Hide
4 Posts

Tsuro» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Tsuro "Oh so it's kinda like shoots and ladders" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Noah Marcus
msg tools

This was a pretty darn good time. For a group of busy university students in the middle of finals this was a quick and amusing way to spend a moment of free time. The art is cool and the tile stack feels very much like somewhere between Mahjong and Betrayal at House on the Hill.
This game can be played with up to 8 players which honestly surprises me. I don't understand completely understand if it would still be fun with that many players. We played with four people and found a relatively casual pace.

The game starts with a pretty arbitrary setup with plenty of options for where you want to position your starter piece. I've come to realize that it is in your best interest to place your piece as far from the others as possible. This reduces the chance of them potentially guiding you to an end of the path that is off the board. No matter what if your tile connects to a line you must travel to the end of it.
In the early moves many of us where randomly placing tiles for our token to ravel through. Mostly we were too busy marveling at the fun of moving our piece and the different cleverly connecting tile paths that we did not have much strategy. I managed to find a cost little spot in the bottom right of the board and managed to avoid most of the conflict surrounding moving each others pieces.

Eventually as the tile stack ran out and we had fewer than 3 tiles to chose from the decision became much harder. The turns became longer aswell. The board inevitably filled up and soon i found myself in the situation were there where no more tiles to place without leading myself, and a neighboring piece, off the board.

In the end the last two players left had managed to tie as well and we were left with an unsatisfactory ending. Tsuro was very fun to play but the ending and the beginning ended up being the two least fun parts of the game. I am sure with a better awareness of the tile path options a player could make much more intentional moves in the first few turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mavis
England
A Fine City
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarcusDnoah wrote:
I've come to realize that it is in your best interest to place your piece as far from the others as possible.

Not if you are the last player to place their stone. Starting on the edge of a square adjacent to another player can narrow their tile placement options. Also avoid placing your stone on a starting point on or near a corner as any players still to place could aggressively hem you in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzanna
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like fun. I do like this game. I haven't bought it, because I saw the Tsuro of the Seas episode of Tabletop, and since it plays both regular Tsuro or Tsuro of the Seas, I thought maybe I should get that instead. In the end, I guess sloth got me, because I've bought neither.

Pro-tip: I love when people add pictures, and I really wish someone had told me this sooner. To integrate your pictures and text, put in [<nospace>floatleft] before your image, and close the tag after the image with [<nospace>/floatleft] (take out the <nospace>. You can also use center or floatright. Sometimes you have to use Preview to play with the spacing some, but it can make things look even better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
asmyr42 wrote:
Sounds like fun. I do like this game. I haven't bought it, because I saw the Tsuro of the Seas episode of Tabletop, and since it plays both regular Tsuro or Tsuro of the Seas, I thought maybe I should get that instead. In the end, I guess sloth got me, because I've bought neither.

I picked up Tsuro of the Seas because of both episodes of TableTop. I went for Tsuro of the Seas because of the ability to play the original rules. My friends and I started by playing the original rules. But since we added in the dragons we have not played the original rules. Though 8 players with the dragons might be a bit much, the board gets crowded fast as is.

This is usually our finisher game for the night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.