Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CLARENCE TAN
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Hey all,

For this game and the expansion, I thought it would be great if one cube could be designated as a scout army. This would allow 1 free move after armies have been set up. I suppose a sticker or something could do it, but really just having the rule that:
"After setting up armies, each player may use 1 movement point on any of their armies". I suppose this would go in turn order.

This allows for a little more movement and spreading out across the map (always a good thing) and also reduces the "my lone army on another continent has been destroyed before it's my turn!" situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, the possibility of losing an army on the first turn is one of the neat parts of the game. There will be plenty of games in which there isn't a Destroy Army card out there. When it is, it's a really interesting decision. Is it worth skipping other cards to build a city to prevent getting destroyed? Is paying extra worth making sure you take the card instead of someone else?
I haven't found the loss of that one cube to be particularly detrimental for a couple of reasons. First, you become less of a threat, and that perception can be valuable. Second, it's early enough in the game that you can just shift your strategy to focus on different islands.
If you can't use the Destroy Army action on the first turn, it takes away most of the value of those cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CLARENCE TAN
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Hellu,

you raise a good point about the idea of being ignored because of being a perceived smaller threat, which is a consolation to having your lone army being knocked off.

I think overall the variety of choices and quality are the same if not better however. If someone really wants to pursue someone else who is more experienced, say, they could move after them, then use their destroy cards. Also, no matter who moves away, everyone only having one move point makes sure that destroy cards are not obsolete (you can still destroy someone in the first turn to set them back, if you so chose). The possibility of being taken out is still available and something to consider.
Furthermore, not everyone might move their lone army depending on the set up of things. Maybe getting a step closer to the water's edge on the starting continent is more useful, etc.
Finally, especially in larger games where there's less turns, I think it would lead to a little greater variety because people have that extra little boost of movement to help them move about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.