Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Why were we not in the movie?
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe there's any game benefit to having the Keyword "Scout" at the present. Did I miss something? I have to assume it will be given some usefulness in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think some items in town may only be bought by scouts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Beorndog wrote:
I don't believe there's any game benefit to having the Keyword "Scout" at the present. Did I miss something? I have to assume it will be given some usefulness in the future.

FFP love their keywords - no doubt it will have some use, somewhere, at some point in time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Jelley wrote:

The Indian Scout gets restricted items in Town with his Tribal keyword (And by not having Holy in the case of Conversion)

There aren't any Requires Scout items yet and I don't recall it being useful in any Encounter.

Which means the Scout's Hat is only useful fore the move bonus currently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Paddirn's Hexcrawl could/should make use of that keyword given that travel is a large portion of his mod. I think overworld stuff (if FFP ever does it) would make a lot more interesting use of the keywords.

I wish there were some other system for working with the keyword. Once you buy a Rider's Hat you can all of a sudden use the Tribal Knife, Indian Hatchet, and the Harmonica. In a way, I kind of like it since it allows you to "stereotype" your character. I mean to be a Traveller, it makes sense that you have to adopt the lifestyle of rough clothes and demeanor.

I would prefer it if all keywords were handled like Holy. I think the Jargono Village does something similar with Tribal. Hmmmmm... I really think the keywords should be a little more beneficial and add something to the game. It would be cool if the outcome of quests, or in the Hexcrawl traveling enough would allow you to acquire a new keyword.

Reach 5 landmarks in hexcrawl: gain: keyword traveler
Explore Targa and Jargono a total of 3 times:gain keyword Scout
Tribal and Holy are already in place. Not sure if all keywords should give a bonus to something. It kind of makes sense that you can only gain one new keyword at a time and maybe have to hold onto it for a level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I remember that was a point someone had brought up during development of HexCrawl to make the keywords more meaningful apart from just affecting what equipment you could have. I'll be adding some additional Overland actions as I develop expanding out HexCrawl and certainly I could see adding keyword-specific abilities or actions to the mix. Some keywords seem specifically tied to overland map travel, but I'm not sure what all some of the other keywords could bring to the mix:

Frontier - increased Healing while traveling with posse?
Scout - while searching overland hexes, ability to discard & redraw results (similar to his basic ability)
Traveler - ability to move farther on the overland map
Performer - setup a performance and make money?
Showman - ? What the hell would a gunslinger do other than get into duels?
Law - Police an area for outlaws, chance of fighting outlaw group on overland battlemap
Outlaw - Chance to gain some extra cash, also a chance to have an Overland battle with a group of Law NPCs
Mutant/Science - ? no idea
Holy - Perform miracles for rural country folk

But as far as earning keywords based on performing certain tasks, that idea does appeal to me with some reservations. I'm writing up a list of badges, more like Achievements, that players can earn for performing missions/actions under certain extreme variables, but I hadn't intended for those to have any in-game effect. Maybe though they would need something added to get players to actually invest time/energy/heroes into achieving any of them. I could see adding something in for visiting X landmarks and such to earn keywords, but there would need to be some kind of limiting factor to it so you don't build some SuperHero that has all the keywords under the sun. Perhaps you can only ever have one earned keyword at a time, I'd hate for there to be a time-limit since that'd be one more thing to track.

Maybe even this could be a way of dual-classing characters? So maybe each keyword or each class has a set of requirements that must be performed and if your Hero meets them all then your Hero can pick up a weaker version of one of that class's abilities. So maybe a Lawman dual-classing as a Gunslinger can get a once per fight +2 Damage bonus to a single shot and he can use Gunslinger only equipment. Things like that where you can create some sort of class-combinations with each other maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Why were we not in the movie?
mbmbmbmbmb
dahak wrote:
Philip Jelley wrote:

The Indian Scout gets restricted items in Town with his Tribal keyword (And by not having Holy in the case of Conversion)

There aren't any Requires Scout items yet and I don't recall it being useful in any Encounter.

Which means the Scout's Hat is only useful fore the move bonus currently.

Does Holy cancel Tribal in some instances?

Of the upcoming classes, the only one I would think might have the Scout Keyword are the Jargono Tribal Humans.

Wandering Samurai
Doctor
Cowboy
Gambler
Jargono Tribal Human
Prospector
Orphan
Drifter
Darkstone Shaman

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paddirn wrote:
I remember that was a point someone had brought up during development of HexCrawl to make the keywords more meaningful apart from just affecting what equipment you could have. I'll be adding some additional Overland actions as I develop expanding out HexCrawl and certainly I could see adding keyword-specific abilities or actions to the mix. Some keywords seem specifically tied to overland map travel, but I'm not sure what all some of the other keywords could bring to the mix:

Frontier - increased Healing while traveling with posse?
Scout - while searching overland hexes, ability to discard & redraw results (similar to his basic ability)
Traveler - ability to move farther on the overland map
Performer - setup a performance and make money?
Showman - ? What the hell would a gunslinger do other than get into duels?
Law - Police an area for outlaws, chance of fighting outlaw group on overland battlemap
Outlaw - Chance to gain some extra cash, also a chance to have an Overland battle with a group of Law NPCs
Mutant/Science - ? no idea
Holy - Perform miracles for rural country folk

But as far as earning keywords based on performing certain tasks, that idea does appeal to me with some reservations. I'm writing up a list of badges, more like Achievements, that players can earn for performing missions/actions under certain extreme variables, but I hadn't intended for those to have any in-game effect. Maybe though they would need something added to get players to actually invest time/energy/heroes into achieving any of them. I could see adding something in for visiting X landmarks and such to earn keywords, but there would need to be some kind of limiting factor to it so you don't build some SuperHero that has all the keywords under the sun. Perhaps you can only ever have one earned keyword at a time, I'd hate for there to be a time-limit since that'd be one more thing to track.

Maybe even this could be a way of dual-classing characters? So maybe each keyword or each class has a set of requirements that must be performed and if your Hero meets them all then your Hero can pick up a weaker version of one of that class's abilities. So maybe a Lawman dual-classing as a Gunslinger can get a once per fight +2 Damage bonus to a single shot and he can use Gunslinger only equipment. Things like that where you can create some sort of class-combinations with each other maybe?

The Scout would be great to allow the party to treat one space as easy/normal terrain especially the mountains. Very thematic. I was thinking that it is silly to just put a hat on and bam you are now a Traveler and have access to cool weapons and musical instruments. You can't dress up the gunslinger to look like a wilderness scout if they haven't earned it. Maybe between levels 1-4 you can have one added keyword(after you've "earned" it) and after 5 one more. With the limitation being you can only have 3 at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
Beorndog wrote:
dahak wrote:
Philip Jelley wrote:

Which means the Scout's Hat is only useful for the move bonus currently.

Does Holy cancel Tribal in some instances?

Nah. The requirement to get Conversion from the Church is not having Holy. I wouldn't be surprised if the Shamen has Holy.

Beorndog wrote:
Of the upcoming classes, the only one I would think might have the Scout Keyword are the Jargono Tribal Humans.

JTH is one I'm suspecting won't have it (Since that would make it close to superfluous since the JTH almost certainly has Tribal and only the Shamen is also likely to.)

Wandering Samurai
Cowboy
Prospector
Orphan
Drifter

Are the ones I could see might have it. Or the once mentioned Tredarrian Renegade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.