Popular Tags: [View All]
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Throwing cards is exactly what Gambit does, so this should fit him perfectly.

I had him with the nature keyword for a while, but it didn't quite gel

I apologized to Dan for failing him.

GAMBIT
Affiliation: X-Men

Common 1

“Roguish Hero”
Instinct
2 recruit
4 cost

Nature – While you control this nature, whenever you place a card on your deck, reveal the top card of your deck. If it’s an X-Men Hero, draw it.

Common 2

“Explosive Cards”
Ranged
No printed values
1 cost

Thrown Artifact – When you throw this, throw another card from your hand. If you do, you get +1 attack, or +2 attack if the card thrown from your hand was an X-Men Hero.

If this card is thrown from your hand, you get +1 attack.

Uncommon

“Stick Fighting”
Strength
2 Attack
3 cost

Reveal the top card of your deck. You may discard it.

(Instinct) Draw a card.

Rare

“Royal Flush”
Ranged
3+ attack
7 cost

Throw all the cards in your hand, then shuffle your deck.

You get +1 attack for each card thrown.

(X-Men): You get an additional +1 attack for each X-Men Hero thrown.

---

Whatcha think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Design Challenge: Gambit (thrown weapon + nature)
I don't get the first common -- put a card on your deck? Wouldn't you just be putting the same card down that you draw?

For the second common, are you "throwing" two cards? Or are you just putting the second card under the deck? I'm confused.

Stick fighting looks OK.

The rare seems to betray the theme of deck manipulation by forcing a shuffle. Obviously you'd have to do this last, but I wonder if you could do something a little more thematically in-sync.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedaninblack wrote:
I don't get the first common -- put a card on your deck? Wouldn't you just be putting the same card down that you draw?

The point of the first card would be to give you a good use for the cards that let you place cards on top of your deck; so if there were an x-men hero with wallcrawl then you would purchase that hero, then Roguish Hero would allow you to draw that card because you placed it on top of your deck. Or even with the other Gambit cards that let you manipulate the top cards of your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BertMcCloud wrote:
thedaninblack wrote:

The point of the first card would be to give you a good use for the cards that let you place cards on top of your deck; so if there were an x-men hero with wallcrawl then you would purchase that hero, then Roguish Hero would allow you to draw that card because you placed it on top of your deck. Or even with the other Gambit cards that let you manipulate the top cards of your deck.

Yeah, but I didn't see any Gambit cards here that could do that. Not sure if it makes sense on its own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedaninblack wrote:
Yeah, but I didn't see any Gambit cards here that could do that. Not sure if it makes sense on its own.

Fair point, it would be better if it interacted with at least 1 of it's own cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ROGUISH HERO

I see what you're saying about putting a card on top of the deck being obviously the same one. I'll try to link it to other cards as you both suggested.

However, I was referencing the "throwing" of cards effectively being cards put into your deck, just at the bottom instead of top.

So, while you're throwing cards, you can draw the top with the nature, speeding the cycling.

EXPLOSIVE CARDS

This a thrown artifact version of discard a card to play this card.

First step, play this card in front of you.

Second step, throw this card and any other card in your hand, get +1 attack.

If the second card you threw was an X-Men, get +2 attack instead.

If the second card you threw happened to be Explosive Cards, then its second text applies and you get +3 attack instead.

Basically, you can throw anything for a poor one attack, but if you throw the right stuff, you get more out of it.

You can help me out suss the right wording.

ROYAL FLUSH

I put the shuffle part to prevent an infinite combo. I can't tell you if there's one, but I know my nephew once played the base Gambit wrong and was drawing his whole deck constantly, so I've been afraid of such loops since then.

I modeled it after Green Goblin's rare which lets you get back the cards you just played, but I still felt like it could get out of hand.

If you still don't think so, I'll remove the shuffle portion.

---

Any other suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ROGUISH HERO

I guess I can make the nature "Whenever you throw a card..." or add an effect to stick fighting about placing a card on top of your deck.

Whatcha think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okami31 wrote:
ROGUISH HERO

I guess I can make the nature "Whenever you throw a card..." or add an effect to stick fighting about placing a card on top of your deck.

Whatcha think?

Why don't you just make it "... whenever you place a card on the bottom your deck, reveal the top card of your deck..."?

Either way, could you trigger an infinite loop with this? Like when there are no cards left in your draw pile. You need to be careful with "Whenevers".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
okami31 wrote:
ROGUISH HERO

Whatcha think?

Why don't you just make it "... whenever you place a card on the bottom your deck, reveal the top card of your deck..."?

Either way, could you trigger an infinite loop with this? Like when there are no cards left in your draw pile. You need to be careful with "Whenevers".

Hmmm...you're right...whenever effects are usually tied to defeating villains or KOing cards, not drawing or placing stuff on the deck unless it's Scarlet Spider's rare...

I need to change it then...suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about for the common 1:

A ROGUE AT HEART
Instinct
2 Recruit
3 Cost

If a card effect causes this card to be discarded or thrown, you may draw a card.

This way it helps recover from throwing multiple cards, plus even if somebody messes with Gambit's hand, he'll always pull another card with his sleight of hand.

It also helps the rare as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okami31 wrote:
DarthEd wrote:
okami31 wrote:
ROGUISH HERO

Whatcha think?

Hmmm...you're right...whenever effects are usually tied to defeating villains or KOing cards, not drawing or placing stuff on the deck unless it's Scarlet Spider's rare...

I suppose you could put a "You may only use this ability up to two (three? four?) times this turn" on there. Invisible Woman's "Unseen Rescue" has a similar qualification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
okami31 wrote:
DarthEd wrote:
okami31 wrote:
ROGUISH HERO

Whatcha think?

I suppose you could put a "You may only use this ability up to two (three? four?) times this turn" on there. Invisible Woman's "Unseen Rescue" has a similar qualification.

What about the revision above?

Sorry dan for removing the nature...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
okami31 wrote:
DarthEd wrote:
okami31 wrote:
DarthEd wrote:
okami31 wrote:
ROGUISH HERO

Whatcha think?

What about the revision above?

Sorry dan for removing the nature...

Zero offense taken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambit is now prettified!

I allowed some minor stacking post-shuffling to the rare. I'm still wary of it, but we'll see how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
Added to the Marvel master Database...

I got his first appearance in my limited comic collection that I kept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RangerRob24 wrote:
Added to the Marvel master Database...

I got his first appearance in my limited comic collection that I kept.

Nice!

I don't have anything as valuable since I started collecting around Civil War...so I have Cap's Death in Captain America and the complete DC's 52. I guess those would be my crown jewels.

Nowadays, I just buy them from comixology to save physical space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
I only kept Uncanny X-men 200 - 300, X-Men 1-12, Classic X-Men 1-50, Couple of Spawn and Spiderman from the McFarland era...

80's and 90's collector
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.