GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,433 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Polis: Fight for the Hegemony» Forums » Rules

Subject: Lambda and Owl token use? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barak L.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I was learning the rules to the game, and the rule book did not mention the use of these 2 tokens. They are not even listed in the component list.

I was thinking it could help keep track of the remaining actions each player has each turn..

Any one know the use for them??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no inherent use - they are simply decoration. I guess that there was some space left on the puch board...

I use them to signal when I pass, but that is basically all I do with them.

You can use them to ease the decision of who plays which side, of course...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
You can use them to ease the decision of who plays which side, of course...

I've found them useful for that exact same purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiggo Morrison
United Kingdom
Bridgnorth
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I often have to leave a game half way through. I keep the token turned up for the player who's turn it is next (and the other one face down). A handy reminder!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vez A
Germany
Kiel
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb

Oh please don't tell me the German version of the game does not come with these counters. I cannot find mine ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it didn't.
As they served no function in the game (at least not one described in the rules), and were basically nothing more than just a bit of decoration on an otherwise empty tile, the German publisher did not include them.

And I never really thought about them that much until now, so I never mentioned them to Pegasus.
Alas, I never had anything to do with the German production of the game, other than that they used my translation and polished it a bit (on their own, they really just USED it). But they asked for permission...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vez A
Germany
Kiel
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Dumon wrote:

As they served no function in the game ... the German publisher did not include them.

The Germans, always the ones to have the eye on functionality, huh!

Thanks for clarifying that, Dumon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Pisarz, Jr.
United States
Glen Allen
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The guys in my gaming group who enjoy playing are indifferent as to which side to play so in some cases we use them for a random draw to determine sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omer Hertz
Israel
Kfar Vradim
Galil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: bemljj (the OP) and I played our first game of Polis a couple of days ago (I think he intends to publish a session report, by the way, so keep an eye out if you're interested in learning how I destroyed him ) and we had used the tokens as per your suggestions -

1. We randomised the sides by flipping the tokens and picking one each.
2. We put the tokens on the player boards (on the symbol at the top right) and whenever someone took his first action, he flipped his token to the other side (and flipped back after taking the second action).
3. Whenever someone passed, he put his token on the matching symbol on the board (where your merchant ships start when you build them) to signify he had no more turns.

None of those uses was essential by any means, but we found it helpful, especially for counting actions whenever someone picked one that takes a bit more time (like trading or tribute) - we tended to forget whether we already took one or not early on, before deciding to use the tokens thus.

Anyway, from both bemljj and myself - thanks!
- Omer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.