you quickly forget it's there and just focus on the game. Listening to a mp3 soundtrack in Escape and using the App to test potions in Alchemist worked well for our group. After the initial novelty factor, we just stopped thinking about it and had fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.