Popular Tags: [View All]
Wilhelm Fitzpatrick
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Backroom Dealings" thread alluded to players going half and half on opinions polls, or payoffs to take certain actions. Are players allowed to freely give each other money in the game? Since I had seen nothing saying money could change hands in the rules I had assumed it to be verboten, but perhaps I assumed wrong?

This seems like a huge FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't remember seeing it anywhere in the rules, but I think it would be strongly against the spirit of the game to give money to each other. Think how that would look - one party bribing another!
You may of course introduce a house rule (e.g. lose 1 die of party membership for every 4,000 transferred, or so)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, but neither the German laws nor the rules for this game allow bribes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Great Dane wrote:
neither the German laws nor the rules for this game allow bribes.

funny!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I have to rethink my Essen trip next year... I'd hate to go to jail for playing "Die Macher" incorrectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think this is quite as clear cut as the above posters make it.

The end of the 2nd edition rules say the following (English translation):

"The game has some elements of negotiation, which require discussion with other players. Negotiation and trading bring interaction into the game, and heighten it's dramatic elements..."

You can say that trading in this instance means only trading favours (trading futures, &c.) or you can say that trading means that you can trade whatever, which is what I generally think of when I think of the word negotiation.

I don't think there is a clear consensus on this. When I first played the game with Josh Miller he made it clear that he had not played with full money changing hands negotiation before. But when I played with Morgan, it was clear that he had. I have never played the game without full negotiation including money exchange, and I like what it does to the game.

I suppose at this point it could be listed as a variant to the game system though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilhelm Fitzpatrick
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't laugh, the Brettspielregelrechtgebot of 1615 is part of the foundation of modern German law. They take this stuff very seriously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilhelm Fitzpatrick
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting... here's the comparable section from the International rules:

"The game has some elements of negotiation, which require discussion with other players. Negotiations bring interaction into the game, and heighten its dramatic elements, however, no agreements made during the game are binding. It is the player’s responsibility to decide how much they should trust the other players and to ensure that any treachery is suitably rewarded."

I'm curious what's being translated as "trading" from the second second ed rules... If it's "handeln" that carries more of an emphasis of "bargaining" than actual goods exchange to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kruijt
Netherlands
Eindhoven
NBr
flag msg tools
This overtext intentionally left blank.
badge
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
mbmbmbmbmb
The german text (of the Valley Games edition) reads:
Quote:
Verhandlungen und Absprachen beleben die Kommunikation unter den Spielern und tragen so zur Dramatisierung des Spiels bei.

which means as much as:
Quote:
Negotiations and agreements enliven communication between the players and thus add to the dramatic elements of the game.

Nothing about bribery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peterk wrote:
The german text (of the Valley Games edition) reads:
Quote:
Verhandlungen und Absprachen beleben die Kommunikation unter den Spielern und tragen so zur Dramatisierung des Spiels bei.
which means as much as:
Negotiations and agreements
enliven communication between the players and thus add to the dramatic elements of the game.

Nothing about bribery.

Which is exactly what German (and European) politics is all about - as we will see in the negotiations after the Dutch election yesterday!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kruijt
Netherlands
Eindhoven
NBr
flag msg tools
This overtext intentionally left blank.
badge
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
mbmbmbmbmb
In the dutch case it probably means there will be a lot of negotiation, some agreements and we can make our way to the voting booth again somewhere in april next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.