Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Millennium Blades» Forums » Variants

Subject: Potential tournament Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Pace
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Upon release I intend to attempt to play a variant that will make the tournaments play out a bit more like a CCG. Following are the guidelines.

- When playing a tournament, players must enter with decks of 20 cards.
- the player will then sleeve each of their 20 cards in card sleeves with no visibility to the card's back (hence giving no information about which cards are in hand to the opponent or which card may be drawn next)
- each player draws 3 cards from their randomized (shuffled) decks to begin the game
- each player draws a card at the beginning of their turn and chooses one card to play each turn until their tableau is filled (they still have a single action they may complete each turn as well)

I am concerned that this may be in contrast to the spirit of the game and if so I would not wish to pursue it, but my reasoning comes from the spirit of what the individual cards are supposed to represent in game. Each card played is supposed to only be a rare or better card to streamline the experience of not having to play the commons and uncommons in each deck. However, with the current rules, everybody has access to each of these high level cards every game. In a real competitive CCG tournament, most players get to draw maybe 20% of their entire deck before a match is over, many times the difference between winning and losing an entire tournament hinges upon whether a certain high level card is drawn in-match or not. This is not simulated in a game where every card is available to a player at the start of each match. Having an actual deck to draw from should bring back this true to life feeling, but I also do not want to lose the true spirit of MB in attempting such a format.

I also intend to play test it a bit to see if more Millennium Bucks should be given to the players at the beginning of the game to get a better assortment of 20 cards into the deck. I do not feel that the players should receive more buy markers as they will then be forced to form their decks out of blind packs instead.

It is anticipated that this variant will simulate the evolution of the decks as they progress through the three tournament levels, showing tweaking or scrapping of strategies.

Any thoughts?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corporal Joe Bauers
United States
flag msg tools
No matter games or life
badge
Honesty over everything
Avatar
mbmbmb
Uhdrill wrote:
I am concerned that this may be in contrast to the spirit of the game and if so I would not wish to pursue it, but my reasoning comes from the spirit of what the individual cards are supposed to represent in game.
....
Any thoughts?

Why would you have that concern?

Once you buy the game it is yours, you're not inextricably bound by the rulebook and you can explore any and all variants to see if you enjoy them.

Rarity and differing power betwixt cards doesn't have to be a core mechanic in a CCG either, it's a money-making thing.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Symmetrical Docking wrote:
Uhdrill wrote:
I am concerned that this may be in contrast to the spirit of the game and if so I would not wish to pursue it, but my reasoning comes from the spirit of what the individual cards are supposed to represent in game.
....
Any thoughts?

Why would you have that concern?

Once you buy the game it is yours, you're not inextricably bound by the rulebook and you can explore any and all variants to see if you enjoy them.

Rarity and differing power betwixt cards doesn't have to be a core mechanic in a CCG either, it's a money-making thing.


I completely agree - I hereby grant you the authority to make all the cool fan variants you want, and bestow upon you the responsibility for letting us at Level 99 Games know how your tournaments go!
12 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thinking about your variant I have one concern, in normal play you are limited to one copy of a single card. would you continue that limit, or expand it, maybe 2 copies of a card?

also length of the game may be an issue with all the sleeving and unsleeving
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I bet there's a fun variant along those lines, and I bet it's harder to find than it looks. If your playtests go well a lot of people will be excited to read about it!

That said, over the course of a thousand years of play, you have to expect a little power creep. Getting to play all your bombs in every tournament may be untrue to the games being paid tribute, but it's not out of keeping with the game's story.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
I bet there's a fun variant along those lines, and I bet it's harder to find than it looks. If your playtests go well a lot of people will be excited to read about it!

That said, over the course of a thousand years of play, you have to expect a little power creep. Getting to play all your bombs in every tournament may be untrue to the games being paid tribute, but it's not out of keeping with the game's story.


and you don't play all of them. you are allowed 8 singles and you only play 6
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also just remembered, the tournament phase is designed to represent an entire tournament, not a single game. so if you look at it as each card played is a card that won a particular round of the tournament it kinda makes more sense.

still interested in this variant though sounds fun.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pace
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
I also just remembered, the tournament phase is designed to represent an entire tournament, not a single game. so if you look at it as each card played is a card that won a particular round of the tournament it kinda makes more sense.


Very good point! Thanks
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhdrill wrote:
Upon release I intend to attempt to play a variant that will make the tournaments play out a bit more like a CCG. Following are the guidelines.

- When playing a tournament, players must enter with decks of 20 cards.
- the player will then sleeve each of their 20 cards in card sleeves with no visibility to the card's back (hence giving no information about which cards are in hand to the opponent or which card may be drawn next)
- each player draws 3 cards from their randomized (shuffled) decks to begin the game
- each player draws a card at the beginning of their turn and chooses one card to play each turn until their tableau is filled (they still have a single action they may complete each turn as well)

I am concerned that this may be in contrast to the spirit of the game and if so I would not wish to pursue it, but my reasoning comes from the spirit of what the individual cards are supposed to represent in game. Each card played is supposed to only be a rare or better card to streamline the experience of not having to play the commons and uncommons in each deck. However, with the current rules, everybody has access to each of these high level cards every game. In a real competitive CCG tournament, most players get to draw maybe 20% of their entire deck before a match is over, many times the difference between winning and losing an entire tournament hinges upon whether a certain high level card is drawn in-match or not. This is not simulated in a game where every card is available to a player at the start of each match. Having an actual deck to draw from should bring back this true to life feeling, but I also do not want to lose the true spirit of MB in attempting such a format.

I also intend to play test it a bit to see if more Millennium Bucks should be given to the players at the beginning of the game to get a better assortment of 20 cards into the deck. I do not feel that the players should receive more buy markers as they will then be forced to form their decks out of blind packs instead.

It is anticipated that this variant will simulate the evolution of the decks as they progress through the three tournament levels, showing tweaking or scrapping of strategies.

Any thoughts?


This actually reminds me a lot of Millennium Blades v7 (we're currently on v24, which is our release version)

I'm curious to hear how it works for you. Perhaps you'll take things in a different direction than I did
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United States
Fremont
CA
flag msg tools
badge
For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyokai wrote:
This actually reminds me a lot of Millennium Blades v7 (we're currently on v24, which is our release version)

I'm curious to hear how it works for you. Perhaps you'll take things in a different direction than I did


Were you going to include sleeves in this version, or did they have the same back at that point?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They didn't have the same back. Instead, the person to your left shuffled your deck and the person to your right cut it.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.